Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default How Long Has it Been Since There Was a Bike Shop in Soutwest?

Does anyone know of any bike shops that once existed in Southwest Detroit? If so, where were they and how long ago did they go out of business?

I grew up in the Vernor-Springwells area in the 1960s and 1970s, I can't remember a bike shop in the hood. I went to Sears in Lincoln Park to buy my first bike, a Free Spirit 10-speed in 1977. I seem to remember buying inner tubes at Levitt's Hardware on Vernor or maybe the Ace on Springwells. Growing up, Vernor Highway seemed to have just about every store anyone would need, for groceries, jewelry, clothes - but a bike shop? I can't think of one.

Thanks for the little bit of history! I'm working with Urban Neighborhood Initiatives, a community development organization in the Vernor-Springwells area to open a non-profit bike shop in the neighborhood. Would it be alright if I share your story with the folks over here/post it on our facebook?

Quote Originally Posted by Hardhat View Post
    I grew up in the Vernor-Springwells area in the 1960s and 1970s, I can't remember a bike shop in the hood. I went to Sears in Lincoln Park to buy my first bike, a Free Spirit 10-speed in 1977. I seem to remember buying inner tubes at Levitt's Hardware on Vernor or maybe the Ace on Springwells. Growing up, Vernor Highway seemed to have just about every store anyone would need, for groceries, jewelry, clothes - but a bike shop? I can't think of one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardhat View Post
    How about Bills Bike Shop, [[Lock and Key), around Fort and Lawndale? Western Auto, around Fort and Cavalry? Though they weren't Bike Nashbar, I remember buying tires, tubes, handle bar grips, and what not there. The biggest one I remember, is Al Petri and Sons, [[Schwin Shop), Fort St., just East of Southfield. Technically that's Lincoln Park, and not Detroit, but it is Southwest. There was also a variety/merchandise store on Fort and Livernois, but it's name escapes me. It got so big, the had to open a 2nd location on Lafayette and Livernois.

Honky Tonk, are you thinking of the Lafayette market? It was first on Dragoon and Lafayette and then they opened a second store just for merchandise over on Fort, don't remembeer them being in the bike business. I thought there was
    a Western Auto on Vernor between Central and Green. I remember getting their fliers just before Christmas and wanting one of the bicycles every year.

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    Honky Tonk, are you thinking of the Lafayette market? It was first on Dragoon and Lafayette and then they opened a second store just for merchandise over on Fort, don't remembeer them being in the bike business. I thought there was
    a Western Auto on Vernor between Central and Green. I remember getting their fliers just before Christmas and wanting one of the bicycles every year.
    Lafayette Market may have been it. I do remember bikes in there, because my Dad and I looked @ Western Auto, then there. There was a Western Auto on Fort, for sure. Since you know the area, one day we'll discuss Jupiters.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jonfen View Post
    Thanks for the little bit of history! I'm working with Urban Neighborhood Initiatives, a community development organization in the Vernor-Springwells area to open a non-profit bike shop in the neighborhood. Would it be alright if I share your story with the folks over here/post it on our facebook?
    ^^No problem!^^

I think the store on Lafayette was called "Lafayette Sales" or at least that's what we called it. My memory of them is as more of a consumer electronics store, but I guess they could have had bikes. I didn't go in there much.
    I'd have to agree that Al Petri's store in Lincoln Park was about the closest traditional bike shop to Southwest Detroit. I think they did repairs, too.