Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Another Silicon Valley sets up shop in Detroit

Shollin Guest

I know I'm going to be labeled a naysayer, but they're hiring 10 people. Why should I be excited?

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I know I'm going to be labeled a naysayer, but they're hiring 10 people. Why should I be excited?
    Because even Ford, GM and Chrysler once only had 10 people...

As for your label?? That train has left the station...

Shollin Guest

This isn't a new company and they aren't based in Detroit. If the company struggles, they're going to cut their Detroit limbs off first.

Why? because it is part of a critical mass that is building in Detroit

Aren't you always complaining that when suburban jobs move into the city it results in no net gain? [[Despite the economic activity that the relocations involve...) This will result in new hires from an out of state entity. There is no silver bullet for Detroit, but many small steps add up.

Shollin Guest

10 people is critical mass? Where is this Kool Aid I seem to be missing?

10 people is critical mass? Where is this Kool Aid I seem to be missing?
    Perhaps our resident wet blanket needs to get up to speed on the concept of a "start-up".

I think Shollin suffers from the same kind of "can't see the big picture" thinking as the people that are/were against the Belle Isle lease or city council budget cuts.

Yes, 10 folks is not a critical mass, just as the cuts and lease weren't a critical mass for the city's deficit. At the same time, you add up 10 workers here, 50 there, another 200 here, and so on, as has been happening with lots of firms, and you develop a critical mass, similar to how the lease and cuts are building blocks toward the ultimate goal of a financially solvent city.

All of which goes to say Shollin isn't the only one suffering from such a short-sighted view of things, which isn't surprising, given this region's historical focus on "big splashes" instead of on a series of sustainable, fundamental, incremental moves.

This, like all similar stories, is good news. Bravo to TubeMogul.
    Last edited by Eber Brock Ward; May-09-13 at 02:34 PM.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Aren't you always complaining when that suburban jobs moving to the city result in no net gain? [[Despite the economic activity that the relocations involve...) This will result in new hires from an out of state entity. There is no silver bullet for Detroit, but many small steps add up.
    I'm not complaining about them moving in. I just don't think it's news worthy. Actually, I think it's sad that a small company hiring 10 people is economic news. I'll be more exited if companies like ADA who came in and are hiring 150 employees show up. I still don't see the big investment in Detroit.

I'm not complaining about them moving in. I just don't think it's news worthy. Actually, I think it's sad that a small company hiring 10 people is economic news. I'll be more exited if companies like ADA who came in and are hiring 150 employees show up. I still don't see the big investment in Detroit.
    Its newsworthy because a few years ago, NO techy Silicon Valley company would have been doing this. Clearly, something about "Webword" really is taking hold.

all gains are good gains, but as Winston Wolf said,

"Well, let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet."

So according to you only large employers must apply? What is your benchmark level of employment in order to make a difference? 100 people? How do you make that determination?

What if I were to open an office in the city as a second location to my already successful and thriving professional services firm in Rochester? What if I were to tell you my partners and I were hiring an additional five people to staff that location? Would that be poo pooed by you in the same fashion? Your cynicism is extremely short sighted and unproductive.

Shollin Guest

I hired 3 people once to mow my lawn. Critical mass! In a city of 700,000 that only has 350,000 jobs, 10 jobs is nothing to write home about. Does Chicago really get this excited if 10 jobs open up in the loop?

I hired 3 people once to mow my lawn. Critical mass! In a city of 700,000 that only has 350,000 jobs, 10 jobs is nothing to write home about. Does Chicago really get this excited if 10 jobs open up in the loop?
    Probably not... but your comments here are always sooooooooo predictable...

Out of curiousity... those 3 that cut your grass... did you fire them one after another because you were not satisfied?? Because in the year you have been on this forum... I don't ever recall you being satisfied with any thread??

Shollin Guest

I moved to a development that takes care of lawn care so their services were no longer needed.

EDIT- They did just contract out lawn maintenance. Well over 10 people. Critcal mass! Now if we can only secure a subsidy we'd be rolling.
    Last edited by Shollin; May-09-13 at 03:49 PM.

Only on DetroitYes can a positive thread turn into a negative thread EVERY TIME.

I hope this is a continuing trend that eventually has people no longer talking about Twitter's presence in the city. It irks me when people talk about a two-person sales office ushering in a tech boom when it's guys like Stik and TubeMogul that are doing the real work and putting their chips on the table.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    Only on DetroitYes can a positive thread turn into a negative thread EVERY TIME.
    Only on DetroitYes can a city going bankrupt and the additions of 7-11's and Buffalo Wild Wings would be considered big positive news.

Only on DetroitYes can a city going bankrupt and the additions of 7-11's and Buffalo Wild Wings would be considered big positive news.
    The original poster stated that this firm setting up shop was "good news." I agree. For some reason, you seem to think that any posting about "good news" is the same as claiming it is "big news", which is not the case. But it gives you a reason to state that the news is insignificant. Do you intentionally misrepresent peoples' comments or is it just your negative nature that causes you to see the glass as always half empty?

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    The original poster stated that this firm setting up shop was "good news." I agree. For some reason, you seem to think that any posting about "good news" is the same as claiming it is "big news", which is not the case. But it gives you a reason to state that the news is insignificant. Do you intentionally misrepresent peoples' comments or is it just your negative nature that causes you to see the glass as always half empty?
    The post you are quoting me on is replying to a different topic. Do you intentionally not read the context of the post? I'm sorry if reality is looking at something half empty. This song has been played over and over in Detroit. At a rate of 10 jobs, maybe my great grandchildren will see the finished product. Also, I never said it was bad.

I moved to a development that takes care of lawn care so their services were no longer needed.

EDIT- They did just contract out lawn maintenance. Well over 10 people. Critcal mass! Now if we can only secure a subsidy we'd be trolling.
    Fixed that for you.

Shollin Guest

Ah yes if you don't have a pie in the sky view of Detroit and blame everything on racism and suburbs you are a troll.

Shollin Guest

So is this the major tech company coming to Detroit? http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ing-to-Detroit

So is this the major tech company coming to Detroit? http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ing-to-Detroit
    I certainly hope not.

If it isn't: sweet, can't wait to hear what's next.
    If it is: womp womp.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast