Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Issued handguns used by the Detroit police

What model and caliber handguns have been issued to Detroit police officers in its history. I know they now use the .40 Smith & Wesson M&P
    Last edited by ddaydetroit; May-11-13 at 05:54 PM.

there was the Glock G22 [[full sized .40sw) marked Detroit Police Department [[i used to have one) and DPD in the serial number...

there have been Smith & Wesson Model 10s with nickle finish...

Colt's Official Police in .38spl with nickle finish...

Colt's Police Positive Special in .38spl with nickle finish...

Colt's Detective Special in .38spl with nickle finish...

and i BELIEVE some Smith & Wesson Model 36s with a nickle finish...

the Colt's were roll marked with Detroit Police Department on the backstrap. and the 'big' guns were in 4" and 5" barreled versions...

these were almost ALWAYS carried in a leather flap holster [[that ive seen)...

60's and 70's, police officers were Colt Official Police with 5" barrel, S&W, Mod. 10, 5" barrel, both revolvers, 6-shot and most were Nickel plated. Plainclothes officers and detectives were issued, S&W, mod. 10 with 2" barrels, some may have been issued Colt revolvers with 2" barrels and these buns would have had 6 shot cylinders. Off-duty revolvers could be 5-shot but duty revolvers were 6-shot weapons.

That is a VERY long list
    Glock 22, 23,and 27 [[The 22, and 23 were issued in both 2nd and 3rd generation models)

Smith and Wesson M&P .40 full size & compact, model 10 different sizes, 64 snub and full size [[all the full size were sold before being issued when DPD changed to the glock), M&P revolver snub nose and full size, model 12, I know there are more just can't think of them. Most guns were nickle there were some models blued steel too

COLT Official Police MKIII, Official Police , Cobra, Army special , Detective special , Pre detective Special, Police Positve in .32, Police Positive in .38, 1903, once again others I am forgetting and once agin most were nickle plate tho some were blued steel.

Rifles and shotguns Winchester 97 shotguns riot and trench [[army surplus) M1 carbines all brands [[army surplus), Winchester model 12 riot shotguns, High standard shotguns, Ithaca shotguns, Remington 870 shotguns [[ still in use) Smith and Wesson M&P 15 [[brand new in use) Winchester 94 lever action 30-30's

Heckler and Koch [[SRT only) P7, USP 9

Machine Guns Thompson's, Uzi's fullsize and micro, Heckler Koch Mp series different models

Other The DPOA had a Walther PPK made and there is a 1978 DPD commemorative Smith and Wesson model 19. There were also all the revolvers and semi autos the Pistol team used.

And to top it all of any officer could carry any S&W, Colt larger than .38 that they could qualify with up until the change to the Glock and then some officers were grandfathered in and there are a couple who are still grandfather in currently on the job.

I am always looking for DPD marked guns email me at DPDguns@hotmail.com if anybody has any leads.

Just because I love showing it off
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Popcanman55; May-12-13 at 12:16 AM.

I have a nickle plated Colt Detective Special, 2nd generation with the ejector rod shroud that I bought off a Detroit cop who lived in Rosedale Park. It's in absolute mint condition, doesn't look like it's been fired much. It has no DPD markings on it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Popcanman55 View Post
    And to top it all of any officer could carry any S&W, Colt larger than .38 that they could qualify with up until the change to the Glock and then some officers were grandfathered in and there are a couple who are still grandfather in currently on the job.
    I know [[well, knew--she passed away in January) a DPD sergeant who carried a .45 long Colt until the day she retired in 2000.