Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Help the Detroit Achievement Academy Open Its Doors

I've been honored to serve a role on the Detroit Achievement Academy School Board, and we're now in a position where we are ready to open our doors in the fall!

To say the school is going to approach education in a unique fashion is putting it mildly -- we're going to have a community garden for kids to learn about sustainable farming; math and science classes are going to be supplemented with foreign language and computer programming courses, and exercise is going to be a staple of our kids' daily activities.

We're starting our one-month fundraising campaign this morning, and while your monetary support would be more than appreciated, we also would love to hear your thoughts on how we can make this school radically improve the lives of our students.

We're running the campaign here, and there's a bunch of cool goodies that we're giving away in exchange for your always-appreciated support.
    Last edited by michimoby; May-03-13 at 08:53 AM.

Cool, let me check with the rib about it.

Btw, also saw that you cross-posted on mgo. I have to imagine you'll get a good amount from there.

Hi Michimoby. First off, thanks for the post and letting us know about this new charter school opening up and congrats on your role with the school.

I have question though. I know you guys are trying to raise $100k for startup and I see you guys have only raise $30k so far. What happens if you guys are unable to raise the remaining $70k? Will you still be able to open on time?

Thanks again for alerting us to this topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Hi Michimoby. First off, thanks for the post and letting us know about this new charter school opening up and congrats on your role with the school.

I have question though. I know you guys are trying to raise $100k for startup and I see you guys have only raise $30k so far. What happens if you guys are unable to raise the remaining $70k? Will you still be able to open on time?

Thanks again for alerting us to this topic.
    Thanks for the question, C_P.

If we don't hit our funding mark, we have several options, in decreasing order of preference, but all not exactly ideal:

1) Seek out corporate funding -- we're communicating with folks from Facebook, Google, etc. whom all have raved about the school and its offerings.

2) Bootstrap the opening, e.g., fulfill the remainder of the funds amongst the board, Executive Director, Principal, and Founding Teachers. Basically, we'd cover the cost.

3) Delay the opening of the school until 2014.

As you can imagine, we'd prefer not to pursue any of those three options, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

We're continuing to push the media angle at the moment -- and strangely enough, the highest degree of resistance is coming from Detroit-based media. Fast Company, Mashable, and Inc. all seem very eager to spread the word, but getting a blurb in the Free Press or Deadline has been a dogfight.

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    Thanks for the question, C_P.

If we don't hit our funding mark, we have several options, in decreasing order of preference, but all not exactly ideal:

1) Seek out corporate funding -- we're communicating with folks from Facebook, Google, etc. whom all have raved about the school and its offerings.

2) Bootstrap the opening, e.g., fulfill the remainder of the funds amongst the board, Executive Director, Principal, and Founding Teachers. Basically, we'd cover the cost.

3) Delay the opening of the school until 2014.

As you can imagine, we'd prefer not to pursue any of those three options, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

We're continuing to push the media angle at the moment -- and strangely enough, the highest degree of resistance is coming from Detroit-based media. Fast Company, Mashable, and Inc. all seem very eager to spread the word, but getting a blurb in the Free Press or Deadline has been a dogfight.
    Thanks for your response. Other than making a contribution, which I plan to do in the next few days, what other things would you suggest I and others can do to assist you guys in launching this year? Maybe a letter writing campaign to the Free Press, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    Thanks for your response. Other than making a contribution, which I plan to do in the next few days, what other things would you suggest I and others can do to assist you guys in launching this year? Maybe a letter writing campaign to the Free Press, etc.?
    Firstly, we're incredibly appreciative of whatever support you can provide!

In terms of supporting the fundraising effort, any contacts or connections you have with the local media outlets and informing them of the school and its approach would be much appreciated. If anything, attempting to convey the fact that we're a unique breed in regards to charter schools would perhaps be a more compelling story for local media.

Thanks much!