Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Bears [[four legged-type) in Detroit?...

A former Detroiter said she heard recently that a bear was spotted in Detroit. I said that I heard of coyotes being seen in or near Detroit, but not of bears.

Bears have been seen in the suburbs of New York City, but what about Detroit? If not in Detroit [[City of), what about in northern Oakland and Macomb counties and St. Clair County?

I heard a report of a bear in Rochester Hills last Fall near Dequindre & 21 Mile Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    A former Detroiter said she heard recently that a bear was spotted in Detroit.
    Did she hear it from her cousin's friend's mother's neighbor's son's co-worker?

I know bear have been seen in Dexter and down in Rockwood.

It was said on the news the other day. It was not a news story it was just said cant remember what ch. I think someone repeated what was on TV.
    Last edited by black gold man; April-28-13 at 06:25 PM.

I saw a bear once on Belle Isle. It was in a tree. I was at the zoo and looked into the bear pit but there was no bear there. On a lark I looked up and there it was!

There's going to be a whole bunch of bears downtown on Sept 29th.

Some of these women I've seen around here can qualify as one.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; April-29-13 at 09:49 AM.

one never knows.. the way that many of Detroit'sneighborhoods are slowly [[and haphazardly) being returned to nature, any numberof animals normally associated with rural areas are showing up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Some of these women I've seen around here can qualify as one.
    Glad you're NOT in Detroit!

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    Did she hear it from her cousin's friend's mother's neighbor's son's co-worker?
    Yes... that's right... the same reliable source that said Somerset Mall was going under!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Yes... that's right... the same reliable source that said Somerset Mall was going under!!
    It IS! Bears are breaking into people's cars and taking their pic-i-nic baskets!

There are beavers in Detroit, maybe they mistook a beaver for a bear?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    There are beavers in Detroit, maybe they mistook a beaver for a bear?
    Which one has a flat tail, beaver or bear?

There bears in Palmer Park along with wild crackheads, too. Urban stories, they make me laugh.

Is it just me me or are three out of five people full of shit with another being dubious and the other being quasi-believable? What about white tail deer inside Detroit city limits?
    I was told a coyote family set up shop in Lochmoor Country Club golf course in Grosse Pointe Woods.

..and the pack Jumped the Poor Bear for being "Nouveau Riche"

White Tail deer are in the Rouge Valley. You will see them all over the west side in the parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Publican View Post
    Is it just me me or are three out of five people full of shit with another being dubious and the other being quasi-believable? What about white tail deer inside Detroit city limits?
    I was told a coyote family set up shop in Lochmoor Country Club golf course in Grosse Pointe Woods.
    A few years back I saw an animal control van loading what I thought was a large tan dog right at 75 & the Davison. When I got closer, I saw that the "dog" had hooves

Somebody call Stephen Colbert. This is a Threat Down!

I have seen fox, white tail deer, coyote, and pheasant within the city limits. There are coyote close to the downtown area. There was one caught on camera a few years ago. They look so much like a regular canine, but there are some differences. I have seen them in the wild, and I'm pretty sure I saw one in SW Detroit last year.

A bear would surprise me though. They aren't as "stealthy" as other species.

We had a raccoon in our back yard in Hamtramck. And many possum. We've since turn the yard into a standard green desert. Took out all the trees and bushes so nothing can live there now.