Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default 2013 11th Annual DetroitYES Picnic - Sunday, June 23 at 12 noon on Belle Isle

UPDATE: Come one, come all!! It's Official!!!

The 2013 DetroitYES Picnic is on Sunday, June 23 at 12 noon on Belle Isle.

Bring a dish to pass, your main course to grill [[or not), and chairs for you and your group.

See latest details here
    Now that May has blessed us with a snow-free landscape, thoughts turn to the annual DetroitYes picnic. Since no thread has yet been started, I thought it was not too early to start one.

a recent drive around Belle Isle reviewed the whole west end is already covered in viewing stands and concrete barriers. I tried to get over to the Flynn Pavilion but a bridge was closed off so I could not loop around. In short, even if the race isn't the end of May, getting to the usual location may be problematic.

i hope someone has better info.

tradition sez, we gather to roast animal flesh and eat sand pail pudding on the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend.

Everyone, newbies and old hands are invited and encouraged to attend.

Tradition also sez that the honorable Kathleen is the boss, assisted by Der Grillmeister.

i just wanted to get the ball rolling.

for those who don't know. You bring your own stuff to grill and usually a dish to pass.

so, we don't know when, or where, but something is coming and you should think about attending.

Oh no Gnome!!! I finally got my suger in check after going sugar coma on last year's Blueidone's Sand Pail Pudding... and Gnome's "Big D" Apple Pie... shown here being held by Gnome's own pasty white hands ... lol..

Also shown was our location last May [[after we cleaned up)... at Milliken State Park. I really liked that location... and wouldn't mind another soiree at that site, if Belle Isle is not available...
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I was waiting for this thread. If anyone is interested how about Windmillpointe Park if anyone is interested let me know.

Mt. Elliot park is peaceful and gorgeous too; and right on the quiet end of the Riverwalk.

Thanks, gnome!! I've been thinking a bit about the picnic. In fact, when I was over on Belle Isle last week to attend the Preservation Detroit Membership Event, I scoped out the usual spot. I actually had no problem getting there, bearing left as I came off the bridge, turning left onto Central Ave. and taking a right on Muse to Loiter Way.

Belle Isle is our tradition, one that I would prefer to keep, if possible, for our 11th Annual DetroitYES Picnic. Tradition also calls for the picnic to be on Memorial Day Sunday, starting around noon and running until whenever. We usually hang out at the intersection of Muse and Loiter Way, across from the Flynn Skating Pavilion. Plenty of parking. Restrooms nearby.

Re: Milliken State Park, it was a bit crazy last year on Grand Prix Sunday. They had most of the park reserved, so we lucked out, ending up in that corner spot. I imagine that on Memorial Day weekend, the place is fully reserved.

Re: Windmill Pointe Park, definitely a beautiful park with all the amenities, but not sure we want to go outside the D.

Re: Mount Elliott Park, it does look nice [[as viewed from Google Earth), but have public restrooms been installed yet?

Anyone interested in attending the DetroitYES picnic, please make your interest and preferences known so that we can make plans.

Blueidone and hubby will attend, sand pail pudding will be prepared, along with other goodies for sharing. We liked last year's location but think Belle Isle is preferable. Looking forward to it!
    Last edited by Blueidone; May-02-13 at 02:40 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Re: Mount Elliott Park, it does look nice [[as viewed from Google Earth), but have public restrooms been installed yet?
    A couple of years ago, the USCG was allowing park people to use their facilities in their building, [[a short walk). I'm not sure if that's changed or not. It IS a very nice park, though.

Thanks, gnome!! I've been thinking a bit about the picnic. In fact, when I was over on Belle Isle last week to attend the Preservation Detroit Membership Event, I scoped out the usual spot. I actually had no problem getting there, bearing left as I came off the bridge, turning left onto Central Ave. and taking a right on Muse to Loiter Way.

Belle Isle is our tradition, one that I would prefer to keep, if possible, for our 11th Annual DetroitYES Picnic. Tradition also calls for the picnic to be on Memorial Day Sunday, starting around noon and running until whenever. We usually hang out at the intersection of Muse and Loiter Way, across from the Flynn Skating Pavilion. Plenty of parking. Restrooms nearby.

Re: Milliken State Park, it was a bit crazy last year on Grand Prix Sunday. They had most of the park reserved, so we lucked out, ending up in that corner spot. I imagine that on Memorial Day weekend, the place is fully reserved.

Re: Windmill Pointe Park, definitely a beautiful park with all the amenities, but not sure we want to go outside the D.

Anyone interested in attending the DetroitYES picnic, please make your interest and preferences known so that we can make plans.
    Kathleen the western part of the Park at Windmill Pointe is actually in Detroit. One of the reasons why I suggested the park.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Kathleen the western part of the Park at Windmill Pointe is actually in Detroit. One of the reasons why I suggested the park.
    The few times I've been there, I had to meet GP friends @ the gate to get in. How are you going to get everyone in? [[I'm NOT looking for a fight, it's just a question). Thanx.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-02-13 at 09:39 AM.

Not to mention that we never have even a hint of how many people will show or when they will arrive.

Last year when we were looking for alternate sites, any mention of a park too far from downtown was nixed.

I'd also mention that Belle Isle has the added attractions of the Conservatory, the Nature Center, the Dossin Great Lakes Museum [[which will have just reopened after being closed for 6 months to be renovated), and bicycling, fishing, etc. Folks have been known to take off to enjoy the island, show it off to family and friends who haven't been there in a while, etc., and then rejoin the picnic a while later.

Kathleen is the boss. While she would deny such a vaulted position, she is the one who does all the work to put this together. She has done it since the beginning and has been the driving force behind the thing.

no doubt, everyone has great ideas about the location, but we can chase our tails forever and never come up with a place that makes everyone happy. If Kathleen says, the Grand Prix won't restrict access to our traditional spot, I say go with her very reasonable recommendation.

Now, who is bringing what?

i'll bring another apple pie, some brats and my usual Ptomaine salad.
    Blue is bringing the Sandpail Pudding.

Gistok...better bring the Fizzies.

I am thinking Gazhekinini and I will be there with some craft beers and K-Mart subs. [[I'll cut them in quarters so people can try them and still have room for more good stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Kathleen is the boss. While she would deny such a vaulted position, she is the one who does all the work to put this together. She has done it since the beginning and has been the driving force behind the thing.
    While Dave and I have been involved with the picnic since its inception, we owe the picnic tradition to our dear departed friend itsJeff who established the date and location.

Gannon and Jams, among others, were instrumental in bringing this event along too in the early years. Others have stepped forward in more recent years. And Lowell has offered his full support of the event each year. This is a group effort to bring it all together each year!!!!

Not to mention that we never have even a hint of how many people will show or when they will arrive.

Last year when we were looking for alternate sites, any mention of a park too far from downtown was nixed.

I'd also mention that Belle Isle has the added attractions of the Conservatory, the Nature Center, the Dossin Great Lakes Museum [[which will have just reopened after being closed for 6 months to be renovated), and bicycling, fishing, etc. Folks have been known to take off to enjoy the island, show it off to family and friends who haven't been there in a while, etc., and then rejoin the picnic a while later.
    I agree with you about the attributes of Belle Isle, but if you guys are doing this during GP weekend, are they allowing cars accross the bridge? I thought it was bus only. And there's the issue of the car background noise.

The Grand Prix is the following weekend.....June 1-3.

http://www.detroitgp.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    The few times I've been there, I had to meet GP friends @ the gate to get in. How are you going to get everyone in? [[I'm NOT looking for a fight, it's just a question). Thanx.
    HT I would take of the details with the gate. One other park to meet that hardly is ever mentioned is Detroit's "other" jewel Palmer Park. We could meet in the area around the Merrill Fountain and the Log Cabin. If anyone was interested I would not mind leading a tour around Palmer Park Apartment Historic District.

I really hope to make it this year. I have not been in several years and miss seeing everyone. I will see how my plans work out this year. The last picnic I went to was the year Jeff passed, just four short months afterwards.
    Last edited by gumby; May-02-13 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Now, who is bringing what?

i'll bring another apple pie, some brats and my usual Ptomaine salad.
    Blue is bringing the Sandpail Pudding.

Gistok...better bring the Fizzies.
    I usually get those after I've eaten...

mmmmmm... Ptomaine salad... that'll go good with the Salmanella sandwiches...

I'll probably bring beverages again...

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    Mt. Elliot park is peaceful and gorgeous too; and right on the quiet end of the Riverwalk.
    Mt. Elliot Park has been under construction since last year. Lots of activity, but I'm not sure when, if ever, they're going to finish it. Several new attractions are being added. Currently, it's fenced off.

As long as we can get in and park etc, I still vote for Belle Isle.

In addition to the Sand Pail Pudding, I will bring a pasta salad.

Trusty 6' table and some chairs will come along as well. Let me know if you need anything else.

I'm there!! Better see some new faces this year.

Quote Originally Posted by stromberg2 View Post
    I'm there!! Better see some new faces this year.
    Mine won't be done in time...the transplant surgery was postponed again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Mine won't be done in time...the transplant surgery was postponed again.

Gannon, along with your outdated face, are you the one to bring a boombox for bg noise?

^^^ Yes, yes he is. Good one, John!!

25. Default

Well at least no one nominated the 'hipster beach'. ha ha.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast