Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Location of establishments / outdoor patio's along the water for having drinks?

Are there any locations along the water, where one can enjoy the weather and view that the city offers, while enjoying an adult beverage?

Joe Muer at the RenCen?
    Volt Bar at the RenCen?

Any places that you can show up with Shorts and a T-Shirt and enjoy a casual afternoon?

In addition to along the waterfront, how about some rooftop decks?

Motor City Brew Works
    M@dison [[private)
    350 Terrace at Music Hall, waiting to try this out.
    Cheli's and Hockeytown, are they even open on non-event days?
    Bookie's, I enjoy.

Even the places up in St. Clair Shores are typically tucked away down a canal.

It is sort of ridiculous that in an area so tied to the river, there isn't a riverfront dining and drinking area.

Sinbad's...but you're inside. I don't think they have the upstairs open unless for private events.

Brownies. SCS.

Whatever the Beach Grill is today. SCS

Rojo. SCS.

Roof top of Toms Downtown?
    Last edited by bailey; May-03-13 at 08:43 AM.

Roberts Riverwalk Hotel [[used to be the Omni) is a beautiful place, has an absolutely lovely view of the river, and is located on the quiet, bucolic end of the Riverwalk.

There is a beautiful river terrace, which you can see on the right foreground of one of the home page photos.

You can sit on the terrace and be served drinks and/or food. It is a quiet place, not a "party over here" kinda' thing - unless they have one of their happy hour events in the summer.

I sometimes call first and check availability of the terrace, as it sometimes is reserved for a wedding or shower.

One of my favorite places in the city.

http://www.detroitriverwalkhotel.com/#!home/mainPage

Surprisingly the Ren Cen Marriott has a lobby bar with a walkout patio that overlooks the river from the second level. It's really nice and very underused. I believe the Rattlesnake club has a small view of the river from the back patio

There is Portofino in Wyandotte that has a nice view but is overrated also some places in St. Clair.

Really pitiful that there aren't more in the metro area.

I think Sinbad's has outdoor seating.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    I think Sinbad's has outdoor seating.
    They have a patio area off the second floor. It's isn't huge but it does supply a view of the water [[and sadly, the parking lot)

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    They have a patio area off the second floor. It's isn't huge but it does supply a view of the water [[and sadly, the parking lot)
    Just want one wants a view of that parking lot!!

Saturday if you adventurous Bayview Yacht Club is hosting its "fitting out" party. There will be quite a few non-members attending. One of the best views of the water anywhere in the city.

Magic stick
    Tom's Oyster bar downtown
    Harry's [[haven't been there in yrs)
    Exodus in Greektown
    Detroiter Bar
    Nikkis Pizza
    Seva

Quote Originally Posted by 4V4DMD View Post
    Magic stick
    Tom's Oyster bar downtown
    Harry's [[haven't been there in yrs)
    Exodus in Greektown
    Detroiter Bar
    Nikkis Pizza
    Seva
    All good but none have a view of the water

Saturday if you adventurous Bayview Yacht Club is hosting its "fitting out" party. There will be quite a few non-members attending. One of the best views of the water anywhere in the city.
    Are you a member?

This is one of the sad things about Michigan in general and SE Michigan in particular: we turn our collective fannies to almost every water source, be those rivers or lakes.

the number of lakes and rivers in the area is in the hundreds and there are but a handful of waterfront dining establishments in the region. Anything on Belleville Lake? Commerce? Cass? There is a single spot on Walled Lake if you don't count the Rootbeer stand. What about Cresant lake? Huron River? Clinton River?

The places up in SCS all make you look at their docks which I consider to be parking lots for boats.

rant over.

For my money the best place is Sans Souci on Harsens.

Don't forget about Pier 500. The home of the mullet!

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Are you a member?
    No just race on a few boats out of the club. If you are interested in checking out the club just tell anyone who asks you are interested in the Adult Learn to Sail Program.
    Last edited by p69rrh51; May-03-13 at 11:35 AM.

Majic Star.

I haven't been there for a couple of years, but Andiamo's in the RenCen has outside seating in the summer and a good view of the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Majic Star.
    I gave up NA40's for lent years ago, but I do like Captain Chrome he is a trip. If you know Air Force that is the boat I usually sail on.

I gave up NA40's for lent years ago, but I do like Captain Chrome he is a trip. If you know Air Force that is the boat I usually sail on.
    Captain chrome, LOL. Small world.

Paper bag, bottle, BI, water. A formula that has worked for me for many, many years.

Detroit Yacht Club naturally has excellent riverfront patio dining. You can also just grab drinks and walk along the entire DYC island. You have to be a member, though!

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    the number of lakes and rivers in the area is in the hundreds and there are but a handful of waterfront dining establishments in the region. Anything on Belleville Lake? Commerce? Cass? There is a single spot on Walled Lake if you don't count the Rootbeer stand. What about Cresant lake? Huron River? Clinton River?
    There is A Matter of Taste on Union Lake in West Bloomfield, Twp. Something you have to remember that all the land around many of the lakes, particularly in Oakland County, is residential & has been that way for years. People have to have their lakefront homes, unless it's too swampy to build.

There's Sharkey's Riverfront Tavern on Grosse Ile too.

There used to be a place in Wyandotte on the water called Porto Fino or something to that effect. Had dinner there a couple of times. It was nice. Is that still around?

I agree with the previous poster that it is ridiculous that there are so few waterfront locations for diners. We have enjoyed The Voyageur Restaurant, in St Clair, for years. Not local, but the view of freighters and pleasure boats is great. San Souci [[sp?) is also a good choice, on Harsen's Island.