Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Moving for work from L.A

Hi All,

Thank you taking your time and hopefully yall are able to answer my questions.

I am moving to Detroit in a month, will be working in Romulus. How's Romulus? Is it a good area to live in? How's Dearborn, Dearborn Height or Taylor? I will live in Detroit for at least 3-4 years.

Where is a good place for young professional or graduate students hang out? Are there a location where international people meet? or some sort of clubs?

Sadly, I will have no friends in Detroit. My co-workers are at least 10 years older than me.

Thank in advance! Cheer!

I'd have to say Ann Arbor. It's about the same distance from Ann Arbor to Romulus as it is from Detroit to Romulus. Lots of graduate students [[I was one), international people, plenty of clubs, great restaurants and of course Michigan Football...Go Blue!!!
    Last edited by MidTownMs; May-12-13 at 12:31 PM.

First, welcome to Detroit. No friends here??? You already have friends here on DY. Lots of things coming up to do outside since spring has finally shown up. Others will chime in with all sorts of info. Best of luck with your new job!

I expect you could find someplace you would like in Detroit, but if you are working in Romulus and interested in a grad student kind of vibe, you definitely should check out Ann Arbor. Detroit in general isn't like that.

I would have to say Midtown, Detroit. Wayne State provides plenty of grad student activity. There are also going to be many new apartments available in the near future and prices are often less expensive than Ann Arbor.

Where in L.A. do you live? That could maybe help us guide you choice.

Go back! You won't last 2 days in Detroit!

Just kidding! Welcome to Detroit. I would agree with the others and say check out Ann Arbor, given your work is in Romulus.

There is a Remus Michigan ....

The Detroit area doesn't have a very large foreign born population. I'd say your best best for meeting young international transplants would be near the large local universities: either Ann Arbor or in the Midtown Detroit area.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    Go back! You won't last 2 days in Detroit!

Just kidding! Welcome to Detroit. I would agree with the others and say check out Ann Arbor, given your work is in Romulus.

There is a Remus Michigan ....
    I never knew there was a Remus. Shouldn't it be closer to Romulus?

Hey new guy! Ann arbor and Wayne state are both cool grad areas, but have different vibes. AA has a much larger school footprint and is much more college centered. It's development is complete, so its easy to move on in, find the spots and folks that suit you, and call it a day. There is also a large medical research presence there. The culture tends to be a little more fratty than WS, but its expected when you have an exceptional sports program.

WS is real cool, with diverse types of people living several different types of lifestyles. The setting is urban and gritty [[which I think is awesome but I'm biased), and is within the throes of redevelopment, which can be exciting and provide opportunities for newcomers to get involved in the process. Their schtick tends to be studies in sociology and labor issues, but they also have an exceptional sports medicine partnership with some of the area hospitals. It is Detroit, so you'd have to be somewhat tolerant of things you probably won't see as much of in AA, or at all for that matter, but if you are the type to take most things as a learning experience, you'll be alright.

Both areas have superior access to great hospitals, events, restaurants, and freeways. And they both have an "Urban professional" crowd. So in all, you should decide what kind of landscape youre into and go with that. Both areas are great.

BTW, come to the DYes picnic, you'll have new friends no matter what city you go with.
    Last edited by detroitsgwenivere; May-12-13 at 03:05 PM.

From Romulus, I'd say Ann Arbor, Ypsilanti, maybe even Lansing. All college towns.

Hope you like plane noise. Metro Airport is in Romulus and air traffic is heavy.

I would NOT recommend you go into Detroit without people who know the area. A wrong turn down the wrong street could be very unfortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I would NOT recommend you go into Detroit without people who know the area. A wrong turn down the wrong street could be very unfortunate.
    I disagree with this. Of course it is possible that a wrong turn down a wrong street could be unfortunate, but it is also unlikely. And if you are trying to get someplace specific in Detroit, there isn't any reason you need to be going down wrong streets in the first place.

Sorta depends on what you're tryin to spend and what you are used to [[willing to get used to). You can expect your cost of living to go down, which im assuming you already know. If you do reasonably well already then Ann Arbor. If you're just starting out Depot Town or near campus in Ypsi. I wouldn't suggest any other part of Ypsi for what you're looking for. Im trying to decide what part of LA is similar to Midtown. Bit of a skid row vibe with students and some young professionals. South end of midtown sorta evolved into Detroit's skid row over time. Educational institutions, bars, restaurants and a certain momentum. An area resisting gentrification but improving in measurable ways. So long as you aren't seeking trouble or running around trying to score drugs you should be fine. Your car on the other hand maybe not. Detroit as a whole is block to block. One block may look nice, the next may look terrible. Unfortunately the ratio of stable to challenged is bad and getting worse. Outside of downtown there are pockets of semi affluence surrounded by desperation. I say semi because the same houses in LA would cost 5 million plus and here there are 100-300K. Maybe a little more. Not really looking so idk.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I disagree with this. Of course it is possible that a wrong turn down a wrong street could be unfortunate, but it is also unlikely. And if you are trying to get someplace specific in Detroit, there isn't any reason you need to be going down wrong streets in the first place.
    Not surprising coming from Meddle.

Hi Flybrew... welcome to Metro Detroit!

If you want a 50 mile daily monotonous round trip and very expensive housing costs... then Ann Arbor is for you... Ann Arbor in winter sucks... they don't do a good job of snow removal and don't believe in salting them.

There are many places in metro Detroit that are within easy freeway access [[unlike LA, our freeways actually move people)... and you will find housing VERY affordable. It all depends on if you want to live near nightspots, or be able to drive to them within a 20 minute timeframe.

But the amount of money you save every month in living costs [[not living in Ann Arbor) will enable you to spend more discressionary income on your other pursuits in metro Detroit. Rather than say a hundred nightspots to choose in Ann Arbor... there's a thousand to choose from in metro Detroit. Some are nautical based, others educational based, others hipster based, and also many ethnically base.

Check out your options first!
    Last edited by Gistok; May-12-13 at 07:15 PM.

I truly love all metro Detroit for different reasons, and could recommend just about each town for one reason or another. I'm partial to short drives so working in Romulus would make A2 further than I'd prefer, but A2 atmosphere is fantastic. Canton's probably my best suggestion because it would be about a 15 minute drive. The 275 bike path is phenomenal. Nice apartment options, very suburban, lots of chain restaurants, but also great choice of Indian, Mexican, sushi, etc., and accessible to everything. Ikea's right there for your new furnishings. Almost every part of Metro Detroit is reasonably accessible from Canton, including Ann Arbor. Canton has great city services including a very nice fitness center. Docs is a nearby popular sports bar in Livonia, and there are many hotspots slightly north in Northville and Plymouth, then east from there will take you to Royal Oak and Ferndale. Detroit sports, theaters, festivals, museums, are all easy access via 96 or 94. Wow, I could go on and on.

romulus still hasnt dealt with that whole chief of police + deputies spending evidence money on hookers and drugs charge. somethin strange going on there.

no ones mentioned ferndale/royal oak for young urbanites?
    dearborn is a great city too.

welcome to the D!
    dont get a great car your first year here. if the weather and potholes dont destroy it, these destruction derby drivers will.

Quote Originally Posted by flybrew View Post
    Hi All,

Thank you taking your time and hopefully yall are able to answer my questions
    Well, you already have a Detroit Accent so you'll be fine....

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    I'd have to say Ann Arbor. It's about the same distance from Ann Arbor to Romulus as it is from Detroit to Romulus. Lots of graduate students [[I was one), international people, plenty of clubs, great restaurants and of course Michigan Football...Go Blue!!!
    Go Blue!!!

Here's my only issue with Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor is basically two different cities. Campus...everything else. Town vs. Gown, if you will. If you are looking for a young, vibrant scene of highly educated 20-somethings...Ann Arbor is awesome.

Except for one thing. 99% of those highly educated 20-somethings that are living this vibrant life with you will no longer be on campus within 2 years. I work in Ann Arbor/Ypsi 3-4 days per week. But the biggest thing that moved me back to Detroit was to be closer to the friends that I'd actually build roots with. I had a really active dating and social life that was hard to say goodbye to. But by 4 years in to it, I was on my 2nd and 3rd round of Friday-night friends. I finally got frustrated moved to Greater Downtown Detroit. Though I think Ferndale and Royal Oak could've been fine too.

It's takes more effort to build that scene in Metro Detroit, there's no question. But once you do, your social calendar will be as robust as you desire...and the good thing is that in 4 years, I haven't had a single friend from Metro Detroit move out of the state.

I live in Detroit [[in Corktown), but that's just because I really like sports and the arts/culture more than I like convenient shopping. And after 4 years of partying hard, I'm actually slowing down. Meetup.com might be a good place to at least get your feet wet.

Check out D:Hive Detroit [[http://dhivedetroit.org/) to hear about how other transplants are finding their way around the city and surrounding suburbs.

My 2 cents.
    Last edited by corktownyuppie; May-12-13 at 09:41 PM.

If you don't know Detroit...stay the heck out, unless you have lots of life insurance, like sky high car insurance, and can get a CCW and appropriate hardware to go with it! Ann Arbor or Romulus get my vote!

Welcome to Detroityes! Can you rent in Dearborn short-term perhaps to give yourself time to check things out beyond online? I work in East Dearborn and there are nice duplexes available. Shopping and general amenities are very good and you're near Detroit, Southfield, Westland, Romulus, etc.

From Dearborn you'd be near I-94, the Southfield Freeway and Telegraph from which to explore and Eastbound I-94 is a straight shot to Downtown Detroit with WSU not far, hang a left north on the Lodge [[US-10) and you have Ferndale and Royal Oak. And Michigan Ave. E. takes you to Corktown.

The fly-over traffic of Romulus is a bit much but some people say they get used to it...
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-13-13 at 06:24 AM.

I did... And yeah the kind of car means everything here relative to insurance rates and car theft. Some cars are thief magnets. Most Chrysler products come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    no ones mentioned ferndale/royal oak for young urbanites? dearborn is a great city too.

welcome to the D!
    dont get a great car your first year here. if the weather and potholes dont destroy it, these destruction derby drivers will.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    Im trying to decide what part of LA is similar to Midtown.
    LA and Detroit are very different animals, but the RenCen looks a lot like the Bonaventure! http://deals.westin.com/Westin-Bonav...t_10512_NAD_FM

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post
    If you don't know Detroit...stay the heck out, unless you have lots of life insurance, like sky high car insurance, and can get a CCW and appropriate hardware to go with it! Ann Arbor or Romulus get my vote!
    There is absolutely nothing about Romulus that appeals to anything he has said he's looking for...

I'll echo the sentiments of others that your best options within reasonable commute distance are Ann Arbor and Midtown Detroit. Royal Oak/Ferndale is a good vibrant area for young professionals as well.

Your best bet for meeting internationals is going to be in Ann Arbor, though I'm unsure of what the best way to do that would be. Both AA and Midtown have a good amount of grad students and though both are heavily influenced by their respective schools, they both offer quite a bit more. If you like Ann Arbor but cost is an issue, you can also check out Ypsilanti. It is also a college town [[EMU) and right next door to AA. It's still a pretty decent place to hang out, and a short drive to the things you're looking for.

Royal Oak doesn't have the international population as much, nor the student/grad student population, but it is very young and active. The drive would be much worse than AA/Midtown, but if you're coming from LA, you'll probably be happy with the drive regardless.

I would suggest Midtown Detroit for a couple reasons.

1. You are actually needed here your presence and purchasing power is more important thatn it would be anywhere else

2. Midtown is begining to grow and it is good to see new things happening

3. Some of the states best cultural assets are in Midtown

4. Midtown has the same type of atmosphere as much of A2 but with a much sharper edge

5. Midtown will have a street car system by 2015

6. Commute to Romulus from Midtown, will be better than A2 to Romulus [[ i have done Both)

7. You can get a cooler space to live in for less money

Bonus reason, midtown Detroit adjacent to many great detroit neighborhoods and really many great SE Mich cities

Quote Originally Posted by flybrew View Post
    Hi All,

Thank you taking your time and hopefully yall are able to answer my questions.

I am moving to Detroit in a month, will be working in Romulus. How's Romulus? Is it a good area to live in? How's Dearborn, Dearborn Height or Taylor? I will live in Detroit for at least 3-4 years.

Where is a good place for young professional or graduate students hang out? Are there a location where international people meet? or some sort of clubs?

Sadly, I will have no friends in Detroit. My co-workers are at least 10 years older than me.

Thank in advance! Cheer!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast