Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Owners sell historic Griswold Building Senior Apartments

First AOD in the UF now this. Looks like change is finally coming to this sleepy triangle.

Name:  1214.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  25.6 KB 1214 Griswold

More displaced seniors and lower income residents.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    First AOD in the UF now this. Looks like change is finally coming to this sleepy triangle.
    That sleepy triangle has the potential to be the coolest neighborhood in all of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkytofu View Post
    That sleepy triangle has the potential to be the coolest neighborhood in all of Detroit.
    I totally agree. When I worked downtown and used to walk around at lunch time, I sometimes wondered over to CP. I always thought that area had a wonderful vibe, sort of New Yorkish to me. With a full years notice, I hope the senior residents will be able to be relocated with a minimum of disruption to them.

Here's a cleaner LEGO view of the building [[thanks to "DecoJim")...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    More displaced seniors and lower income residents.
    That's right! The private company Amboy had brought the building, which his partnered with Broder and Sachse. Services who are venture clients with Dan Gilbert's Rock Ventures LLC. Now that is gentrification. After March 31st 2014 Amboy will issue any section 8 vouchers. They will do away subsidizing and turning that building to either mixed used commercial center or make it into luxury condos like the one on Merchant's Row on Woodward Ave.

When Gilberttown grows, there is no need for DEAD [[C) KRAK HEADS, mutants, po-folks and crazy folks hanging around in Downtown Detroit. The time is right for white folks to come back and do their business in Detroit.

Cool news, as others have said, I also agree that Capitol Park could be a very cool area. Also good to hear that the developers are giving the current residents some time, unlike the ones from a few days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Here's a cleaner LEGO view of the building [[thanks to "DecoJim")...
    Now that's cool.

I agree and saw this coming , that area is primed for development .
    I've heard rumors for 4 years about this . One of the guys who developed Soho, South Beach, ect has been eying that area for a while.
    If you've been paying attention this same type of thing happen in South Beach, they moved a lot of the seniors out , but on the other side the city turned around and is now one of the hottest in the country.
    Why can't they make the Brewsters into senior housing ? similar to the apartments off of the lodge ?
    I just hope they can be fair to the seniors

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    I agree and saw this coming , that area is primed for development .
    I've heard rumors for 4 years about this . One of the guys who developed Soho, South Beach, ect has been eying that area for a while.
    If you've been paying attention this same type of thing happen in South Beach, they moved a lot of the seniors out , but on the other side the city turned around and is now one of the hottest in the country.
    Why can't they make the Brewsters into senior housing ? similar to the apartments off of the lodge ?
    I just hope they can be fair to the seniors
    I agree with you on both counts. Someone ought to do a quick study on the Brewsters to see if the structures are sound, and what development costs would be. The only drawback I can see, is there isn't a lot of close proximity "walk-to" type stores and entertainment for seniors.

Humm that got me thinking , well it's not too far from Ford Field and Comerica park , Brush Park, I think John R is the street that runs North/ South?
    As for the structures being sound , a bomb couldn't bring those thing down LOL
    but serious isn't one reason they are still around is the cost to bring the down is so high and seeing that they were originally built as housing and handicap friendly this could work .
    They could put new windows in ,update them , it's much better than building new or moving them far outside the city miles away from families , doctors and ect and they are familiar with the area ?

Yeah nothing cooler than a bunch of priests and nuns hanging out in the square smacking all of the people who get out of line with the ruler!

"Pull up your pants!" WHACK!
    "Put out the cigarette!" WHACK!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Yeah nothing cooler than a bunch of priests and nuns hanging out in the square smacking all of the people who get out of line with the ruler!

"Pull up your pants!" WHACK!
    "Put out the cigarette!" WHACK!
    "Put down that AK-47!" WHACK!

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Cool news, as others have said, I also agree that Capitol Park could be a very cool area. Also good to hear that the developers are giving the current residents some time, unlike the ones from a few days ago.
    I did see on Huffington that the Henry street folks who are being displaced now have 60 days instead of 30, and the last two months of rent are free. So now at least they have some more time and cash to re-settle.