Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: Gold Cup 2009

Default Gold Cup 2009

Loved the roar of the Rolls and Allisons back when that would reverberate many miles away into the neighborhood. The turbos are different. If I were in the area, I'd go. What are the memories and reception/perception of the Gold Cup today?

Thought this was a soccer thread.

Jean Theoret took a pasting in Madison last weekend when he hooked the U-37 coming out of the first turn in heat 1-B. He said from his hospital bed that they hope to have both the boat and himself put back together in time for the Gold Cup......

Great event, glad they were able to keep it going. Wish we still had the Formula 1 cars on the downtown street circuit, that was a loud roar, too.

Always a good time, and a fine eastside tradition. Still remember the excitement of the morning every summer when I woke up and heard the sound of the boats reverberating up from the river. Would rush down on my bike to watch them practice. I've worked on the race in the past and am grateful for all of the people who volunteer to make it happen. It's too bad though that the sport itself has been so unprofessionally managaed and is in such bad shape.

Used to work with a guy in the '60s who had a membership in the seaplane club right next to the starter's stand. He would take me with him, and we would spend the day watching the action in our lawn chairs by the water's edge. Great viewing when the big, loud piston boats came racing by the shore. Unfortunately I had the bad luck to witness Colonel Warner Gardner's death as he flipped going into the roostertail turn in '68.

Quote Originally Posted by douglasm View Post
    Jean Theoret took a pasting in Madison last weekend when he hooked the U-37 coming out of the first turn in heat 1-B. He said from his hospital bed that they hope to have both the boat and himself put back together in time for the Gold Cup......
    That was scary ... I daytipped to Madison [[I live in Cinci) for the races Saturday and saw that. Boats [[obviously) should not go airborne.

Racers and hockey players! No matter what happens, they want to come back right away.

Madison's a real pretty town and worth a visit if anybody's ever in Southern Indiana.

Show on the River. July 10th, 11th, and 12th.