Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default House Ok's Changes To Michigan Car Insurance

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-car-insurance

whether or not rates drop we'll see... they will still use zip codes...

btw... the best rate I found was with Farm Bureau... great guy over on Mack if anyone is looking.

#1 - "basic" insurance should be based ONLY on level of coverage and your driving record. nothing else is relevant.

#2 - full coverage should be based on the "totaled" payout for the car, level of coverage, and your driving record. I have a perfect driving record and pay MORE for a less expensive car than someone I know who has 6 points on their record - including an accident for which they were found responsible. Discounts for theft deterrents are acceptable.

They really need to get these rates down. My wife and I have 0 points. We pay $1850 a year for a 1997 Chevy S-10 with minimal coverage, and a 2012 Ford Edge. In Ohio, I got a quote just to see what it would cost me.... under $1000..... We need to fix this.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrytimes View Post
    They really need to get these rates down. My wife and I have 0 points. We pay $1850 a year for a 1997 Chevy S-10 with minimal coverage, and a 2012 Ford Edge. In Ohio, I got a quote just to see what it would cost me.... under $1000..... We need to fix this.
    It will never be addressed as long as the insurance industry has as much clout in the state legislature [[on both sides of the aisle). This will not result in lower rates anymore than the no-price-tag rule lowered prices on groceries

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    It will never be addressed as long as the insurance industry has as much clout in the state legislature [[on both sides of the aisle). This will not result in lower rates anymore than the no-price-tag rule lowered prices on groceries
    Agreed. Anytime a major organization lobbies heavily for something, you can bet your jewels it's not in the publics best interest.