Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hipster Beach on Belle Isle

Name:  IMG_4315.jpg
Views: 12480
Size:  37.6 KB

Does anyone know what is going on near the "Hipster Beach" area on Belle Isle? I was walking back there yesterday and I noticed a large path, possibly for a road, had been created. Also a lot of trees were cut down, a new pedestrian bridge had been constructed and the small pond is looking to have some sort of beach area now. I apologize if this has already been a topic.
    Last edited by warsaw7; May-02-13 at 08:40 AM.

Django knows. I seem to remember that late last summer the DNR created a fish habitat just off shore as part of a Federal program. Not positive.

Slightly off topic but is there an area on the island I can take my dog for a swim? I know its been mentioned here before but I forgot the location.

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    Slightly off topic but is there an area on the island I can take my dog for a swim? I know its been mentioned here before but I forgot the location.
    The trail going to the Livingstone Light runs along the river that seems to be a popular place to take your dog for a swim.

We used to take the dog to the beach for a swim. There is no lifeguard and if you get there early there are no families either. I have not had a dog for over ten years so things may be different now.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    We used to take the dog to the beach for a swim. There is no lifeguard and if you get there early there are no families either. I have not had a dog for over ten years so things may be different now.
    No... not really... dogs still like swimming....

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    [[snare drum)

LOL.... I had to read that one 3 times.

In 1967 there was a hipster beach party at Belle Isle. Hippies from all over the states spreading their peace, love and soul into the motor city. Everyone had a great time.

Warsaw7, was the beach area on the SE or NW side of the trail? Im pretty sure its on the canal or the NW side. I saw a pic on FB of some of the regulars from the beach there yesterday on bikes. Looks like the beach from lastyear was unharmed.
    Gannon and I started back there yesterday but ran out of time halfway back on the trail. Theres a new rock memorial near the ItsJeff bench, cant remember his name but we met the deceased's son who was there hanging out on a nearby bench.
    Im curious if there was much red tape getting the ItsJeff bench and engraved rock? Or was it just put there?

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Django knows. I seem to remember that late last summer the DNR created a fish habitat just off shore as part of a Federal program. Not positive.
    Yes, there has been work done there to increase spawning grounds for sturgeon. Other species have benefited from the project as well:

http://www.miseagrant.umich.edu/down...fact-sheet.pdf

It was shocking to see the devastation on that strip...it looked like a warzone when they first stripped it. But I found one of the 'teeth' the monsters left behind, and intend on making some artwork with it to commemorate the nature torn away to preserve that end of the island from the current erosion.

I'm loving all the tile art on the eastern shore, sure would love to meet the folk doing that. I almost don't walk the main trail any longer, the little ones closer to the water are much more interesting.

I think it is a nice little hipster trap they've set. Make it all nice, then wait to ticket everybody who dares go out for some fun in the sun. Fuck that. They should ticket stuff that actually is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ypsifly View Post
    Yes, there has been work done there to increase spawning grounds for sturgeon. Other species have benefited from the project as well:

http://www.miseagrant.umich.edu/down...fact-sheet.pdf
    What a cool looking prehistoric fish. And the City Council didn't want the DNR to take responsibllity for Belle Isle. Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    Warsaw7, was the beach area on the SE or NW side of the trail? Im pretty sure its on the canal or the NW side. I saw a pic on FB of some of the regulars from the beach there yesterday on bikes. Looks like the beach from lastyear was unharmed.
    Gannon and I started back there yesterday but ran out of time halfway back on the trail. Theres a new rock memorial near the ItsJeff bench, cant remember his name but we met the deceased's son who was there hanging out on a nearby bench.
    Im curious if there was much red tape getting the ItsJeff bench and engraved rock? Or was it just put there?

Name:  IMG_4316.jpg
Views: 6009
Size:  36.7 KB

Here is a photo of the beach area I am referring to.

http://www.detroitriver.org/fdr-pdf/GLRI/b_i_p_r.pdf

sort of explains some of the plans to rehab fish and wildlife habitats on belle isle. According to the PDF fish and wildlife had a difficult time getting through grates that had been placed there years ago. The new pedestrian bridge allows for easier transference of fish and other creatures.

i would assume the clear cutting of scrub trees and bushes was done for esthetic reasons. As with all esthetics your taste may differ, but the intent is clear: enhance wildlife habitat not the wild lives of hipsters.

Is Frederick Law Olmsted spinning in his grave?

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    Is Frederick Law Olmsted spinning in his grave?
    Not at all... When Fredrick Law Olmsted designed Belle Isle Park, it was only at about 600 acres. The eastern and western ends of the island did not even exist, and therefore were never designed by Olmstead. The entire Scott Fountain, with basin and western tip of the island were first built in the early to mid 1920s... and the eastern end with the Blue Heron Lagoon and Livingston Lighthouse came a little later.

The 2 ends of the island were built up from materials excavated for building downtown Detroit's skyscraper boom from 1920-29. Even the much maligned concrete paddock area of the island didn't exist in Olmstead's time.

Belle Isle is now at 982 acres.
    Last edited by Gistok; May-06-13 at 01:29 PM.

I was talking with a member of the Detroit River Conservancy earlier in the year and the areas that were clear cut will be replanted with native shrubs and trees.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    http://www.detroitriver.org/fdr-pdf/GLRI/b_i_p_r.pdf

sort of explains some of the plans to rehab fish and wildlife habitats on belle isle. According to the PDF fish and wildlife had a difficult time getting through grates that had been placed there years ago. The new pedestrian bridge allows for easier transference of fish and other creatures.

i would assume the clear cutting of scrub trees and bushes was done for esthetic reasons. As with all esthetics your taste may differ, but the intent is clear: enhance wildlife habitat not the wild lives of hipsters.

Quote Originally Posted by Margarite View Post
    I was talking with a member of the Detroit River Conservancy earlier in the year and the areas that were clear cut will be replanted with native shrubs and trees.
    I hope they leave it natural and not turn it into some kind of abomination, complete with hanging baskets from Home Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I hope they leave it natural and not turn it into some kind of abomination, complete with hanging baskets from Home Depot.
    .... such impatients!!

.... such impatients!!
    I can't believe that came out of your two lips...

To anyone that has been to this area recently, about how large of any area was cleared out? Was it scraped to the dirt or just cleared of brush? And when was this work done?

The "beach area" shown in the photo above, created in the small pond, is designed to be a turtle habitat. Thus tree trunks anchored off of it for turtles to sun themselves on, etc. It will have native plant "landscaping".

More details here:
    http://www.stewardshipnetwork.org/at...AT%20STORY.PDF

"The habitat restoration will include a wide range of features, including new shallows that will sometimes be exposed [[a boon to shorebirds), additional woody debris [[“Trees are like the coral reefs of fresh water,” comments Crawford), snake hibernacula in upland areas, and sandy beach areas for turtle nests. Outside the new openings will be partly submerged boulders, to protect the tip from floating ice and irresponsible jet skiers. Fish species, including the targeted Northern Pike, Yellow Perch, and Gizzard Shad, will enjoy moderated water temperatures and higher oxygen levels."

The pic above is not the beach area thats popular every summer. Went by Sunday and found it all to be intact. Hope the cops dont start giving out more tickets than they usually do. The whole area now is so open and obtainable Im worried of mass traffic, I liked it better when it was a little known spot that only a few knew about. Oh well, thats progress, at least I got a taste of the olden days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast