Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Men's clothing store-Fisher Bldg. 1950's-1960's?

Does anyone have information about a men's clothier located in the Fisher Building in the 50s-60s? A family friend owned or was partners in a clothing shop, I assume in the arcade. Could've been 1970s also. Thanks

I remember Washington Clothiers was in the GM Building, and also had a store where One Detroit now stands. This however was in the 1970's-80's.

Whaling Men's Store had a location in the Fisher Building. Also, I believe they were on Woodward & E. Congress in the Metropole Hotel block.

The Heavenrich family started the business. Back in the 1960's, John Heavenrich Jr. lived in Sherwood Forest.
    Last edited by IrishSpartan; May-08-13 at 04:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I remember Washington Clothiers was in the GM Building, and also had a store where One Detroit now stands. This however was in the 1970's-80's.
    Washington Clothiers in the GM/Cadillac Place building closed about maybe 5 years ago. Bought many a suit there.

Thank you for the replies! The retailer I'm looking for was independently owned [[I think). The names James Gagne and/or Bernard Brown should be associated with it [as owners]. They also owned a tool and die shop in Dearborn or west Detroit back then; they were a major supplier for Ford Motor Company. I'm trying to find information about all this.....the clothing store, the tool and die shop, etc. Any directory references, photos, etc would be awesome!

Remember Scholnicks? On Washington Boulevard, back in the day. Legendary, for very sharp men.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    Remember Scholnicks? On Washington Boulevard, back in the day. Legendary, for very sharp men.
    I remember Scholnick's well. When I got my first "real" job after college, I had to upgrade my wardrobe for work. One of my co-workers was a regular at Scholnick's and he recommended that I check out their selection of suits. They carried a great line of clothes and Mr. Scholnick used to personally greet the customers and see to their needs. He was a class act all the way.