Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Bing's police protection

According to this:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Bing has 26 freaking police officers on his personal protection unit. Meanwhile, at any given time, there are two cars on the street in the entire midtown area. Not to metion vast areas of the city that probably have no significant police presence.

Why does one guy need 26 cops to protect him?

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    According to this:

Bing has 26 freaking police officers on his personal protection unit. Meanwhile, at any given time, there are two cars on the street in the entire midtown area. Not to metion vast areas of the city that probably have no significant police presence.

Complete egregious waste that should be investigated. On the flip side, why are there precincts/neighborhoods that claim there are only two cars on patrol in a given area. There are 3000 fricken DPD officers/brass but it seems that there are only about 100 patrolling the city at any given time. DPD and the officers union need to address this [[and the papers need to call out this bs as well)

At least King Bing is safe. That should make the rest of the city sleep well at night.

He could have two complete basketball teams with a full bench!

there are two cars on the street in the entire midtown area
    OMG! The latte crimes are going to go up! People will leave without paying!

After Bing give Detroit home rule to Kevin Orr [[ the New Mayor of Detroit). He fears that someone would assassinate him. So having some security will protect him to the end. I would advise all Detroiters not to vote for him. HE'S A SELLOUT!

BING! Please don't run for mayor. RETIRE and leave Detroit to fresh new political figure that don't hip hop like Kwame or being Snyder's puppet like you!

According to this:..http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

Does anyone else think that article is nearly unintelligible? Maybe journalism school will be missed.

Because its so hard to understand, its difficult to judge whether the protection unit is overstaffed. We don't know what they do. Sounds like about the staff the K2 had. The fact that it hasn't changed is cause for alarm.

I think it goes like this:

the Mayor has an engagement - a speech or something mostly every night. There's a cop who does the advance, checking out the room and arrangements and speaking by phone with the Mayor's staff. That guy moves on to the next site for the evening [[usually there are a few) andthe Mayor gets into a car with his driver and another cop. The driver will stay with the car and the second guy goes with the mayor and watches his back when the citizens start screaming and threatening.

The mayor's wife certainly has a driver and another protective cop when she goes out. That's five outside people every shift times three =15 in the Mayor's detail. They are all specially trained in escape and avaoidance driving techniques.

Then there are the people who stay at the Manoogian, guarding the Mayor's home when he's not there. Say at least two per 8-hour shift. That makes 21 slots per day.

Then there are the officers who have to be on the detail to fill in for anyone who's off and the officers who work the mayor's office during business hours and after. In the office there would be one guy 7-3 and another 3 to whenever. That probably adds up to 5 postions that are officially on the detail.

I think at any given time there are a few fewer.

So there you have it

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    After Bing give Detroit home rule to Kevin Orr [[ the New Mayor of Detroit). He fears that someone would assassinate him.
    The old senile bat just ain't that important.

According to this:

I'm not defending Bing of his detail. Hardly! But if we are going to have this discussion, then who can shed light on how many cars are actually patrolling a precinct on any given night? I've heard these assertions of two cars in a precinct, but are they really true? Who has the real facts?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    I'm not defending Bing of his detail. Hardly! But if we are going to have this discussion, then who can shed light on how many cars are actually patrolling a precinct on any given night? I've heard these assertions of two cars in a precinct, but are they really true? Who has the real facts?
    Be careful of statistics. Years ago a DPD officer showed me the downtown precinct assignment sheet. It said there were 12 cars downtown. 11 of the 12 were actually assigned to something else verbally. But it looked good on paper. He was mad that he was the only patrol car in all downtown that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Be careful of statistics. Years ago a DPD officer showed me the downtown precinct assignment sheet. It said there were 12 cars downtown. 11 of the 12 were actually assigned to something else verbally. But it looked good on paper. He was mad that he was the only patrol car in all downtown that day.
    So, in other words, you don't know.

The EPU has a command office inside the Manoogian that tracks all deployed EPU staff, and evaluates received reports re potential needs to fulfill its mission hour by hour.

Shollin Guest

Why would Midtown need more than 2 patroling cars when Wayne State patrols the area? It seems to me that since Midtown is safer than most areas of Detroit and you have WSU patrolling the area, you could move one car to a different high crime district.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    Why would Midtown need more than 2 patroling cars when Wayne State patrols the area? It seems to me that since Midtown is safer than most areas of Detroit and you have WSU patrolling the area, you could move one car to a different high crime district.
    Exactly. I think that's the reason.

No other major city reportedly has this degree of security for its mayor. Is there a list of other big cities available in this regard.

Just disconnected thoughts. I am told there are 2 cars in my hood with 2 floater vehicles. We drive the far eastside roughly twice a week, never used to see cars except for gpp, lately we have seen up to 5 cars on our trip there and back. My niece, a Detroit police officer has been on a desk job for 5 years that could easily be done by a civilian. To give credit due, we have had to call police 3 times in three years, they have always shown up quickly.

Forgot to add I had a client in the Berry subdivision, I generally see three cars at the Manogian but no clue how many officers

How many police personnel are assigned to Orr right now?