Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Al Jazeera to open Detroit bureau

So Al Jazeera, the Arabic TV news channel, is opening 12 bureaus across the US in a massive push to expand here. They recently bought Current TV and will convert it to Al Jazeera America.

Detroit will be one of their bureaus. Putting any politics aside, I'd like to hear speculation on where their new offices may be located. Might it be in Detroit proper, perhaps in a Dan Gilbert building, or maybe in a suburb? Since it'll likely need large satellite dishes, I doubt they'd pick any existing office towers and will opt for more land.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013050...eau-current-TV

Theoretically [[like WDIV), they could have an office downtown with a huge antenna/satellite in the suburbs.

Since it's primarily an Arabic-language channel, I would hazard a guess - Dearborn? The local Arabic language channel is headquartered in Southfield, last time I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    Since it's primarily an Arabic-language channel, I would hazard a guess - Dearborn? The local Arabic language channel is headquartered in Southfield, last time I checked.
    That would make sense too.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    I think this is part of al-Jazeera America, which is English-language. I don't usually listen to them, but their Libyan coverage was good during the civil war.

I like Al-Jazeera. I have seen some great coverage from them. Purely American news is very slanted.

Quote Originally Posted by RickBeall View Post
    I like Al-Jazeera. I have seen some great coverage from them. Purely American news is very slanted.
    Good call. The only way you can truly be well informed is to get both sides of the story, even if both sides are slanted towards their viewpoints. With Detroit, [[Dearborn), having the largest Arab-American population in United States, it makes sense they would locate here.

I, too, check in on Al-Jazeera's website at least once a week. As one might expect, their coverage of the Arab Spring has been extensive and so much better than US news organizations.

Pure speculation, but a few years back Mosaic Youth Theatre acquired the old Channel 56 building on Second Avenue. To me, it seemed too big a building for their needs and fundraising ability. Maybe they would sublet some space to Al-Jazeera?

That's great since Metro-Detroit has a largest Arabic American population outside the middle east. Al-Jazeera American will also have a its own digital local antenna station for those who can't afford cable and satellite.

More information, looking like downtown...

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ns-for-detroit

I have lived overseas and Al Jazeera is way better the CNN or Fox News the stories are much more in depth with just the facts. Al Jazeera is out of Qatar which is pro American and a U.S Allie

Dearborn does make sense, but I think Southfield would be a better location. I didn't pay attention to all those antennas the city has going 696 east.
    Last edited by D_Town; May-05-13 at 10:19 PM. Reason: e

Quote Originally Posted by ddaydetroit View Post
    I have lived overseas and Al Jazeera is way better the CNN or Fox News the stories are much more in depth with just the facts. Al Jazeera is out of Qatar which is pro American and a U.S Allie

One more news source may be a good thing but remember, Qatar is still bullshitland; it makes the skies above Mexico City look positively pristine and the immigrant population walks a straight line. It will be interesting to see what comes out of the Detroit bureau. Choose your friends wisely, and lose that liquor store.

http://thepeninsulaqatar.com/qatar/2...-drinking.html

In fact ddaydetroit, the fact you put Qatar as a US ally and pro American makes me think you have absorbed too much CNN Fox rhetoric. Maybe Al Jazeera will confirm your impression, or confuse you some.

I keep seeing mention of an antenna tower out in the burbs. What they'd do is simply rent some space from an existing broadcaster, not build their own. Their office could be anywhere. As dtowncitylover's link shows, though, it looks like they are almost signed with the Guardian Building.

BTW, they are hear because of the Big Three, not because of Dearborn, though, I'm sure that didn't hurt. This is Al Jazeera America, BTW, everything is done in English and they are hiring locally.

Kind of off topic, but when they are putting in Compuware's headquarters and Campus Martius Park, I'd always envisioned all the major local news broadcasters relocating around the park with studios that overlooking it, kind of like the morning shows in NYC. That'd be so cool.
    Last edited by Dexlin; May-06-13 at 01:31 AM.

Canuck I have been to Qatar and know Americans who live in Qatar . Many People lump all the Countries in the Middle East as the same and that is bullsh*t that would be like saying Mexico and USA are the same because we are both in North America. My passport has many stamps in it from the Middle East .
    Not long ago I spend a month in Kuwait city and felt totally safe walk around any time of the day or night do that in Detroit. Sorry but my facts come from real life experiences not the news

Saudi Arabia is also a friendly state to the US, but it still is a crappy place. Qatar has a veneer of relative freedoms but it depends who and where you are from in the food chain in those countries. Did you read about the forty lashes? Could not find any mention of that on Al Jazeera.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    One more news source may be a good thing but remember, Qatar is still bullshitland; it makes the skies above Mexico City look positively pristine and the immigrant population walks a straight line. It will be interesting to see what comes out of the Detroit bureau. Choose your friends wisely, and lose that liquor store.

http://thepeninsulaqatar.com/qatar/2...-drinking.html
    Just reading that article tells me either Quatar, or the Muslim religion are two places I don't want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Just reading that article tells me either Quatar, or the Muslim religion are two places I don't want to be.

I clank glasses with you on this one Honky Tonk, and let you choose the drink!

I have one more reason to dislike the bastards who promote Qatar as a sane, level headed place in the Middle East; Doha; the capital is trying to have the ICAO move from Montreal to their city . The International Civil Aviation Organization, a UN org based in Montreal since 1946 is responsible for international rules on safety and policy. Their contention is that Montreal doesnt have direct air links to Asia and is farther from Europe than they are. They also say that the city is too cold. Duh! That coming from a desert inferno.
    40 lashes to have drink taken, let's think about that when we pick our next destination.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    More information, looking like downtown...

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ns-for-detroit
    I found this intriguing:

They said they also have looked at the David Stott and Penobscot buildings, but have not yet signed a lease. The space will be both for offices and facilities capable of television broadcasts.
    I'm happy to see the Stott included as a contender. Is this a sign that the Stott is going to be filling up soon?

I hope they plan on hiring, i'll check out the website..