Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Heidelberg Project House burns

HTML Code:
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130503/METRO01/305030415/Fire-destroys-Heidelberg-Project-house?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE

Pitiful. The Heidelberg Project homes were deliberately set by a firebug who don't give a care about Detroit's art.

In the last 2 nights I have heard an inordinate amount of fire trucks. My Mom told me some idiot has been setting fires in HP too.

Not a fan of the Heidelberg Project but arson is arson. Hopefully the police can find the person or persons involved and bring them to justice.

Wow! I was just there last month for a photo shoot with a group... goodness!
    Last edited by Zacha341; May-03-13 at 02:06 PM.

Also not a fan, but this sucks. photos:

http://detroitfunk.com/?p=9463

Here are several news links:

Heidelberg Project fire deemed suspicious; Guyton says work will continue

http://www.freep.com/article/2013050...n-fire-detroit

http://www.freep.com/article/2013050...e-burns-Guyton

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...#slide=2408371

I'm not cool with the arson, but the Heidelberg Project is just a bunch of organized garbage. I wouldn't miss it.

that 'organized garbage' brings in loads of tourists from around the world on a daily basis.

i heard on the radio bing said he would demolish 10,000 buildings in his first term. what number is he at now?

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    I'm not cool with the arson, but the Heidelberg Project is just a bunch of organized garbage. I wouldn't miss it.

That attitude is no better than the one that lets the rest of the city burn.

I think that you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I don't want one building in this city to burn down. Not one. I said that I'm not cool with the arson. All I'm saying is that I don't like the Heidelberg Project. I think it's ugly. I don't get the message. Art is subjective and I just don't get why a bunch of polkadots painted on an abandoned house draws people. As for Bing tearing down buildings, I'd be fine with Heidelberg being one of his targets. I'm allowed to disagree with people on the merits of Heidelberg and still have a good attitude about the city.

Heidelberg is analogous to Harcore Pawn to me. Sure, it draws a lot of viewers and has some popularity, but that show makes me ill because their bread and butter is to show angry, out-of-control customers that reflect badly on the city. It's bad press and it's embarrassing. In my mind, any abandoned buildings are bad press for the city. I'm not saying that that they should all be torn down [[pre-emptive strike against angry posts); some should definitely be rehabbed IMO [[MCS for example). But Heidelberg is a bunch of abandoned homes with no historical signficance. I don't want to hang my hat on decay when it comes to tourist destinations.

I love the Heidelberg, always supported Tyree. I love riding by and seeing cars and even busses lining the street with art lovers.

Am I crazy or are there a hell of a lot more haters on this site compared to 10 years ago? Dyes was so much more fun back then.

I don't think I'm being a hater, just offering my opinion. We can love the D but not love everything in it.

The thing that I found odd about the Heidleberg project was that it was basically sprawled across land Tyree did not own, and painted on city property. Meanwhile, he put up a sign saying that you could not stand on city property and take pictures. Does Tyree still have that stricture? Does anyone know?

Hopefully this is a step towards razing the entire block of moldy stuffed animals and piles of garbage.

The Heidelberg is not a pretty picture in and of itself, it calls attention to the many lives lived in the now disabled neighborhoods of Detroit. It aint michelangelesque, it is more like Chamberlain's sculptures of crushed car bodies and Rauschenberg's assemblages. It aint pretty but as I said, it says something about Detroit that vacant houses alone dont. It says look at me, I'm a house, some family lived here and you may hate me, but I'm not going to let your memory forget me that easily. Kerplunk.

The fact that Heidelberg exists shows a bit of sanity in Detroit exists outside the abandonment we deplore. Without a piece of art such as Tyree's expression allowed, the city would feel more desolate.

Shollin Guest

I'm confused. People support Heidelberg but get bent out of shape over taggers? Who actually owned the house?

I get pissed at tagging too, but Heidelberg shoots light on a part of the city that people would rather forget about. It's like taking out old pictures from a shoebox and feeling the pain of old memories, the melancholy of old age somewhat. It may be more useful than plain tagging, it certainly is less furtive and anonymous.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I'm confused. People support Heidelberg but get bent out of shape over taggers? Who actually owned the house?
    When Tyree Guyton starts plastering stuffed animals and shoes on every building that's either been abandoned or up for sale in the City, then we'll have a fair comparison. I hope this ends some of your confusion.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-09-13 at 01:38 PM.

Shollin Guest

So we're each allotted a block that we can tag? Got it.

So we're each allotted a block that we can tag? Got it.
    Except it isn't "we're", it's just the same old dozen guys plastering their names all over PRIVATE property, all over the City. So I guess you don't "got it".

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Except it isn't "we're", it's just the same old dozen guys plastering their names all over PRIVATE property, all over the City. So I guess you don't "got it".
    So does the artist own the property or not? if he doesn't, then he's no different than the taggers. What message is the city sending if they allow this project to stay, allow tagging in the Dequindre cut, but then bust taggers everywhere else?

So does the artist own the property or not? if he doesn't, then he's no different than the taggers. What message is the city sending if they allow this project to stay, allow tagging in the Dequindre cut, but then bust taggers everywhere else?
    Obviously the wrong one to you.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast