Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Statue of Little Water Girl

Around 1917, the WCTU commissioned the sculpting of a statue of a young girl cathing rain in a small bucket. This was done to honor Lilian Ames Stevens who was the second president of the WCTU and a leading suffergette. Four copies of the statue were
    commissioned. The WCTU then gave copikes to organizations in Chicago, Detroit, London England and Portland Maine. The one in Portland was recent reinstalled in a park adjoining that city's library.
    Does anyone know of a WCTU statue of a little girl catching rain in the city of Detroit? Thank you very much.

Inside the conservatory on Belle Isle.

Last edited by Detroit_uke; April-25-13 at 06:56 PM.

Thanks Detroit_uke for the link. I like the war monuments, and I am pleasantly surprised that there are no graffitti on the statues in this portfolio.

@canuck......knock on wood...please let there be no graffitti!!!!

Lovely...

Name:  1917 Temperence - Belle Isle - Copy.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  38.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    Thanks Detroit_uke for the link. I like the war monuments, and I am pleasantly surprised that there are no graffitti on the statues in this portfolio.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    You know, it's funny; I was surprised that there was a question about graffitti on Belle Isle statues. I forget that people are often posting from afar.

Although it is not what it was, back in the day, Belle Isle is actually still quite beautiful, with little of the graffitti and purposeful destruction that is in some parts of the city, contrary to what folks think who haven't been there in decades, or ever.

When I was there at the end of the season last year, sitting at the western tip of the island on a beautiful day in the fall, though there were a lot of unraked autumn leaves - which was of course, lovely - there was not one bit of litter, trash or paper on the grass, as far as my eyes could see.

...and no graffitti.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    You know, it's funny; I was surprised that there was a question about graffitti on Belle Isle statues. I forget that people are often posting from afar.

Although it is not what it was, back in the day, Belle Isle is actually still quite beautiful, with little of the graffitti and purposeful destruction that is in some parts of the city, contrary to what folks think who haven't been there in decades, or ever.

When I was there at the end of the season last year, sitting at the western tip of the island on a beautiful day in the fall, though there were a lot of unraked autumn leaves - which was of course, lovely - there was not one bit of litter, trash or paper on the grass, as far as my eyes could see.

...and no graffitti.

Yes, that is pleasant all right. I only mention this because unfortunately, a lot of monumental sculpture or architecture in my city is vandalized repetitively.
    Montreal has lost a lot of its gloss to the spraycan enthusiasts.

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post

...and no graffitti.
    Try the closed Belle Isle zoo if you want to see graffitti, I mean "art". You haven't been able to see or get to the Western part of the island for months now because of Penske's concrete GP barriers. And it'll be months before they all come down.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Try the closed Belle Isle zoo if you want to see graffitti, I mean "art". You haven't been able to see or get to the Western part of the island for months now because of Penske's concrete GP barriers. And it'll be months before they all come down.

and I thought you were no longer going to doubt me....

Well, I guess that's why I didn't see any of it......