Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Palmer Park rehabbed apartments...

Does anyone have knowledge of these renovated properties?
    I am looking for a second home to spend the summers. Have safety issues been addressed? And are the buildings older white boy friendly? Used to be a great neighborhood in the 70's.

NO! Palmer Park has been change in the last 100 years went from a French, Scottish, Greek, Polish German, Finnish mixed community to a fast growing Orthodox and Hasidic Jewish community to a quick black community. Then crackheads, prostitutes, homosexuals and squatters came and made a ruckus of that area. Today private companies are rehabing some of the apartments and made it non-subsidized to control property values. Those who work and have excellent credit points will be able to live those rehabed apts.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    NO! Palmer Park has been change in the last 100 years went from a French, Scottish, Greek, Polish German, Finnish mixed community to a fast growing Orthodox and Hasidic Jewish community to a quick black community. Then crackheads, prostitutes, homosexuals and squatters came and made a ruckus of that area. Today private companies are rehabing some of the apartments and made it non-subsidized to control property values. Those who work and have excellent credit points will be able to live those rehabed apts.
    The "homosexuals" made a ruckus of that area? Sorry Danny, if the gays had not found it necessary to flee the area, the current rehabbing would not be necessary. All of that would have been done decades ago and Palmer Park would have remained a thriving gem of a neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    The "homosexuals" made a ruckus of that area? Sorry Danny, if the gays had not found it necessary to flee the area, the current rehabbing would not be necessary. All of that would have been done decades ago and Palmer Park would have remained a thriving gem of a neighborhood.
    When you get folks like those moving into your neighborhood other straight and clean middle class folks move out driving down property values creating mayhem. I grew up near Palmer Park, My cousins used to live there. We saw all the mess coming into the area And my family quickly move away over 20 years ago. Til that day I haven't returned. I wouldn't put to two shoes in that area until the ruckus and yahoos are out.

When you get folks like those moving into your neighborhood other straight and clean middle class folks move out driving down property values creating mayhem. I grew up near Palmer Park, My cousins used to live there. We saw all the mess coming into the area And my family quickly move away over 20 years ago. Til that day I haven't returned. I wouldn't put to two shoes in that area until the ruckus and yahoos are out.
    If you think gay residents drive DOWN property values you are sorely mistaken. Sometimes ignorant bigots might move out, but that is an improvement. Hmmm.... your family moved out....
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; May-04-13 at 02:44 PM.

Anyone have any insight on the original poster's questions? I never lived in that area, but it was a great place for a long time and could be again. I am very happy to hear about rehabilitation efforts. The neighborhood certainly has a building stock unlike any other in the City of Detroit. But everyone I knew who once lived in that area have been gone from there for so long that I no longer have any knowledge of current conditions in the neighborhood [[and some of them were, yes Danny, scary homosexuals, who have since gone on to be terrifying middle-class homeowners in the ghettos of Indian Village, Royal Oak, suburban Boston, Adams Morgan in DC, and other gay-ruined places in the U.S.).
    Last edited by EastsideAl; May-04-13 at 04:35 PM.

As I recall from the earlier threads, Shelborne Development itself is rehabbing something like nine buildings. Quite an ambitious undertaking. I certainly hope this area can rebound and become a welcoming, diverse community. I'd also be curious about the original poster's question.

Danny was a bit misinformed most of the rehabs are subsidized. The only way the developer could get financing. For me there are 3 buildings I would consider. 1001 Covington has 16 units and the apartments only share one common wall. The building is in very good condition. And of course its an Albert Kahn design.

Walbri Court Apartments 1001 Covington built in 1925 Palmer Park Aprtment Building Historic District Detroit, MI.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by p69rrh51; May-04-13 at 05:22 PM.

The Paul Tilds designed Covington Arms 333 Covington built in 1952 Palmer Park Apartment Historic District. Another building with the apartments sharing a couple common walls.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; May-04-13 at 05:28 PM.

Last the Paul Tilds designed Manor House 660 Whitmore built in 1949 Palmer Park Apartment Historic Distrcit Detroit, MI. The building has underground parking for the residents.

All three buildings have never been abandoned and are in very good shape.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; May-04-13 at 10:05 PM.

Fro what it is worth:

Crime Mapping Detroit

http://www.crimemapping.com/map.aspx...7-17f60e517d9d

You're fuckin kidding right?

Homophobia is so widespread and irrational in Detroit that some people would rather live in squalor than next to gay people. I live on the lower east side in a predominately low-income high rise and I heard people in the lobby talking about how they would never go back to the apartments in Palmer Woods because of the "gays."

When I lived in Saginaw, a group of gay guys bought up historic homes and cleaned up the area.

That building layout looks fantastic. The units must be huge? Like the row of windows spanning across that wide must make for some kind of view and lighting. I'd like to tour some of these wonderful structures...

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Last the Paul Tilds designed Manor House 660 Whitmore built in 1949 Palmer Park Apartment Historic Distrcit Detroit, MI. The building has underground parking for the residents.

"Straight flight"?

Needs a developer with deep pockets and some vision. Its a neat area with architectural character & should be a priority for redevelopment. Could use a big fence encircling it and private security. All the empty buildings need to be sealed up and made to look acceptable from the outside until they are restored. People with no business should be denied access. Make it nice and safe, make safety a selling point and I bet people of means, students and professionals would return. Little parks and gardens, good lighting. A pavilion for cookouts, block parties and picnics. A little cafe/coffee shop, maybe a market with fresh vegetables and a deli. Could be a high population density area
    Last edited by rex; May-05-13 at 01:13 PM.

http://modeldmedia.com/devnews/lavog...oit051512.aspx It was a year ago that Model D highlighted the La Vogue. The article mentions a mix of affordable and market-rate. I'd be curious about the ratio.

m b v Guest

Is this thread a joke? Out of curiosity I purposely drove through this very area last night on way to parents home in Birmingham. Between 2-3 a.m. I saw prostitution, hand to hand, many sketchy “characters” walking the area, and numerous abandoned apartment buildings right next to these “prime” pieces of real estate. Don’t forget the Déjà Vu on the corner that had roughly 8 Wayne/Detroit [[?) police cruisers blocking a street off for whatever reason. Did I mention most of the street lights were off? This area is at least 10 years away from being a viable living option for anyone that values their life – and that’s only if Midtown prospers at a rapid rate, which is far from guaranteed*.

*Palmer Park is almost 4 miles away from Midtown, i.e. that's a lot of expansion needed before you convince college educated young people to live in these apts
    Last edited by m b v; May-05-13 at 04:38 PM.

No, this thread is not a joke. I have not been through the area in years, but hope to take a gander at it this year if I'm in the area. There may still be major problems in the area, but at a minimum 9 or so major buildings currently undergoing or soon to undergo high quality renovations might at least mean that the area has bottomed out and is on the rebound. That does not mean that the area is already safe and stable.

Quote Originally Posted by m b v View Post
    Is this thread a joke? Out of curiosity I purposely drove through this very area last night on way to parents home in Birmingham. Between 2-3 a.m. I saw prostitution, hand to hand, many sketchy “characters” walking the area, and numerous abandoned apartment buildings right next to these “prime” pieces of real estate. Don’t forget the Déjà Vu on the corner that had roughly 8 Wayne/Detroit [[?) police cruisers blocking a street off for whatever reason. Did I mention most of the street lights were off? This area is at least 10 years away from being a viable living option for anyone that values their life – and that’s only if Midtown prospers at a rapid rate, which is far from guaranteed*.

*Palmer Park is almost 4 miles away from Midtown, i.e. that's a lot of expansion needed before you convince college educated young people to live in these apts

Funny you mentioned joke... it begs the question... what were you doing in this area at 7 Mile & Woodward at 2AM??

And also... isn't it a bit difficult to spot development in the middle of the night with the streetlights out??

And how did you get presumptuous enough to assume that the only development that Detroit can get is if it eminates from Downtown/Midtown??

You do know that Palmer Woods/Sherwood Forest are adjacent to this area... and both of those prosperous areas are still well tended to and lived in? Certainly redeveloping this area doesn't require Midtown??

And the idea that any developments of Midtown would have to go thru New Center, New Center Commons/Piety Hill, Boston Edison... AND Highland Park before it ever would spread northwards to these apartments... where did you get that idea from? Certainly not from this forum??
    Last edited by Gistok; May-06-13 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    No, this thread is not a joke. I have not been through the area in years, but hope to take a gander at it this year if I'm in the area. There may still be major problems in the area, but at a minimum 9 or so major buildings currently undergoing or soon to undergo high quality renovations might at least mean that the area has bottomed out and is on the rebound. That does not mean that the area is already safe and stable.
    Having spent time every couple months taking images of the buildings I have seen a dramatic change in the area. Also talking last fall with many residents of the area I was mildly surprised to find quite a few long time residents in most of the functioning buildings. Many of the undamaged buildings have few available apartments. All of residents I spoke with would not move from their homes. I wanted to post the realtor.com listing for The Covington Arms but it was already gone, and the listing was only a few weeks old. Yes the crime is there but then just a few blocks from my home in Grosse Pointe are similar "sketchy characters" m.b.v. is so paranoid about. When its all said and done PP is not perfect but its far better than it was even a year ago. Also a 30 second drive by will never give one an idea of what is really happening there. You need to get out and actually look at what is going on.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; May-05-13 at 05:07 PM.

I'm pretty sure mbv is the person who didn't want to go to the Somerset Collection because of the crime and sketchy characters. By that standard, I agree Palmer Park is not an acceptable location.

By the standards of a Detroit neighborhood, my impression is that it isn't particularly bad, but although I considered buying a condo at 1001 Covington, I didn't do it and I don't live there, so although I check it out periodically I don't have any real knowledge of what it feels like to live there. Riding through on a bike doesn't feel all that dangerous in the daytime. I don't much like riding in the dark in the city, or anyplace else really, so I haven't tried it.

I've been through that neighborhood on my bike quite a few times, but this was back in the mid-2000s, not recently. I felt pretty safe. On one occasion, the ice cream truck came by and I was surprised to see that they sold soft ice cream cones [[like the kind you get at the Dairy Queen) and not just the usual popsickles and snow cones and such. I bought myself a cone and stopped to eat it. There were a lot of people around, but nobody bothered me. However, this was in the daytime and this was before many of those apartment buildings became abandoned.

Danny seems to protest a bit too much, focusing on one area. You can leave, but you can't hide from your true self! [[waves arm, snapping fingers behind the shoulder.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast