Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Two fold question about major fires on the massive Westside of Detroit circa 1960's.

I grew up on the west side of Detroit in the shadow of Mackenzie High School.
    In August of 1964, the Ditzler's Paint factory on Oakman Blvd. and West Chicago exploded and a massive fire followed.
    I recall this incident as if it was yesterday, and being young as I was back then, how I recall the fear I experienced when it happened.
    Now, I have attempted to find pictures of this event, only finding one, and very limited information about this fire.
    Also, a few years later, [around 65 or 66?] in the area just behind and 1000ft or so from Ditzler's northeast corner building [still standing] there was a massive fire in a warehouse that held paper stock [for recycling].
    That the warehouse was bounded by R/R tracks on the west and south sides, and Bryden St. to the east, and Grand River St. to the north; it sat in an area behind Barry's War Surplus' storage yard across from the Barry's store, where the tanks were.
    I recall this fire as we all thought that Ditzler caught fire once again.
    This paper warehouse fire burned for a couple of days since it so intense.
    This particular fire I can find no info on what so ever.
    Any one with knowledge, info or pictures of these two fires, please help my fleeing memories.
    Thank you for any replies.

There's a history of the Detroit Fire Department that I'm sure has pictures of those fires:

http://detroitfirefighters.net/dfdhistory.html

I've seen it at John King Books and occasionally at other stores around town.

Oh wow!! I definitely remember both of those fires. I grew up near Tireman, within a mile and a few blocks from both locations. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I missed the paint factory initial explosion blast since I was out with my grandparents that afternoon. Although I was told about it when I got home, I did see the flames and smoke. The blast even broke out windows in the nearby Federal and Sears stores just to the north. The paper warehouse fire a few years later was just as terrifying and like you said lingered on for a few days.

My father use to gather old newspapers from relatives, pack them in the station-wagon along with my brothers and I, and take them to that same paper warehouse for money. I don't remember how much he got for them, but I do remember entering their yard behind the RR tracks at W. Chicago and Bryden.

A few years ago I ran across this UPI photo on eBay showing a picture of an August 1, 1964 fire at the Ditzler Paint Company in Detroit and always wondered if it was the same fire I remembered. Thanks highjinx2 for filling in the gaps.

Name:  ybx77.jpg
Views: 1889
Size:  50.8 KB
    Last edited by bc_n_dtown; September-26-13 at 02:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bc_n_dtown View Post
    Oh wow!! I definitely remember both of those fires. I grew up near Tireman, within a mile and a few blocks from both locations. Unfortunately, or fortunately, I missed the paint factory initial explosion blast since I was out with my grandparents that afternoon. Although I was told about it when I got home, I did see the flames and smoke. The blast even broke out windows in the nearby Federal and Sears stores just to the north. The paper warehouse fire a few years later was just as terrifying and like you said lingered on for a few days.

My father use to gather old newspapers from relatives, pack them in the station-wagon along with my brothers and I, and take them to that same paper warehouse for money. I don't remember how much he got for them, but I do remember entering their yard behind the RR tracks at W. Chicago and Bryden.

A few years ago I ran across this UPI photo on eBay showing a picture of an August 1, 1964 fire at the Ditzler Paint Company in Detroit and always wondered if it was the same fire I remembered. Thanks highjinx2 for filling in the gaps.

Name:  ybx77.jpg
Views: 1889
Size:  50.8 KB
    Thanks for the supportive info, I am still searching....sure wish Detroit Public Library had the newspaper digitized....