Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Drew and Mike show.....Bye Bye

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

If you ask me, it's about 3 years late. When Drew took a leave of absence to care for his sick girlfriend, Mike tried to handle the show by himself and confirmed what we already knew. That he was not worthy of such a position. When Drew returned, admittingly for the money, the show was never the same. Their support for the Bush regime and deference to the current administration turned me off for good.
    They had some good years in the late 90's and early 2000's, then they became tired and non-entertaining. You have to wonder how long grown men can go on and on about juvenile pranks and fart jokes. Now we know.
    I only hope WRIF does not hire the Chuck the Freak show to replace them. I simply cannot stand that ridiculous laugh that one of them has.
    Please give someone new a try. There are thousands of qualified deejays just waiting for this type of break. Do something bold and I'll respect your station. Don't, and I'll probably never listen to your morning show again.

Shollin Guest

I don't even listen to local radio anymore. The only thing I ever listen to on AM of FM is WWJ 950 just to get a traffic update.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I don't even listen to local radio anymore. The only thing I ever listen to on AM of FM is WWJ 950 just to get a traffic update.
    I hear you. Its either this or WJR when I get tired of the same format in the morning. I have listened to Drew and Mike's replacements, they seem to rely too much on jokes about men's genitalia. It is childish and quite frankly not all that funny.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I hear you. Its either this or WJR when I get tired of the same format in the morning. I have listened to Drew and Mike's replacements, they seem to rely too much on jokes about men's genitalia. It is childish and quite frankly not all that funny.
    I used to listen to Jim Johnson and the Morning Crew on WCSX back in the 90's. I enjoyed their parodies and even had a CD of them. Don't remember what happened to them but I think Dick the Bruiser retired

Although I like Dave and Chuck the Freak I completely agree I often find it to be fairly low-brow and complete toilet humor. This is coming from a guy in his 20's no less. When they try to talk about more serious issues I find it often to be fairly idiotic especially some of the comments and I end up changing the station to NPR or CBC. It is nice to see them back though as they are really the only morning show I listened to.

J.J. is on CSX and is also the old curmudgeon on Fox2's let it rip!

Because "Butt Mike", fart drops at people during confused prank calls, Ray and Pete drops from 20 years ago, and BIIIIIIITCH requests were the height of tasteful, adult comedy?

I don't think Dave and chuck will be bringing anything highbrow, but at least they won't be phoning it in. poster above said 3 years past their prime, I'd go 10.
    Last edited by bailey; May-08-13 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jefferson78 View Post
    I only hope WRIF does not hire the Chuck the Freak show to replace them. I simply cannot stand that ridiculous laugh that one of them has.
    Please give someone new a try. There are thousands of qualified deejays just waiting for this type of break. Do something bold and I'll respect your station. Don't, and I'll probably never listen to your morning show again.
    That's not going to happen. The Free Press article hints alot stronger that it's going to be Dave and Chuck and we already know that they are staying in the area. Just add it all up...

http://www.freep.com/article/2013050...ve-chuck-freak

Dave and Chuck are gonna bring their very loyal audience with them which is going to be a moral booster for WRIF.

I used to listen to Jim Johnson and the Morning Crew on WCSX back in the 90's. I enjoyed their parodies and even had a CD of them. Don't remember what happened to them but I think Dick the Bruiser retired
    JJ and The Morning Crew were the funny pre-cursers to Drew and Mike. The difference, in my opinion, was Dick the Bruiser, aka George Baier, who retied early and moved Up North. Something a lot of us wished we could do.
    He was incredibly talented and quick-witted. Something D&M would not know about.

Radio has gone from live entertianment to junk entertainment in the last 100 years. Evertime I turn the electronic dial is clear channel music this and that with some meaningless talk. so I turn the radio off and haven't turn it on since 1999.

I am going to miss Drew & Mike. I've been listening to them for almost 20 years now.

While I agree the show has changed, I enjoyed the fact that generally gave a good mix of content. Yes there were segments and topics that were dumb [[isn't that true of every station) but I liked the fact that is a good mix of News, Sports, Entertainment, Crudeness, and Detroit area information.

Unfortunetely a lot of changes to the show were ultimately due to the FCC requirements and the nature of the industry - big corporate radio, and decline of local radio in general.

Drew & Mike were losing the holy grail of 18-34 listeners that advertisers crave. Plus the talent and support staff had a high payroll. Granted I'm 32 and I love these guys. I think its a think of familiarity, as I've been listening to them every morning for years.

I hope at least Drew turns up somewhere else in town. The younger guys Mike & Mark I thought were decent too and added a different element to the show.

I'm sure everyone will be quick to bash Drew & Mike here, but they did last for over 20 years in a cut-throat business and basically became the face of WRIF.
    THANK YOU...DETROIT!

Dumb question but why cant they play some music in the morning ? It is a rock and roll station
    As far as Drew and mike are concerned I was burned out on these guys over 10 years ago and stop listening a long time ago

Who listens to this stuff? I have never understood the attraction of these crude Howard Stern-like morning "humor" shows [[or the frothing right wing loony stuff, often on the same shows). The last thing I want to hear in the morning is a couple of loudmouths blabbing at me and laboring to be humorous [[usually in a way that might have appealed to me when I was, say, 12), or stridently stating their half-informed opinions about politics as if just being on the radio somehow makes them insightful.

I agree with the poster above. Please just play me some nice music in the morning. I get more than enough of people's blather during the rest of my day.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; May-08-13 at 03:55 PM.

I mainly listen for Trudi, most of the time I just listen to her podcasts. I hope she still has a spot in the morning.

I want Bob and Tom! I make frequent trips into Ohio, and to be honest the fact that Ohio gets to listen to Bob & Tom is the only thing those "Ohians" have going for them . I grew up listening to Drew and Mike, but was never a huge fan. Over the years they have become progressively less entertaining and honestly I won't miss hearing them. I've never heard "Dave and Chuck" or whatever they're called, but to be honest my interest in morning talk radios is wearing pretty thin.

You have to be kidding me about Bob and Tom. Its these two old guys that have fake laughter. They are on in Lansing and Flint. Basically they are syndicated to all the small markets...

Back on point. I know they were getting stale but I enjoyed listening to them since I have been a listener since 1996 or so. I still listened to them every morning on the way to work. Dave and Chuck are horrible IMO. The show is basically for high school kids. I mean when you call someone and yell penis... give me a break. I'm sure Drew and Mike will turn up somewhere.

I listen exclusively to CBC Canada Radio 2. 89.9 FM. No commercials, great programming. Eclectic musical selections throughout the day. Have to love government supported radio and only a river away.

I liked WRIF's morning drivetime show best when Ken Calvert was at the helm!

You don't want Bob & Tom. I was a program director for a rock station in South Bend in the late 90's. Back then, B&T were hilarious. Once their syndication empire began to grow, they got stale. Let's make jokes about current news stories and then, when a second rate comedian is touring through Indianapolis [[their headquarters), we'll stick them on the air and laugh at anything and everything they say. B&T haven't been funny for at least 10 years.

There are many markets around the country who are finding that people are tired of the "attempt to be funny" morning shows and are reverting back to the oldest adage in radio: shut up and play the music. Give me news headlines, the Tigers score, some traffic, and then get back to the music. Unfortunately it looks like 'RIF has made up their minds. Radio is so yesterday.

Hope Drew returns on another dial, see-ya azzwipe Mike.....

J.J. is on CSX and is also the old curmudgeon on Fox2's let it rip!
    JJ [[and Lynn Woodison) was booted from WCSX in 2008. He is on WOMC. Has been for a couple years.

The only thing I ever listen to on AM of FM is WWJ 950 just to get a traffic update.
    Which sucks too, alot of times, especially during the rush, not as comprehensive as other cities' reports. But I digress...

Trudy Daniels was always the hook for me, despite being being interrupted far to often by the boys during her newscasts. But my fingers are always pushing radio buttons in the morning from 950 to CBC Radio 2 to NPR to Shep in the Morning. Good luck Trudy!

I find it hilarious when they spend so many minutes out of the morning talking about certain tv shows like Dancing W Stars or that show about stars diving into a pool. Its so obvious they are paid to talk about shows they would never normally watch. I can just imagine them studying cideo Cliff notes of the shows the night after they played trying to keep informed of what they are supposed to talk about.

Trudi does rock. Love Drew still, Mike has his moments but looking back, I did really stop listening when they started backing Bush II and his wars. I do love that Mikes a pilot though.

The new guys who back them up on the show are pretty good, Id rather see them take over rather than some outsider. I think the guy who worked with Mike while Drew was absent is great. I think he has potential.

I'll miss the prank calls lol
    Last edited by Wingnatic; May-10-13 at 05:29 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast