Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Seeking Recommendations for Trip to Chicago…

I’m planning a long weekend trip for my son and I to Chicago to catch a Cubs game. Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels within walking distance of Wrigley [[+/- five minutes or so). Also, we’re going to be taking the train, so we’ll be relying on public transportation. With that, are there any safety concerns with talking the ‘L’ in the evening from the Wrigleyville area to Downtown and back? If you have any other suggestions, or if you can think of anything that a 15 year-old teen would like to do, please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Here is an E-how tutorial on taking the El to Wrigley:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7205185_el-w...d-chicago.html

here is a link to a hostel in Lincoln Park, it is a neighborhood not a suburb, that is just south of Wrigleyville:
    http://www.getawayhostel.com/

a hostel is different from a hotel in a number of ways. One it is cheaper and two the vibe is completely different. If you are interested in meeting adventurous people from the world over, check out a hostel.

i have not stayed in this hostel, the one I used to frequent is now closed, but I have never had a bad experience at one of those places.

if hosteling is a bit of a freak out for you and you still want something cheaper than a hotel, I suggest the Margaretta in Evanston. It was a women's residential hotel back in the day, so the vibe there certainly is a bit different. Most of the rooms are on the European Plan meaning the bathroom is down the hall. If you can think back to college, the rooms are like that. Except there are no Mark Spitz posters on the walls. Breakfast is provided.

http://www.margaritainn.com/

Taking the El north is no problem. what you might notice is that the further north you go, the whiter the trains become. Are you taking the train, flying or driving? parking is very costly in Chicago, and I think the hotels add a parking fee. My habit is to go to New Buffalo and catch the train. not cheaper, but much less hassle.

THere's a best western less than a mile from wrigley. it's OK

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Here is an E-how tutorial on taking the El to Wrigley:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7205185_el-w...d-chicago.html

here is a link to a hostel in Lincoln Park, it is a neighborhood not a suburb, that is just south of Wrigleyville:
    http://www.getawayhostel.com/

a hostel is different from a hotel in a number of ways. One it is cheaper and two the vibe is completely different. If you are interested in meeting adventurous people from the world over, check out a hostel.

i have not stayed in this hostel, the one I used to frequent is now closed, but I have never had a bad experience at one of those places.

if hosteling is a bit of a freak out for you and you still want something cheaper than a hotel, I suggest the Margaretta in Evanston. It was a women's residential hotel back in the day, so the vibe there certainly is a bit different. Most of the rooms are on the European Plan meaning the bathroom is down the hall. If you can think back to college, the rooms are like that. Except there are no Mark Spitz posters on the walls. Breakfast is provided.

Thanks for the info and suggestions. Since I’ll be taking my son, I’ll likely pass on the Hostel, and shared bathroom type places.

I found these two hotels -- both seem nice and appear to be within walking distance of Wrigley. Do you know anything about these places?

http://www.chicagocitysuites.com/

http://www.majestic-chicago.com/

The Majestic [[above), is close to Lake Shore Drive and close to the Lincoln Park Zoona and park. Seems like a decent location.
    Last edited by AGinthe313; April-30-13 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Taking the El north is no problem. what you might notice is that the further north you go, the whiter the trains become. Are you taking the train, flying or driving? parking is very costly in Chicago, and I think the hotels add a parking fee. My habit is to go to New Buffalo and catch the train. not cheaper, but much less hassle.

We are taking the train from Detroit, we'll rely on the El and taxi [[if necessary), while we're there. Is the El generally safe between Lincoln Park and Downtown in the evenings? How about from LP to Evanston? I’d like to show my son N’western.

Sorry for all of the questions- it has been at least 20 years since I’ve been to Chicago.

The bathrooms are not unisex. At least I have never seen a unisex bathroom in a hostel and I have been using them for almost 40 years.

usually the sleeping rooms are segregated as well. If you go economy you will have bunk beds maybe six of them in a room. You can also get private sleeping accommodations, they are just a bit more expensive.

I recommend the hostel experience because it is a more convivial environment. You will meet people from all over the world and they sit around, play guitars, tell stories and jokes ... In contrast to a hotel where speaking to others is frowned upon.

i understand, and respect, your reluctance, but these hostels are exceedingly safe and well worth the investment. Especially with exposing your young charge to the world. It is fun to sit around with frenchies, Aussies, Germans and Japanese. Sharing is caring.

On the subject of safety on the El. Well, I have a daughter who lives downtown and uses the El every day all day. She is 26 yrs, 5' 4" and might be 110 lbs ... Far from being intimidating.

i do suggest you don't look like you are on vacation. No shorts with a big floppy hat and sandals. Don't flash a map around. If you need a map, make it as small as possible and when referring to it, one person needs to keep their head up and eyes peeled. Two schmoes with their noses buried in a 3ft. Sq map is a sure invitation for unwelcome attention.

My daughter went to Northwestern, hence the reason I stayed at Chicago B & Bs and hostels on the north side.

Any reference to Boystown means you are in a very gay friendly neighborhood.

i mention that as both of your links above refer to Boystown.

I happen to be very ok with all that stuff, but I did have a somewhat embarrassing experience when I went there with my daughter. Found a great parking spot, pulled in and when we got out of the car discovered we were directly in front of a sextoy store on a night when they were featuring custom dildo fittings.

needless to say, we did not take them up on their generous specials.

Gnome – I would totally be all for the hostels, I’m just not sure how my son would like it, he tends to like the bells and whistles. Actually I wasn’t so much concerned about unisex bathrooms as I am about him getting up in the middle of the night and leaving the bedroom to use a shared restroom.

As for the El, thank you for the info. My son and I like to use public transportation when we travel [[NYC, Boston, DC, ATL), so I just wanted to make sure the El is okay for us in the evening and night time hours. Like any other city with real public transit [[my jab at Detroit), I’ve found certain routes/lines and stations to be less family friendly, than others [[LOL).

Thanks again!

Any reference to Boystown means you are in a very gay friendly neighborhood.

i mention that as both of your links above refer to Boystown.

I happen to be very ok with all that stuff, but I did have a somewhat embarrassing experience when I went there with my daughter. Found a great parking spot, pulled in and when we got out of the car discovered we were directly in front of a sextoy store on a night when they were featuring custom dildo fittings.

needless to say, we did not take them up on their generous specials.
    Oh - I didn’t know that. Thanks! I'm not sure my son would dig that!

My daughter went to Northwestern, hence the reason I stayed at Chicago B & Bs and hostels on the north side.
    Ahh, ok.

I’m trying to convince my son to go out of state for college, so I try to visit at least one or two schools when we travel. I’m fighting an uphill battle with his Mom [[my ex), who is a Michigan grad. Nothing against U of M, but she’s hell-bent on sending him there. He’s a phenomenal student, so he’ll have options – I’d like him to explore those options. Little does she know…I think I have him sold on Pepperdine. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by AGinthe313 View Post
    Gnome – I would totally be all for the hostels, I’m just not sure how my son would like it, he tends to like the bells and whistles. Actually I wasn’t so much concerned about unisex bathrooms as I am about him getting up in the middle of the night and leaving the bedroom to use a shared restroom.

As for the El, thank you for the info. My son and I like to use public transportation when we travel [[NYC, Boston, DC, ATL), so I just wanted to make sure the El is okay for us in the evening and night time hours. Like any other city with real public transit [[my jab at Detroit), I’ve found certain routes/lines and stations to be less family friendly, than others [[LOL).

Thanks again!
    Well, 15 is almost a man so I think he will be protecting you more than you, him.

whatever you decide, you will have a wonderful time. Chicago is a wonderful town and if it wasn't for the parking insanity, I would move there for good.

my experiences have always been positive with the El. I cannot draw a comparison to DDOT without inviting another city vs suburbs catfight, so rest assured where you are going, you will have few problems.

now, you should know that the Cubs are not very good and their fans go to mainly drink. Drunkeness always breeds its own stupidity, so do not be surprised to see loutish behavior. Up in the bleachers boobs do get flashed with regularity.

another thing to look forward to.

Ahh, ok.

I’m trying to convince my son to go out of state for college, so I try to visit at least one or two schools when we travel. I’m fighting an uphill battle with his Mom [[my ex), who is a Michigan grad. Nothing against U of M, but she’s hell-bent on sending him there. He’s a phenomenal student, so he’ll have options – I’d like him to explore those options. Little does she know…I think I have him sold on Pepperdine. LOL!
    If he is a very good student, you might want to check out Kalamazoo College. They have a foreign study program where the students spend part of their schooling overseas. Hence, maybe you and your ex can both be happy. She gets the 'near-by' thing and you get the 'stretch-your-wings' thing.

my other daughter went to K.

Well, 15 is almost a man so I think he will be protecting you more than you, him.

whatever you decide, you will have a wonderful time. Chicago is a wonderful town and if it wasn't for the parking insanity, I would move there for good.

my experiences have always been positive with the El. I cannot draw a comparison to DDOT without inviting another city vs suburbs catfight, so rest assured where you are going, you will have few problems.

now, you should know that the Cubs are not very good and their fans go to mainly drink. Drunkeness always breeds its own stupidity, so do not be surprised to see loutish behavior. Up in the bleachers boobs do get flashed with regularity.

another thing to look forward to.
    You're probably right, he’s 6’2” [[and growing), and plays football – so when $hit goes down he’ll need to protect me. I picked the worst weekend for a Cubs game, as the Astros [[DisAstros) will be in town. Should make for some ugly baseball – but some great memories!

Thanks again!

You're probably right, he’s 6’2” [[and growing), and plays football – so when $hit goes down he’ll need to protect me. I picked the worst weekend for a Cubs game, as the Astros [[DisAstros) will be in town. Should make for some ugly baseball – but some great memories!

Thanks again!
    Games at Wrigley Field are an experience every baseball fan should have. The north part of Chicago is, for the most part, fairly good from a crime-rate perspective. Then again, I taught in some of NYC's worst neighborhoods in the 90s - Flatbush, Bed-Stuy, Red Hook, and never felt threatened or worried. Helped that in Red Hook there was a rumor that i was some sort of mob enforcer - gang members used to cross the street to avoid ME.

.... Helped that in Red Hook there was a rumor that i was some sort of mob enforcer - gang members used to cross the street to avoid ME.
    That’s funny! My first job out of college was performing field collections [[door knocking) for a collections company. Our territory covered the westside of Detroit and our company car was a basic dark blue Crown-Vic. I’m white and my partner was African American – we were both clean-cut, young and in decent shape, we looked like plain clothed cops. When we drove around the neighborhoods, people would yell “5-0” and run away.

Nothing screams cop like a plain blue Crown Vic

Curious about driving to New Buffalo then taking the train. Why not just take the train from Detroit? Is there a significant time saving?

more of a cost savings

Ag....Make sure you create a short travelogue of your adventure and fill us in on the experience.

...if hosteling is a bit of a freak out for you and you still want something cheaper than a hotel, I suggest the Margaretta in Evanston. It was a women's residential hotel back in the day, so the vibe there certainly is a bit different. Most of the rooms are on the European Plan meaning the bathroom is down the hall. If you can think back to college, the rooms are like that. Except there are no Mark Spitz posters on the walls. Breakfast is provided.
    We heartily endorse the Margarita European Inn!! We've stayed there several times on our Chicago trips and thoroughly enjoyed the experience!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    We heartily endorse the Margarita European Inn!! We've stayed there several times on our Chicago trips and thoroughly enjoyed the experience!!
    wouldn't that be a hoot to run into each other there? I always get a kick out of running into you at our favorite places.

You could try AirBnB - it lets you rent a room or an entire apartment or house from someone who isn't using it. We just used it to rent an entire apartment in a decent part of Brooklyn. $80/night - better than any regular bed & breakfast or hotel rate.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    You could try AirBnB - it lets you rent a room or an entire apartment or house from someone who isn't using it. We just used it to rent an entire apartment in a decent part of Brooklyn. $80/night - better than any regular bed & breakfast or hotel rate.
    Thanks. There are some nice properties on that site. I found a few prospects -- thanks again!

If you drive there is ample free parking on weekends a few blocks west of the magnificent mile area and you can hop on the Red Line at Division. Sometimes you can find cheap rates on Hotwire for Michigan Ave hotels but never park in their garages, that's where they make their money.

There's also a park and ride at Howard on the end of the Red line and Wrigley is 20 min ride south on the train. The garage says $4 for max 24 hours but ignore the signs. It's unlimited time and meant to prevent people from using the garage to abandon vehicles for months on end.

I don't know of any hotels close to walking distance to Wrigely. Maybe b&b's. There's a Best Western at the corner of Broadway, Clark, and Diversey that's is a really nice area with restaurants and shopping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast