Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Grammar: Is it important? Where did it go?

Just watched as a teacher/administrator at Atlanta Public Schools made three grammatical errors in less than twenty seconds on a TV news channel!
    Last edited by Bobl; May-05-13 at 12:26 PM. Reason: sp

^^^ I see grammatical and writing errors all the time, where you'd not think you would. I commit many as my typing has never been too great........

Some of the young "texing-for-everything" generation are really doing poorly. I've seen correspondences and writing supposedly at the college lever using "u" or "BTW" instead of spelling out words. No paragraphs, commas, proper pronouns not capitalized etc; the basic aspects of grammar and basic writing.

I'm not talking the deep weeds of antecedent verbs and what not the grammarians talk about. News broadcasters and anchors are making alot of grammar flubs as well.
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-05-13 at 12:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    ^^^ I see grammatical and writing errors all the time, where you'd not think you would. I commit many as my typing has never been too great........
    My grammar passed away a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    Just watched as a teacher/administrator at Atlamta Public Schools made three grammatical errors in less than twenty seconds on a TV news channel!
    Is that how they spelled Atlanta in the article?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    My grammar passed away a long time ago.
    Hony Tonk: My high school Latin Grammar text book, purchased used, had the title changed by the previous owner to read "Beating Gramma".
    My instructor purchased a new one for me.

Quote Originally Posted by MidTownMs View Post
    No. Sometimes I do not put my brain in gear, before entering data. I am just a blue collar guy, with little education. Thanks, I will edit.
    Last edited by Bobl; May-05-13 at 12:35 PM.

Or maybe a texting/ hash-tag version: #Latest: ATL!

Atlamta is a totally different place then Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Atlamta is a totally different place then Atlanta.
    Don't you mean a totally different place than Atlanta?
    Last edited by MidTownMs; May-05-13 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Or maybe a texting/ hash-tag version: #Latest: ATL!
    "K"..........

I know that we ALL make errors posting on forums... but I always go back and proofread my posts [[Bobl... this isn't towards you)... but I am surprised at how many forumers will post something... and then just leave it incorrect. Even the best typist among us makes errors....

Funniest error I remember as a kid was when the kid next door made a cassette tape of the Grammy Awards... but he labeded the cassette "Gammy Rewards"... he must have had an Emily Latella moment!

Don't you mean a totally different place than Atlanta?
    I'll go ask my grammar.

OK: Let us all resolve to pause a few seconds and read our posts before entering. When that fails, we can edit later.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I know that we ALL make errors posting on forums... but I always go back and proofread my posts [[Bobl... this isn't towards you)... but I am surprised at how many forumers will post something... and then just leave it incorrect. Even the best typist among us makes errors....

Funniest error I remember as a kid was when the kid next door made a cassette tape of the Grammy Awards... but he labeded the cassette "Gammy Rewards"... he must have had an Emily Latella moment!
    Yeah, Bobl, no offense, man. It feels good to get silly for a change. I've looked back on some of my "rant" posts and cringe @ my grammar and type-o's.

I have noticed that many of the news correspondents can't speak English correctly. They pronounce their words differently or say things that don't make sense. They talk like they are texting. Also, when watching TV news or a ticker tape flashing across the screen, many words are misspelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    No. Sometimes I do not put my brain in gear, before entering data. I am just a blue collar guy, with little education. Thanks, I will edit.
    Meh, I would have just chalked it up as a typo and moved along, but whatever works for you!

I always found the san serif fonts an amusing way to make people confused. Take the late Kim Jong Il of North Korea... in San Serif fonts his last name comes across as "ll" instead of "IL"... in lower case...

So... many TV Newscasters made the same mistake when he died last year... they read their teleprompters and spoke... "Kim Jong the 2nd"...

Lots of people need help in this area:

http://www.apostrophethief.co.uk/abuse-misuse.php