Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Selling College Books

My son just finished his first year and I'm wondering if anyone can recommed a reputiable website to sell his books. Some of his books he had to purchase from the school bookstore because they were for that particular school only. Just kills me that he went to sell them back and now they will be using new books for the upcoming school year...they don't want them! He has a few that were barely or never used and as far as we can tell, Amazon seems to only want to credit his account and he is going the rental route next year.

It's been a long time since I had to sell any textbooks, but I used to use Ebay and Amazon. With Amazon you were able to transfer the proceeds to a registered checking account, but I think I remember there being a $100 minimum before they would do so.

The used market for books varies. A few times I was surprised about how much I received back, but most of the time it was far less than I paid. If the book is being replaced by an updated version, odds are good that it may not have much residual value.

Try http://www.chegg.com/

You can enter the name of the book and see what it's worth. My son has rented books from them in the past also.

ok, thanks. a little better pricing on the chegg website than amazon.

So it seems another racket within the generalized extortion they call higher education has entrenched itself in the thirty years since I stopped paying attention.

At UofM-Dearborn in the early 80s, this was our first organized student action...creating a used book exchange to get around the usury rates of this publishing scourge...abuse of a trapped marketplace. The administration didn't like it, but we didn't care.

One fellow I met during my time on the retail hifi scene was reportedly the author of the best-selling textbook of its time, Understanding Human Behavior. He only taught one class in A2, the introduction to psychology...and was well-known for his end-of-year parties. And for being one of the Unibomber's targets.

So at least HIS students got some return on their...investment...