Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

1. Default Plea for Low Income Housing in Metro Detroit. Can you answer this question?

The following heart-rending question came in via the DetroitYES contact form. How would you answer it and what would you advise?

"I have a 5 yr. old and a new born.. We need low income housing.. Where we live I've had my place broken into and vandalized twice. I'm afraid for my family.

I'm looking, for a low income home for me and my little girls please help us..."

The message also included a phone number, which I won't publish here for obvious reasons, but can release to responsible parties who might help.

My answer would depend on the woman's income and whether or not she had a Section 8 voucher for housing.

But right now, it is my belief that until the issues of police protection and fire protection are adequately addressed in the City of Detroit, she should move to a suburb to raise her children. And I'm very sorry to say that but I'm being a realist.

I used to work for a company that built low income housing in the City. There were a total of 34 beautiful duplex units that had 3 bedrooms, 2 baths, a full basement and a garage. For the first few years they were fully occupied and well-kept. The residents were happy, for the most part.

Just in the last year, it has become a nest of crime and destruction. Front doors kicked in, fires, home invasions, etc. The City of Detroit turned off the street lights in the area. There is little or no protection by the DPD. They have vacant units, but I cannot, in all good conscience, recommend it to anyone.

If this person has a Section 8 housing voucher, that allows her to rent from anyone who will accept the voucher. Check www.michiganhousinglocator.com for rental who accept it. If not, I do no a property manager who has some houses available to rent in the City, but I cannot vouch for the safety of the areas where they are located.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueidone View Post
    [I]t is my belief that until the issues of police protection and fire protection are adequately addressed in the City of Detroit, she should move to a suburb to raise her children. And I'm very sorry to say that but I'm being a realist.
    God yes. I don't know why any poor person would choose to live in the CoD.

Quote Originally Posted by jolla View Post
    God yes. I don't know why any poor person would choose to live in the CoD.
    I know! All they have to do is have decent credit, pull together a measly few thousand dollars for closing costs, down payment and taxes, and they can have their pick of houses in some fine suburban neighborhoods.

Oh, wait ...

Section 8 is widely used in the suburbs. From the perspective of the subsidized renter, there's no difference in price to rent under Sec 8. in the suburbs.

So try to use your voucher in the suburbs. Places like Hazel Park, Warren, Madison Heights, and Oak Park [[and probably tons of places in Western Wayne and Downriver) will give you decent services and are somewhat better places to raise your kids.

Why all the talk about vouchers and Section 8? Lowell didn't say she had it, and if she did, she'd probably have said so - in fact, she probably woudn't be in the situation she's in, and would have found housing long ago. The section 8 eligiblity list is years long even if she's tried to apply.

She says she's low income - maybe she's in the working poor with no "safety net" assistance.

Lowell, I suggest you steer her to Southwest Housing Solutions in SW Detroit. They are a non-profit with a solid reputation and have staff that can work with her.

They have acquired and rehabbed several beautiful buildings, and manage them well. Phone number [[313) 841-3727, and website here.

Rents aren't even that much higher than in Detroit in places like Hazel Park, south Warren, and the close-in Downriver suburbs. Frankly, they're not as nice as they used to be but the school and crime situations are far better than Detroit, which is why a couple hundred thousand former Detroiters have moved there in the last 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    Why all the talk about vouchers and Section 8? .
    Because the question was worded as "low income" housing, which usually implies income-restricted housing.

If the individual is just looking for the cheapest possible non-subsidized housing, the answer is look in the worst possible neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    If the individual is just looking for the cheapest possible non-subsidized housing, the answer is look in the worst possible neighborhoods.
    Because only the poor have their housing subsidized. Pay no attention to those exurban subsidies behind the curtain.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    Why all the talk about vouchers and Section 8? Lowell didn't say she had it, and if she did, she'd probably have said so - in fact, she probably woudn't be in the situation she's in, and would have found housing long ago. The section 8 eligiblity list is years long even if she's tried to apply.

She says she's low income - maybe she's in the working poor with no "safety net" assistance.
    Mitt said the poor HAD a safety net.

There are lots of low-income housing in the metro-Detroit area. The best ones are in:

1. Dart Properties on Dequindre Rd south of 16 Mile [[ Big Beaver Rd) in Sterling Heights.

2. Hazel Crest Apts on John R. Rd. and Nine Mile Rd. in Hazel Park, MI.

3. Dearborn Housing Commission inside Dearborn City Hall on Michigan Ave and Schaefer HWY.

4. Farmington Place on Grand River Rd. west of Orchard Lake Rd in Farmington, MI.

6. Garden Place Apts. on Middlebelt Rd. north of Ford Rd. in Garden City, MI.

For further low-income housing log in lowincomehousing.us

Those best low-income housing apts. has a 5 to 7 year waiting list and you must call them every year to keep your name in. They will not remind you to call They will call you if they have a place for your and your family. You must have a higher than average credit points of 750. and no history of criminal activity. Anything lower than that credit point or have a history of default of debt, you will not get any subsidize home. Good luck.
    Last edited by Danny; May-01-13 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Because the question was worded as "low income" housing, which usually implies income-restricted housing.

Not sure then, what Lowell meant, but I took "low income" to mean affordable for this young woman.

It seems that she is already in the "cheapst possible non-subsidized housing" in the "worst possible neighborhoods".

That would be the problem, for which she is seeking help.

"Are there no prisons?'' asked Scrooge.
    "Plenty of prisons,'' said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.
    "And the Union workhouses?'' demanded Scrooge. "Are they still in operation?''
    "They are. Still,'' returned the gentleman, "I wish I could say they were not.''
    "The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?'' said Scrooge.
    "Both very busy, sir.''
    "Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course,'' said Scrooge. "I'm very glad to hear it.''
    "Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude,'' returned the gentleman, "a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?''
    "Nothing!'' Scrooge replied.
    "You wish to be anonymous?''
    "I wish to be left alone,'' said Scrooge. "Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at Christmas and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned: they cost enough: and those who are badly off must go there.''
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die.''
    "If they would rather die,'' said Scrooge, "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    "Are there no prisons?'' asked Scrooge.
    "Plenty of prisons,'' said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.
    "And the Union workhouses?'' demanded Scrooge. "Are they still in operation?''
    "They are. Still,'' returned the gentleman, "I wish I could say they were not.''
    "The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?'' said Scrooge.
    "Both very busy, sir.''
    "Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course,'' said Scrooge. "I'm very glad to hear it.''
    "Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude,'' returned the gentleman, "a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?''
    "Nothing!'' Scrooge replied.
    "You wish to be anonymous?''
    "I wish to be left alone,'' said Scrooge. "Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at Christmas and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned: they cost enough: and those who are badly off must go there.''
    "Many can't go there; and many would rather die.''
    "If they would rather die,'' said Scrooge, "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population."
    Multiple posts from you on this thread and yet not one wherein you even attempt to answer the woman's question.

Color me surprised.

16. Default

Perhaps I can defuse another city-suburb spat. The IP address of the message traced to a middle class suburb, which shall remain nameless, not the City of Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Perhaps I can defuse another city-suburb spat. The IP address of the message traced to a middle class suburb, which shall remain nameless, not the City of Detroit.
    Or, perhaps start one? Much to my surprise, [[seriously), a well to do friend, living in one of those evil, racist, "suburbs", was complaining about an acquaintance, and the amount of compensation she was receiving for having children out of wedlock. The acquaintance seems to have found loopholes in the Social Security system that allowed her to do so. In fact, according to him, this is a common practice, even in that neck of the woods. Maybe the OP should do some research and might find herself in less dire straights then she needs to be? I normally don't like posting 2nd hand information I personally haven't researched, but said friend is usually thorough, and I don't have an inkling to look into it myself. After all, the Lord helps those who help themselves. For the record, all parties in my tale are white, not that there's anything wrong with it.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; May-02-13 at 01:12 AM.

In the OP nowhere is it listed that the person seeking is a "she"
    or seeking accommodation with a voucher in hand,as that would set a price range .

Could it just be somebody looking for the best they could find and stay within thier budject without public assistance?