Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Bridge Operator Lowers The Boom On Freighter

I believe one of our forumers is a bridge operator on the Rouge, maybe the railroad bridge?

http://www.freep.com/article/2013051...t-ship-damaged

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I believe one of our forumers is a bridge operator on the Rouge, maybe the railroad bridge?

It'll either be the rouge river bridge connecting Delray to River Rouge, the bridge @ Dix & Miller Rd.s, or the Fort St. Oakwood bridge. All 3 have similar architecture.

I'm not a drawbridge operator but I used to sail through that bridge over a hundred times a year for a few years in the middle of the last decade. This is the Jefferson Street drawbridge, in the neighborhood of the Detroit Water Treatment Plant. It's the first road bridge you encounter of the 6 movable bridges going upbound from the main river to the Rouge Turning Basin [[Shortcut Canal, Jefferson, Conrail, NS, Fort Street, Dix Avenue).

The river is classified as a no-wake zone and if you've ever been down there to see one of the freighters navigate the Rouge you know they're not going all that fast. The Interlake fleet vessels have had the contracts to deliver taconite ore to the Rouge Plant for over 20 years and the crew would be well seasoned with a trip up this river. The sight of the bridge leaves closing right in front of the boat would be noticed instantly. Based on the reports I've read, the eastern leaf of the bridge took the brunt of the damage from the steamer Herbert C. Jackson. Damage to the boat appears to be minimal and my guess is they had almost stopped when the impact occurred. The bridge leaves took the brunt of the impact based on their weight balance and distribution, and of course, the force and weight of a fully loaded ore carrier would have a significant impact on the steel frame and latticework of a drawbridge.

I'm just glad this wasn't a Windoc 2.0. It was traveling through the Welland Canal 12 years ago approaching one of the vertical lift bridges which inexplicably began lowering as the front of the vessel came under the span. They tried to stop but the pilot house and after cabins were knocked off the superstructure and caught fire. The force of the impact tore them right off and was so great that the hull fractured in multiple places. The ship was considered a total loss and retired after the incident. If the Jefferson bridge leaves had come down only a minute later, this same result could have ensued, so happy it did not!

The Fort Street bascule bridge is due to be closed this summer while it is disassembled and a new bridge constructed on new footings. The Dix Avenue bridge would be a specified detour [[DDOT re-routes began over this route in late April), but motorists could also use I-75 via Dearborn Avenue. Now with Jefferson also out of service, more detours will be imposed.

As of Sunday afternoon, it looks like they've been able to raise the western leaf of the bridge successfully. The leaves can be operated independently, but standard practice is, of course, to have them both interlocked so they raise and lower together. It looks like the bridge operator may have been intoxicated.

Yes, it is the Jefferson Ave. bridge. It was heavily damaged when it closed in front of the ship Herbert C. Jackson. The Jackson was less than 100 feet from the bridge when it closed in front of them. They were able to get one bow anchor and the stern anchor down but were not able to stop in time. They were likely moving at around 2-2.5 mph when this happened. The speed limit in the Rouge is 4 mph. No fault at all on the part of the ship. The River Rouge police removed the operator and turned her over to the US Coast Guard. She appeared to be heavily intoxicated. I heard the whole thing, but did not see it. The noise of the anchors dropping attracted my attention.

^^^ Thanks for the details on this BBB, I knew you'd have them.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-13-13 at 06:56 PM.

I'm curious as to the bridge operators duties. How far in advance and how are they notified of an approching ship? How much time in advance of the ship arriving is the bridge lifted? I think I read somewhere that the NS bridge operator is also a railroad dispatcher. What other tasks are the operators responsible for? How long are the shifts and could fatigue have been a factor in this?

Fatigue leading to boredom leading to alcohol abuse, perhaps. So...yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    OR, for all you conspiracy theorists, maybe after all these years of opening and closing the bridge, day in, day out, she thought "hmmmmmm, what would happen if I just............."
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-13-13 at 08:45 AM.

They could have designed the bridge with a sensor that would detect an obstacle and avoid collision.

Maybe they just never anticipated a human error so boneheaded.

Or maybe distracted by 'texting'?

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Or maybe distracted by 'texting'?
    She was getting a text that said "HEY!!!!! OPEN THE BRIDGE!!!!!"

The sole duty of a Wayne County bridge operator is to ensure the bridge is opened promptly for marine traffic and to ensure that no vehicles or pedestrians are on the bridge when they open it/close it. There are CCTV cameras that show the walkways and bridge opening to ensure these areas are clear before the bridge it operated. These operators can work double shifts and aren't limited on their time on duty as far as I'm aware.

On my bridge, a railroad bridge, my duties are more complex. My primary job is to operate the interlocker which controls the switches and signals for the train movements, enter rail car numbers into a computer system, and deal with the "bridge" aspects as well. We are very busy here. Last month we logged an average of 65 trains per day and just over 4 bridge openings per day. The number of bridge openings will increase as summer and fall progress. The busiest month being June. Tonight so far, I've got my 7th train enroute, 2 waiting and a boat coming in 15 minutes. [[1.5 hours time)

Also the Coast Guard did release a report confirming that the BAC of the Jefferson Bridge operator was over the .08 legal limit. Rumor is she had to be assisted to exit the tower, but I cannot confirm this as fact. Also for the record, we are limited to working no more than 8 hours per day [[9 in an emergency) and must have 15 hours rest time before we are able to work again. We are also randomly drug and alcohol tested, as well as for pre-employment/post accident.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBBrew View Post
    The sole duty of a Wayne County bridge operator is to ensure the bridge is opened promptly for marine traffic and to ensure that no vehicles or pedestrians are on the bridge when they open it/close it. There are CCTV cameras that show the walkways and bridge opening to ensure these areas are clear before the bridge it operated. These operators can work double shifts and aren't limited on their time on duty as far as I'm aware.

On my bridge, a railroad bridge, my duties are more complex. My primary job is to operate the interlocker which controls the switches and signals for the train movements, enter rail car numbers into a computer system, and deal with the "bridge" aspects as well. We are very busy here. Last month we logged an average of 65 trains per day and just over 4 bridge openings per day. The number of bridge openings will increase as summer and fall progress. The busiest month being June. Tonight so far, I've got my 7th train enroute, 2 waiting and a boat coming in 15 minutes. [[1.5 hours time)
    Sounds like a cool job. You're like a Land Traffic Controller. Are the motors opening and closing those bridges electric?
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-14-13 at 06:24 AM.

I've noticed a lot more Canadian Pacific traffic on the NS line by I 94. I assuming this is coming through the tunnel then over your bridge through Melvindale Yard then on to Chicago? I read online that NS has some engines painted in old color schemes of former railroads. I've been keeping an eye out for them but have not seen any, have you? I also read that NS is doing some steam engine runs and was wondering if any are coming to Detroit. I'm not a huge railfan but the line passes through my neighborhood so I do have an interest.

First. Yes the motors are electric. They are actually only something like 15 HP each. [[one on each side) This low HP is possible because the bridge is counterweighted [[think how easy it is to tip a balanced teeter totter back and forth) and also because of the gearing systems.

Second. I don't work on the NS bridge, so I'm not aware of an increase in CP traffic. You are correct that CP traffic comes from the tunnel. NS has been doing a very cool program of Heritage units painted up on former colors of the railroads they've absorbed through the years. You will occasionally see one up this way and there is a tracking site online that I think NS provides that shows their locations. Rumor is that NS is going to reactivate their "J" class steam engine 611, which I hope they do. We shall see what happens.

NS has been doing a very cool program of Heritage units painted up on former colors of the railroads they've absorbed through the years. You will occasionally see one up this way and there is a tracking site online that I think NS provides that shows their locations. Rumor is that NS is going to reactivate their "J" class steam engine 611, which I hope they do. We shall see what happens.
    I found two sites online.

First one is an overview of the Heritage locomotives.

Second is a map for tracking them in real time.

I checked the site for tracking them and it shows none of the units have been in Michigan. I checked a similar site a couple of weeks ago, same thing. I'm surprised being that the line from Melvindale to St. Louis is a major NS line. I've seen some Union Pacific engines as well as Burlington Northern Sante Fe which are unusual for these parts. I'll keep watching for the Heritage units. I hope the steam engines make an appearance too. I remember years ago they brought them to Melvindale yard, what a sight to see. One of the yard workers told me the headlight on the steam engine was so bright they could see it down the line at Milan as it approached.

I checked the site for tracking them and it shows none of the units have been in Michigan. I checked a similar site a couple of weeks ago, same thing. I'm surprised being that the line from Melvindale to St. Louis is a major NS line. I've seen some Union Pacific engines as well as Burlington Northern Sante Fe which are unusual for these parts. I'll keep watching for the Heritage units. I hope the steam engines make an appearance too. I remember years ago they brought them to Melvindale yard, what a sight to see. One of the yard workers told me the headlight on the steam engine was so bright they could see it down the line at Milan as it approached.

Interesting. I know they've been up here, in fact, the Virginian unit was here last night at Oakwood Yard by Outer Drive and Allen Road. My friend sent me a picture of it about an hour ago.

I was off yesterday so didn't go by there. My job takes me by Oakwood yard 10-15 times a day. I'll look today and see if its still there, maybe by the fueling pad.

Channel 4 has posted a story with a link to the radio chatter between the Coast Guard and the boat.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/r...z/-/index.html

The police confirmed to the captain that the bridge operator was wasted [[and arrested). I wonder how the captain found out? Did the police yell from shore?

Captain maintained his cool quite well. I'd hire that guy to drive my boat any time! LOL

Its a good thing there is more than one bridge that crosses the Rouge, unlike the Detroit River where we only have the Ambassamaroun.

Its a good thing there is more than one bridge that crosses the Rouge, unlike the Detroit River where we only have the Ambassamaroun.
    There's the McArthur too.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    There's the McArthur too.
    Only crosses half the river though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast