Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I think this thread along with the other 2 threads recently asking about the city are bogus! Look at all the recent threads, they are a quite similar. Someone is having a good chuckle at our expense.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I think this thread along with the other 2 threads recently asking about the city are bogus! Look at all the recent threads, they are a quite similar. Someone is having a good chuckle at our expense.
    You mean he's NOT from L.A. ??????

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I thought all of these "hi, I'm moving to Detroit" threads were bogus. I'd be surprised to see one that's actually legit [[cue o/p coming back to the thread to reassure us that he's authentic).

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    There is absolutely nothing about Romulus that appeals to anything he has said he's looking for...
    Like she gives a shit about the actual question. She uses every one of these threads to bash Detroit.

Corktownyuppie had a great post. I went to Wayne on the other hand. Though it was a few years ago, much of the student population is notorious for going to class and then hopping back on the freeway and heading home. Campus/student life was very non-traditional. Living in the Cass Corridor, even close to campus. much of the population was actually non-student, and that is probably true today.

My vote would to to Ann Arbor or Midtown Detroit. Pretty much the best areas you're going to find concentrations of graduate students and international folk.

These guys are actually in Midtown, and have been for years, attesting to the cosmopolitan nature of the neighborhood. They can also probably hook you up meeting people. http://www.iimd.org/

Romulus is really dumpy. There's no reason to live there whatsoever.

Midtown Detroit to Romulus is about a 15-20 minute drive. Downtown Ann Arbor to Romulus is about a 20-25 minute drive. However, traffic around Ann Arbor is horrible during the rush hours. Ann Arbor is a great place to live if you are near the downtown area but it is very expensive. Midtown Detroit is a lot more cost effective I think. Ypsilanti is another option- it's grittier than Ann Arbor but has a lot of cool places to hang out, both in the downtown/Depot Town area and near EMU campus.

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    I'll echo the sentiments of others that your best options within reasonable commute distance are Ann Arbor and Midtown Detroit. Royal Oak/Ferndale is a good vibrant area for young professionals as well.

Your best bet for meeting internationals is going to be in Ann Arbor, though I'm unsure of what the best way to do that would be. Both AA and Midtown have a good amount of grad students and though both are heavily influenced by their respective schools, they both offer quite a bit more. If you like Ann Arbor but cost is an issue, you can also check out Ypsilanti. It is also a college town [[EMU) and right next door to AA. It's still a pretty decent place to hang out, and a short drive to the things you're looking for.

Royal Oak doesn't have the international population as much, nor the student/grad student population, but it is very young and active. The drive would be much worse than AA/Midtown, but if you're coming from LA, you'll probably be happy with the drive regardless.
    I agree with Spartan ,
    I also moved from LA to Detroit , born here , moved away when I was [[16) in 84. I've been back for about 4 years now ! yikes !
    I'd come back every year to visit, I know the city and it's history pretty well.
    A big No to Romulus , too far and no social/city life , it's a typical suburb you can find anywhere .

AA is ok , a lot like Brentwood without westwood.
    it would help to know what part of LA you are moving from
    Royal Oak and Midtown are your best bet, remember Detroit is NOT LA, it's a blue collar , rough city, I have a love/ hate relationship with the city.
    The city has a lot to offer , great sports teams, Eastern Market, DIA ect .
    Explore the city , embrace the city on it's terms .
    It can be a frustrating city , try to make friends ASAP, it will def help enjoying the city, it's always tough to move to a new city with no family or friends .
    Remember Detroit is a city in transition , it's not like most big American cities "move in ready".

I have family here ,not many friends, and it's still tough .
    If you have any questions just ask

Yeah my neighbors moved out here from LA and love it - they are in the arts/entertainment industry, so they fit in well in Detroit.

I'd agree with the Ann Arbor suggestion; that's probably OP's best bet given what he's looking for. If he wants to live a little cheaper, then Midtown Detroit would be good as well. I'm a young professional who mostly hangs out with young professionals and there's lots to keep me busy here.
    Last edited by TexasT; May-14-13 at 11:41 AM.

Romulus is really dumpy. It's one of the last places I would choose to live in Metro Detroit.

I love the responses that assumes that the OP has no exposure to life in a city. Assuming he/she hasn't spent their life locked up in the exurbs of LA, they probably have actually experienced some sense of what it's like to live/visit a major urban city. Save the "you'll be shot/robbed if you go down the wrong street" advice for the kids from Kansas and Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasT View Post
    Yeah my neighbors moved out here from LA and love it - they are in the arts/entertainment industry, so they fit in well in Detroit.

I'd agree with the Ann Arbor suggestion; that's probably OP's best bet given what he's looking for. If he wants to live a little cheaper, then Midtown Detroit would be good as well. I'm a young professional who mostly hangs out with young professionals and there's lots to keep me busy here.
    I worked in the arts/entertainment industry also in LA and when I first moved here I was hopeful that it would grow in the city and state , but Snyder pretty much slowed that WAY down. I think Snyder was short sighted on that one !

I'm still open for work in the industry in Detroit and had contacts with Michigan film office , and Raleigh studios , so if anyone has any leads :-).

Not to high jack the tread , but I notice today a crew shooting in front of the federal court house .
    Last edited by Detroitdave; May-14-13 at 02:22 PM. Reason: edit

Hi Dave,

I am from Pasadena [[ Rose Bowl). I moved more than 5 times in the past couple years already for school in Oregon [[ Go Ducks) and and work [[ Scotland). Friends will come.

Crap! Well my company handled my housing situation for me. I will be living in a house surrounded by a golf course, Gateway Golf Course. Anyhow, I will stay there for 9 months. Then, I will find somewhere close to Downtown Detroit. I would love to get a loft overlooking the river. hahahaha

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by flybrew View Post
    Hi Dave,

I am from Pasadena [[ Rose Bowl). I moved more than 5 times in the past couple years already for school in Oregon [[ Go Ducks) and and work [[ Scotland). Friends will come.

Crap! Well my company handled my housing situation for me. I will be living in a house surrounded by a golf course, Gateway Golf Course. Anyhow, I will stay there for 9 months. Then, I will find somewhere close to Downtown Detroit. I would love to get a loft overlooking the river. hahahaha

Cheers!
    Hope you can make the best of it, that sounds fairly unappealing

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Hope you can make the best of it, that sounds fairly unappealing
    Well the company is located in Romulus. Did you expect any more?

Oh well....I have to start somewhere. I think it will be fine. I am only living there for 9 months.

Thank you for everyone's inputs. I certainly hope to meet with some of you.

Cheers,

Jeffrey

Hi I am interested in the picnic. Let me know where it is. will you post something on the website?

Yes, you are right! I can make friends anywhere. It is just up to me.

Cheers,

Hi I am interested in the picnic. Let me know where it is. will you post something on the website?

See thread called "Picnic news".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2