Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Indian Village Home & Garden Tour -June 8th

Advanced tickets on sale and pictures of the 2013 tour homes:

http://www.historicindianvillage.org...ardentour.html

Built by Modern Construction Company. First owner was Dr. Charles G. Anderson. The original cost was $4,000.

3524 Burns built in 1918 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by p69rrh51; May-08-13 at 07:29 PM.

Designed by Chicagoan William Mann for McPherson Browning. Original cost $16,000.

2940 Iroquios built in 1916 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; May-08-13 at 07:27 PM.

Designed by Smith, Hinchman & Grylls for G. Ogden Ellis. Original Cost $35,000.

2535 Iroquois built in 1915 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; May-08-13 at 07:29 PM.

A design by J. H. Gustav Steffens for Judge Adolph Marschner. The original cost was $19,700.

2474 Iroquois built in 1927 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; May-08-13 at 07:55 PM.

Designed by Harry S. Angell for George W. Seiberling. The original cost was $9,000.

2253 Iroquois built in 1915 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; May-08-13 at 07:56 PM.

An Albert Kahn design for Francis Charles McMath. The original cost was $7,500.

1037 Iroquios built in 1902 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; May-08-13 at 07:57 PM.

Built by William Starrs. The first owner was Dr. Frank Joseph Sladen. The original cost was $8,000.

2207 Seminole built in 1917 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI.

A C. Howard Crane design for H. Cleland Allison. The original cost was $7,000.

2163 Seminole built in 1912 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI.

All great homes, although 2474 Iroquois is my personal favorite. I'm glad to see that 3524 Burns is on the tour - since its on the far fringe of the neighborhood. How is that block holding up? I really enjoyed taking the IV tour back when I lived on Parker.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    All great homes, although 2474 Iroquois is my personal favorite. I'm glad to see that 3524 Burns is on the tour - since its on the far fringe of the neighborhood. How is that block holding up? I really enjoyed taking the IV tour back when I lived on Parker.
    I lived on Parker too, many years ago; in that giant house on the northwest corner of Lafayette, with the two giant white columns in front. It was a four or six family building. Each unit over 1500 sq.feet. each, as I recall. Huge. West Village was a nice place to live, even better now.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    I lived on Parker too, many years ago; in that giant house on the northwest corner of Lafayette, with the two giant white columns in front. It was a four or six family building. Each unit over 1500 sq.feet. each, as I recall. Huge. West Village was a nice place to live, even better now.
    A design by Samuel C. Falkinburg.

Colonial Apartments 1005 Parker Street built in 1901 West Village Historic District Detroit, MI.

I lived at the opposite end of the block - the house next door to the Parkhurst, in the third floor flat. Really enjoyed that area.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I lived at the opposite end of the block - the house next door to the Parkhurst, in the third floor flat. Really enjoyed that area.
    If you lived at 1099 I was in the apartment a couple weeks ago. The couple living there are customers. Except for the 3 floor walk up its a terrific unit.

Yes, it was 1099. As I recall the first and second floor units had identical floor plans and were much nicer than the modest third floor. But the third floor was a decent 2 bedroom with a nice living and full dining room. The entire house was entirely original when I lived there in the early '80's, but in good condition.

I am happily surprised to see 2535 Iroquois on the tour. It's a really spectacular house that I remember being in when I was a kid. But I believe it was sold cheap as a foreclosure just last year and was in pretty rough shape.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    A design by Samuel C. Falkinburg.

Colonial Apartments 1005 Parker Street built in 1901 West Village Historic District Detroit, MI.
    Oh my goodness!! Yes, that's it. It's actually called the Colonial. It was huge: a parlor or anteroom, living room, 2 bedrooms, full dining room, pantry, kitchen, then another small bedroom.

Its had a lot of owners though, I think.

Thanks for the memories!

Built by William Starrs. The first owner was Dr. Frank Joseph Sladen. The original cost was $8,000.

2207 Seminole built in 1917 Indian Village Historic District Detroit, MI.

Dr. Sladen was one of the founding physicians at Henry Ford Hospital back in 1915 and served as physician-in-chief for many years. He was also old Henry Ford's personal physician.

Nice. That's a great corner in Detroit. A friend looked at an apartment in the Colonial a year or so ago. I pushed for him to take it for selfish visitation rights but sadly another location won out.

Oh my goodness!! Yes, that's it. It's actually called the Colonial. It was huge: a parlor or anteroom, living room, 2 bedrooms, full dining room, pantry, kitchen, then another small bedroom.

Its had a lot of owners though, I think.

Thanks for the memories!

The Colonial Apartments are of the long hall variety that was in fashion for high-end apartments at that time. There are 2 adjoining parlors in the front of the apartment, one with a fireplace. From the parlor is a long hall off of which are the three bedrooms and the bathroom. At the end of the long hall is a large dining room with a bay window. Through the dining room is the kitchen followed by a small maid's room and bath. Also off the kitchen is the back porch and service stairs. All the apartments are pretty much the same with the exception of the unit on the south side of the third floor. That apartment [[perhaps designed for the owner) has elaborate cornice plaster moldings in the parlors and the dining room. There also is an additional apartment in the basement for the caretaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Neilr View Post
    The Colonial Apartments are of the long hall variety that was in fashion for high-end apartments at that time. There are 2 adjoining parlors in the front of the apartment, one with a fireplace. From the parlor is a long hall off of which are the three bedrooms and the bathroom. At the end of the long hall is a large dining room with a bay window. Through the dining room is the kitchen followed by a small maid's room and bath. Also off the kitchen is the back porch and service stairs. All the apartments are pretty much the same with the exception of the unit on the south side of the third floor. That apartment [[perhaps designed for the owner) has elaborate cornice plaster moldings in the parlors and the dining room. There also is an additional apartment in the basement for the caretaker.
    Neilr another apartment building similar to the Colonial, and one of my favorites.

West Grand Boulevard Apartments 347 West Grand Boulevard built in 1905 Hubbard Farms Historic District Detroit, MI.

Yes, p69rrh51, that's a fine one - one of my favorites also. And it's in relatively good shape. Those porches are really elegant. It's not called "Grand Blvd." for nothing!

Here's another of my favorite long-hall apartment buildings in Detroit. Alas, it's not in so fine shape. It's on Mt. Vernon, just east of Woodward.
    Name:  Mt. Vernon Apt..jpg
Views: 1898
Size:  48.2 KB

Neilr another apartment building similar to the Colonial, and one of my favorites.

West Grand Boulevard Apartments 347 West Grand Boulevard built in 1905 Hubbard Farms Historic District Detroit, MI.
    Wow, that is like the Colonial. I remember it, too. The blocks in this neighborhood on the Boulevard have some really nice, old homes.

I can tell when folks don't know the city; they'll refer to the street as West Grand, or East Grand, whereas we call it East Grand Boulevard, West Grand Boulevard or just The Boulevard.

When I was a kid, in the backseat of my father's car, once we passed the Packard Plant [[which was closed even then, around 1960) we'd drive by the beautiful houses of The Boulevard. All those homes that are now run-down and or have been turned into halfway houses were spectacular then, like Boston Edison.

Then we'd get close to Jefferson and beg him to take us through "the tunnel". I think now that maybe the "tunnel" was just an underpass beneath Jefferson, not a real tunnel to the way to the island. But what a rush when we were kids! LOL!

There is a law firm that has renovated one of the houses on East Grand Blvd., I think it's near Vernor. I've been to events there and it is beautiful inside; hopefully a portent of what is to come if there is more investment in those homes.

Wow, that is like the Colonial. I remember it, too. The blocks in this neighborhood on the Boulevard have some really nice, old homes.

I can tell when folks don't know the city; they'll refer to the street as West Grand, or East Grand, whereas we call it East Grand Boulevard, West Grand Boulevard or just The Boulevard.

When I was a kid, in the backseat of my father's car, once we passed the Packard Plant [[which was closed even then, around 1960) we'd drive by the beautiful houses of The Boulevard. All those homes that are now run-down and or have been turned into halfway houses were spectacular then, like Boston Edison.

Then we'd get close to Jefferson and beg him to take us through "the tunnel". I think now that maybe the "tunnel" was just an underpass beneath Jefferson, not a real tunnel to the way to the island. But what a rush when we were kids! LOL!

There is a law firm that has renovated one of the houses on East Grand Blvd., I think it's near Vernor. I've been to events there and it is beautiful inside; hopefully a portent of what is to come if there is more investment in those homes.
    I bet Dad tooted the horn under Cobo Hall too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fWtVXkZ7gU

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I bet Dad tooted the horn under Cobo Hall too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fWtVXkZ7gU
    OMG!!! That was so exciting!!! LOLOL!!

[[well, I guess you had to be there).

Amazing! That's is so funny, it wasn't a tunnel, it was just an overpass - and we used to just scream when we went under!

Omgoodness! Thanks! That was a good one!!!

Now, Cobo - I don't remember being under Cobo as a kid; living in Highland Park, we wouldn't take the Lodge to downtown - just Woodward, or JohnR.

But that Belle Isle excitement was enough! LOL!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast