Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Moving to Detroit want some help Please!

Hello everyone I am moving to Detroit from Buffalo so not a big change however I have some questions that I would love some educated answers on. A little background about myself to help you answer. I am a 26 year old, male, I will be working at a Hospital in Dearborn MI, I love alternative scenes with music, art and food, enjoy city life, good markets, culture, nature and hockey and much more.

1) Where should I live since I am working in Dearborn [[id prefer the city but dont want a 15 min drive to take an hour cuz of traffic)

2) Where is the safest/most fun and young area to live in in the city or the respective area you think would be best to live in?

3)Respected apartments in the area you think would be best to live in?

4) Any other advice or pointers.

Thank you so much for your help and I cannot wait to join your city.

I know this won't work, but in a fit of optimism, I suggest you try reading this thread:

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...stand-the-hype

and possibly this one:

http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...ago-to-Detroit

because I can only imagine you will get very similar responses.

After you have read them, perhaps you will have some followup questions that people can answer in a focused way.
    Last edited by mwilbert; May-01-13 at 11:55 PM.

Make sure you have good life insurance and are prepared for a sky high jump in your car insurance. Have the hospital install eyes in the back of your head, and get your CCW permit and the appropriate hardware.

Don't worry about insurance, you won't need a car, they're removing all the freeways.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpyoldlady View Post
    Make sure you have good life insurance and are prepared for a sky high jump in your car insurance. Have the hospital install eyes in the back of your head, and get your CCW permit and the appropriate hardware.
    Ignore the people like this since most of them have not lived in the city in a long, long time and are just filled with hate/anger.

Now, to the original question: I would recommend midtown. Depending upon where you work in Dearborn you could take 94 [[which doesn't get that busy) or just take Michigan avenue. Neither should be difficult commutes.
    Last edited by jt1; May-02-13 at 07:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sag9229 View Post
    Hello everyone I am moving to Detroit from Buffalo so not a big change however I have some questions that I would love some educated answers on. A little background about myself to help you answer. I am a 26 year old, male, I will be working at a Hospital in Dearborn MI, I love alternative scenes with music, art and food, enjoy city life, good markets, culture, nature and hockey and much more.

1) Where should I live since I am working in Dearborn [[id prefer the city but dont want a 15 min drive to take an hour cuz of traffic)

2) Where is the safest/most fun and young area to live in in the city or the respective area you think would be best to live in?

Welcome. We moved from Chicago last year. You will be reverse commuting on 94, so consider neighborhoods like Woodbridge and Midtown that are pretty close to the highway, and also young.

Woodbridge is a little bohemian, overall, Midtown is a bit more student/professional.

Welcome! City life can be tough but being a total realist - as a young person, especially as you describe yourself and your interests, you will enjoy the city and I would certainly recommend you live here instead of the suburbs based on your information.

In addition to Woodbridge or Midtown, you could try downtown or Corktown. Lots of fun bars and music and whatnot. You could also try getting a loft or apartment near Eastern Market, one of the greatest public markets you will find. Living downtown would be especially commodious for you given the Hockey Arena is there and plenty of good places to watch the game.

Interesting you mention nature. I've always found we're lacking in that as a region, mostly because we like to sprawl all over what was once nature. Belle Isle is a big island park in the city, a little run down, but does the job in a fix.

The commute from downtown [[or the downtown area) to Dearborn is quite smooth. There is no bona fide rush-hour here, just people who get pissed off and demand the freeways be widened when a 15 minute commute takes 20 minutes because of "traffic."
    Last edited by poobert; May-02-13 at 09:30 AM.

Young, male, single, enjoys hockey?

Ann Arbor is your place, man. All those things you're looking for are offered to you with a dating scene 10x better than Detroit's. And fergodsakes, avoid Royal Oak like the plague.
    Last edited by michimoby; May-02-13 at 10:54 AM.

Find a place close to your work. For the most part, Dearborn is a fine place to live. Ann Arbor is too far, you don't want to have to put up with the commute if you don't have to. Dearborn has transit or you could bike to work. This would be most helpful on snowy days [[but then again, being from Buffalo you're used to those!)

Give Lafayette Pavilion apartments in Lafayette Park serious consideration. It would be a good transition to the city; lease for a year or two then figure out if you want to live elsewhere.

easy freeway access [[at least now, Lol!)
    rush-hour commute against traffic
    established, solid community
    safe, relative to other areas of the city
    an apartment building with many university [[especially med) students
    a neighborhood in a park-like setting
    outdoor pool, indoor exercise room
    apartment building adjacent to a historically designated community
    walking distance to downtown
    walking distance [[5 min.) to Eastern Market
    small grocer/liquor store inside building
    new grocery store in neighborhood
    walk to Dequindre Cut/RiverWalk
    5-10 minutes by car to all Downtown/Midtown/Belle Isle etc., cool events
    10 minutewalk to baseball, football stadiums
    some of the best views of the city, in the city.

If you get to the point of seriously considering this, get the book, Thanks for the View, Mr. Mies: Lafayette Park, Detroit; great stories therein, on Lafayette Pavilion.

I'll never understand why whenever someone openly says they want to live in the city on DetroitYes and less than ten posts in the suburb recommendations start coming in. Even better, less than five posts in and it's not-so-subtly implied that they will be murdered.

I'd have to recommend Dearborn itself. Besides being close to where you work, it has several types of neighborhoods for every budget, and downtown is a short drive down Michigan Ave.

I'd move to Detroit proper. You're young, single, and based on what you stated as your interests, Detroit is the place. Downtown, Midtown, Corktown, Woodbridge, Layayette Park -- all are close to the "action" and have plenty of like-minded folks living there.

The commute to Dearborn will be easy, with several alternative routes should you run into an issue some morning. Scan past threads for apartment recommendations, but perhaps narrow it down for us with a price range.

Ok, Here's what I'd do. Rent a room somewhere near the Hospital, [[Oakwood?) for a few months. There are probably bulletin boards @ the hospital with those kind of ads on them. Then check it out. Where are your fellow employees living? Where do they hang out? What do they like to do? Commute to Detroit and check THAT out. There are places in Dearborn with that kind of atmosphere, just like there are places in Detroit that suck. Once you get the hang of the lay of the land, only you know where you fit in. It beats signing a lease and living in an area you don't like. Are you a doctor? Hey, it hurts every time I do this........

Wow i wasnt expecting so many responses thanks everyone! Besides the few that predicted my impending murder haha.

Its good to hear the commute isnt bad Buffalo is the same way with what I call a "rush hour". I will definitely check out Midtown, Downtown, Woodbridge, Dearborn, and others. I should be there for a visit soon and dont move for over a month and can check out the area. It seems that rent is not too high anywhere Id be willing to spend 800 a month or so.

Random question any suggestions for mexican food or other places when I visit in the near future.

Wow i wasnt expecting so many responses thanks everyone! Besides the few that predicted my impending murder haha.

Its good to hear the commute isnt bad Buffalo is the same way with what I call a "rush hour". I will definitely check out Midtown, Downtown, Woodbridge, Dearborn, and others. I should be there for a visit soon and dont move for over a month and can check out the area. It seems that rent is not too high anywhere Id be willing to spend 800 a month or so.

Random question any suggestions for mexican food or other places when I visit in the near future.
    Well, Detroit DOES have a Mexican Town with a variety of restaurants... however you will get a plethora of responses as to which one is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by p1acebo View Post
    Well, Detroit DOES have a Mexican Town with a variety of restaurants... however you will get a plethora of responses as to which one is the best.
    Yeah, you'll get quite a variety of recommendations. My favorite is Taqueria Lupita. I've heard good things about Los Altos and Taqueria Mi Pueblo.

No shortage of Mexican food that sounds good too me. I will go with Taqueria Lupita because you were the first to answer

^^ You'll be glad you did.

Conveniently for you, it seems, the Mexican area happens to be between downtown and Dearborn. If ethnic cuisine is your thing, you should also know that Dearborn itself has one of the largest Middle-Eastern communities in the U.S. and there are several good, casual, and inexpensive restaurants there, particularly on the strip along Warren near Schaefer.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I'll never understand why whenever someone openly says they want to live in the city on DetroitYes and less than ten posts in the suburb recommendations start coming in. Even better, less than five posts in and it's not-so-subtly implied that they will be murdered.
    I've said this before. It says a lot doesn't?

Los Altos https://plus.google.com/107575471178...ut?gl=us&hl=en

No shortage of Mexican food that sounds good too me. I will go with Taqueria Lupita because you were the first to answer
    Save your time, money, and stomach. This one is very good too. http://www.mipueblorestaurant.com/

I suggest moving to SW Detroit, specifically Hubbard Farms. It's a historic district within Mexican Town. You can drive to Dearborn in 10-15 minutes with ease. This neighborhood is very vibrant and community oriented. This specific part of Detroit is very diverse and feels quite safe. I've lived here since December and haven't run into or even heard about any issues regarding safety. Knock on wood... Alot of young people have been moving into the area as a result of the low vacancy in Corktown. This neighborhood is filled with amenities such as a short walk to grocery shopping [[Honey Bee, E&L, Ryan's), a large park [[Clark Park), community gardens, coffee [[Cafe con Leche), ice cream [[Nevaria La Michoacana), tons of great Mexican food [[Xochimilco, Armando's, etc...) and a couple cool bars [[Donovan's, Giovanna's); not to mention just outside of Corktown and less than 2 miles from Downtown/Midtown. Respected apartments in the area are charming historic structures some of which are fully restored [[unfortunately not to their former glory) by a non-profit called Southwest Housing Solutions [[google it for more info). They own multiple buildings and are very reasonably priced. The interiors of their buildings have all been restored in the late 2000's so you can expect low utility costs as a result of everything being Energy Star rated. You would get a whole lot more square-footage for your money in comparison to say Midtown, Woodbridge, or Corktown [[which are all excellent neighborhoods). Also, many people are restoring houses/ duplexes in the neighborhood often renting out flats.

On occasion we rent out rooms in our 105 year home in historic Islandview Village minutes from downtown. Someone else suggested rent a room until you explore where you might want to live. We have a room where you could take a few weeks to explore your living options.

Hubbard Farms was a good suggestion our son lived there for several years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast