Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Whittier Hotel

Default Whittier Hotel

Found a youtube video with urban explorer's discovering a work area and plans for a renovation of the main hotel that fell apart in the financial crisis. My cousin got married there around 1960 when it was a very fashionable venue... any movement on this project?

I was at the Whittier Hotel today and there appears to be work going on at the old riverfront building. There were trucks out front and a debris chute from one of the windows. The front door was open, there were lights on and equipment inside the lobby. The manager of the adjacent occupied building was unaware of what was happening there.

I hope something happens. Given it's location it seems crazy that we havent heard anything regarding it amidst the rest of the development news over the last couple of years.

Here's a plan of a typical floor of the taller, river facing tower of the Whittier.

The Whittier was constructed as a residential hotel with a large, elegant garden and river fronting public dining room off the lobby. So most apartments just have very small kitchens.

Some apartments have swing bedrooms that could be connected to either adjoining unit. That meant that, for example, the apartment in the SW corner [[upper right in the scan) could be as large as 3 bedrooms with ensuite baths. Many apartments have large closets in their living rooms. These were to accommodate Murphy Beds.

All the units contained a foyer [[reception hall) and most also had a smaller service hall that provided access to the kitchen.

Because of the angle of the river, some of the west facing units have a nice view of downtown.

When I have more time, I'll post the plans of the shorter, red brick section of the Whittier.

Name:  Whittaker #1.jpg
Views: 1571
Size:  169.8 KB

I hope this building gets renovated. My hope is that this will spur some kind of additional development along the land just south of the building. In addition, some kind of retail development along the north end of the senior complex would be ideal, instead of using all the land for parking. Buy the land just west of the complex [[where the two vacant apartment buildinds are located) and build a parking structure and you'll have room for retail development at the corner of Burns and Jefferson.

Quite frankly, that whole area south of Jefferson could use some retail development. Instead of all that parking between Jefferson and the Shoreline East condos and other residential towers, one could build a parking deck with ground floor retail. Owen Park to me is an unnecessary park given the fact that Erma Henderson Park is two properties over and bigger. Some type of retail/residential development on the Owen Park site would be a better use of that property. Getting the Whittier Hotel renovated could definitely jump start a lot of development in that area. I hope that happens soon.
    Last edited by royce; August-17-15 at 12:00 AM.

Here are some floor plans of the lower, Jefferson facing section of the Whittier. Lots of studios and small one bedroom units. The corner apartments have two bedroom, except the second bedroom in some becomes a sunroom. All the kitchens, kitchenettes really, are very small.

Name:  Whittier #2.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  232.9 KB

Name:  Whittier #3.jpg
Views: 1336
Size:  202.7 KB

Default Whittier Hotel Renovation?

Almost 8 years since the last post on this subject, but I was there today and there is definitely something going on. The main floor appears to be renovated and well lit and there was a meeting going on with display boards picturing project designs - which thru the dirty windows appears to be townhouses of some kind. The expansive lawn that stretches down to the riverfront contains two ancient large boat wells.

Quote Originally Posted by expatriate View Post
    Almost 8 years since the last post on this subject, but I was there today and there is definitely something going on.
    The first post is from 2013, the last is 2015. 8 years, huh?

Nice to take the time to update.

Lots of history behind that one,interesting how it was built to supply a houseing shortage demand and now 80 years later the cycle returns.

Oops! was looking at join date I guess.

Hey, expat, some people are ahead of their time...

So, who owns the building now? Last I heard, it was a local developer, but that was years ago. I'm not sure if it's changed hands since then.

You can find ownership info for every property in the city here: https://makeloveland.com

Quote Originally Posted by expatriate View Post
    Oops! was looking at join date I guess.
    Haha no worries! I'm just joshin'

Quote Originally Posted by ndavies View Post
    You can find ownership info for every property in the city here: https://makeloveland.com
    Thanks. Yep, it appears Phoenix Communities still owns all parts of the property, the Whittier Manors low-rise portion under another LLC, and Phoenix Communities proper for the tower. It also appears the tower's tax status is that it's subject to foreclosure if the county wanted it.

So much land around it. I don't suspect this will sit vacant for much longer.