Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I have a few suggestions that you can do with yourself too.

Whatever dude. Have fun with yourself. I will no longer reply to your childish posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    If Heidelberg is truly a significant art project why have I never heard of any place else copying of improving on the concept? In most cases people look at it as an oddity, but not something they would want in their own neighborhood.

Yeah right, you expect an artistic project to be duplicated ad nauseam like a fast food franchise to prove it is a success.

If you didnt have guys like Tyree, you would be swamped in a sea of repetitively manicured lawns and service stations galore with no let-up. There are other examples of people who forged their own idea of beauty in a similar way upontheir immediate environment. They are not all Gaudis or Gehrys but their importance in the vast landscape of repeated gestures provides respite and inspiration to many. Look at Simon Rodia's life's work in Los Angeles; It is now on the National Register of Historic Places and is a California State Park!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watts_Towers

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Yeah right, you expect an artistic project to be duplicated ad nauseam like a fast food franchise to prove it is a success.

If you didnt have guys like Tyree, you would be swamped in a sea of repetitively manicured lawns and service stations galore with no let-up. There are other examples of people who forged their own idea of beauty in a similar way upontheir immediate environment. They are not all Gaudis or Gehrys but their importance in the vast landscape of repeated gestures provides respite and inspiration to many. Look at Simon Rodia's life's work in Los Angeles; It is now on the National Register of Historic Places and is a California State Park!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watts_Towers
    THAT???? Why it looks like a bunch of old scrap metal and bicycle wheels someone spot welded together! Why doesn't he cover it with vinyl siding or paint it or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    THAT???? Why it looks like a bunch of old scrap metal and bicycle wheels someone spot welded together! Why doesn't he cover it with vinyl siding or paint it or something?
    How long could something like that exist in Detroit though before the scrappers would tear it down?

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    How long could something like that exist in Detroit though before the scrappers would tear it down?
    A fiver says one weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post

I''m sure a lot of folks thought the same thing about it being in Watts, if you get my meaning; wink wink, nod nod, lol, rolleyes, kerplunk and all that other stuff.

Thanks Canuck for the link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watts_Towers Ive always wondered about those towers and now I read the story and a good one too. Poor guy had to leave town because of the haters and now its a National Historic Landmark. Very relevant to this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Please tell me you didn't just confuse Marilyn Manson with Charles Manson.
    Is Marilyn Manson still releasing records? Who is buying those?

An Indie Go Go fundraiser for The Heidelberg Project to purchase equipment and supplies needed to rebuild after the fire...

Art from the Ashes: Reclaiming the Canvas

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ar...ing-the-canvas

Default Fire destroys another building at the Heidelberg Project

Sept. 23, 2019

"Detroit — Arson investigators are questioning a person of interest in connection with a Monday morning fire at a building that's part of the popular Heidelberg Project art installation.

"Deputy Fire Commissioner David Fornell said the individual was taken into custody and that the city's fire marshal is on the scene of the east side blaze that broke out just after 6:45 a.m. at the project's "You" building on Mt. Elliott, south of Mack."

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...ng/2416995001/

messed up. unfortunately it will probably happen again.

Saw it with my own two eyes. Sad to see pop up go up in smoke. Police found that firebug that burned the building down.

Maybe they should secretly construct a fireproof decoy house just to frustrate the firebugs?

Maybe Illitch should buy the whole area.

As I have stated here several times the fire bug is Guyton. Every time he needs money a building goes up in flames. After that the sympathy money just rolls in! I am biding my time until I can legally take of flamethrower to that piece of crap.

There is a bar/restaurant in Utica that is fantastic but it burns down every 25-30 years. It's a thing sometimes.

Point is, this would not surprise me. Guyton is a smart dude.

Quote Originally Posted by bartocktoo View Post
    There is a bar/restaurant in Utica that is fantastic but it burns down every 25-30 years. It's a thing sometimes....
    You must be referring to the Shamrock. They keep rebuilding though!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimaz View Post
    You must be referring to the Shamrock. They keep rebuilding though!
    Yes I was...and for my money tied for the best non-slider burgers with Redcoat in this area!

Guyton was a former DFD firefighter. Not at all saying he did this but, if he chose to, he would likely know the ropes. What argues strongly against his not doing so, from my artist viewpoint, is that he put a tremendous amount of effort into those houses, from collection of items, to countless ladder climbs and more, not to mention how the overall project has been diminished by their loss, and he certainly couldn't have had insurance policies on any of them. No money, just a demolition bill instead.

I fail to see the 'win' in it. I don't know any artist who puts their heart, soul and effort in a major work then destroys it AND [in this case] risks an arson felony charge which becomes a murder charge should a fireman happen to die fighting the fire. He would know that too.

There are a lot of people who do not like the project, ranging from aesthetic taste, to flat out jealousy, to pranking kids. Look there.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4