Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Detroit street location from the past.

I cropped and enlarged the street sign I found in a picture from Detroit that had no dating.
    The street sign is of Grand River and Westlawn Blvd; I attempted to find it on current maps and the few maps I have of the past.
    Does anyone have any idea where Westlawn Blvd. is or was located at?
    Thank you for any response.
    Name:  Grand River & Westlawn Sign Post.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  55.2 KB

The full and complete photo as I found it.
    Name:  Grand River and Westlawn.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  43.7 KB

The 1927 R. L. Polk city directory has Westlawn changing names to Strathmoor.

Thanks so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    There are RR tracks East of there around Ardmore & Grand River. Could that be it?

I believe the tracks shown in the photo are those of the old DUR interurban that ran out Grand River to Farmington, and from there connected to Northville or Orchard Lake.

If you are interested in that neighborhood [[Strathmoor) you may want to look at this DY thread from a few months back:
    http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...-of-Strathmoor

Also, your photo is almost certainly pre-1921, because that's when the still-standing Strathmoor State Bank building was built on that corner [[now the Thomas Temple church).

A 1915 map of the area:

Name:  detroit strathmoor area map 1915.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  81.7 KB

Just to orient you to modern times, the street coming in at the bottom left is Schoolcraft Rd. Church Rd. is now Hubbell. Westlawn Blvd., as already noted, is now Strathmoor. The confusingly named Schoolcraft Blvd. is now Mark Twain. Woodslee is now Freeland. Ardmore is still Ardmore, and Stanbury is now spelled Stansbury.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    A 1915 map of the area:

Name:  detroit strathmoor area map 1915.jpg
Views: 1220
Size:  81.7 KB

Just to orient you to modern times, the street coming in at the bottom left is Schoolcraft Rd. Church Rd. is now Hubbell. Westlawn Blvd., as already noted, is now Strathmoor. The confusingly named Schoolcraft Blvd. is now Mark Twain. Woodslee is now Freeland. Ardmore is still Ardmore, and Stanbury is now spelled Stansbury.
    Wow.....you must be WestsideAl, too!

10. Default

Those have to be the Grand River Interurban rails. I think they were [regrettably] ripped out in the early '30's. Light electric rails, rights of way lost. Just awful.