Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Gabriel Ruiz, man behind the Ponch, plans twin tower

http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/t...pofpontch.aspx according to this article, Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown developer Gabriel Ruiz plans on building the Ponch's twin tower in the next three years. I'm looking forward to it!

Default Call me a skeptic

Quote Originally Posted by jw101 View Post
    http://www.modeldmedia.com/devnews/t...pofpontch.aspx according to this article, Crowne Plaza Detroit Downtown developer Gabriel Ruiz plans on building the Ponch's twin tower in the next three years. I'm looking forward to it!
    Call me a skeptic, but I don't think the local economy is strong enough to support a new tower. What's the vacancy rate for hotel rooms in Detroit? Over here in Windsor there are plans to turn downtown hotels into nursing homes and student residences because there is no demand for hotel rooms.

i recently read that the detroit metro hotel occupancy has risen from it's low at 40ish percent to above the national average of 60ish percent.

now would be the time, i suppose, even with the aloft coming to town.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see a second tower get built. Virtually every hotel room in downtown Detroit is booked for Memorial Day weekend... which says as much about the lack of hotel space in Detroit as it does about the areas growing tourism industry.

And with the Convention and Tourism Bureau rolling out their marketing campaign this summer around the country, a new tower for a close hotel would only be a good thing for organizations looking for a convention place.

Iheartthed That could also be because there is a large music festival downtown that weekend, DEMF / Movement / Technofest.

Quote Originally Posted by DTFellow View Post
    Iheartthed That could also be because there is a large music festival downtown that weekend, DEMF / Movement / Technofest.
    Yes, I know. I'll be in attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by jw101 View Post
    Actually the article states "those plans are at least 3 years out." Translation: If we get the occupancy that hasn't happened the last couple of times other owners tried to make a go of it, hell we'll build another tower!

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Yes, I know. I'll be in attendance.
    Good to hear. If you get in town Friday, make sure to check the Bangtech party at Bookie's. Always a good time. A great mix of music folk, locals out of towners, and the music is always on point. Always a good vibe and a goot starting off point for the weekend.