Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 10 Things To Like About Detroit Now!!!

A very uplifting article!

Henry sells fishing hats? I have zero fashion sense so I always thought that place wouldn't cater to me. but now I have a reason to darken that doorway on my next trip to the Detroit Beer Company.

I'm sure others will chime in with things that could have been added to the list. Mine would be the Greening of Detroit since the article mentioned,

"Then one day, you notice that the rubble is being carted away, and there are actually some green shoots popping up from the newly cleared ground."

As a chef who has worked with Greening, I know they are doing some good things.

Default Inner Detroit and outer Detroit

Quote Originally Posted by PaulieG63 View Post
    Just like there's an outer drive, maybe the two Detroits should be called inner Detroit and outer Detroit. Inner being midtown and the donut hole.

There is an inner and outer city. As an outy, I'd like so say the hoods have learned to do for ourselves.

I'd like to add that Detroiters are so friendly.We have a park bench on our berm and have charming dialogue with passer bys. Sumas

Re: Mexicantown "Once, it was only a few streets, with tourist-focused Mexican restaurants."

I'm not sure how true this is? Hasn't much of the Vernor corridor been heavily Mexican for at least the past 30 years or so?

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Once, it was only a few streets, with tourist-focused Mexican restaurants."

I'm not sure how true this is? Hasn't much of the Vernor corridor been heavily Mexican for at least the past 30 years or so?
    Definitely. As a high school student, a friend of mine invited me to a party at a friend of his on W Grand Blvd near Vernor. At one point in the evening, we went for a walk down Vernor, which was bustling with activity. I was a northwest Detroiter, and as the Jeffries and white flight was tearing up our neighborhood, it was eyeopening for me to see a thriving commercial street in a Detroit 'hood. My friend's friend was Mexican and I loved how the Latin culture had contributed so much to his neighborhood. It was the first time I realized that everything in Detroit wasn't just black and white.
    Last edited by downtownguy; May-07-13 at 12:59 PM.

Our Latino community is alive and well.