Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Vinton Building To Be Residential with Ground Floor Retail

Just uploaded to the Bedrock website.

"Plans call for the restoration and renovation of the Vinton Building with street-level retail space and residential units above."

This is a wise decision by Gilbert. While I'm sure more office space for his portfolio of companies is needed, what Downtown needs most is residential. Anyone remember how many apartments were in the plan from before the recession?

http://bedrockmgt.com/properties/specs.php?id=29

Deja vu all over again. Great news nonetheless.

Didn't I see this movie already?

Quote Originally Posted by ccal View Post
    Yes, but this time there are deep pockets.

It's all part of Dan Gilbert's plan to create Gilberttown in Downtown Detroit. He even has its own public shuttle bus transportation.

Now I'm waiting to see if Dan Gilbert buy Compuware and its WHQ building so he can call it Omni Consumer Products. Then bring the Cavaliers Basketball Team to Detroit. After that he would own the Carolina Hurricanes to Detroit and call it The Detroit Hurons. Next he would buy the Masonic Temple and bring some real Broadway shows in. Some Dan Gilbert's Delta City plan will come true.
    Last edited by Danny; April-25-13 at 12:51 PM.

This time around Kwame Kilpatrick and Bobby Ferguson aren't involved. It's much easier to get things done when you don't a criminal enterprise working against you.

Cool......a reboot.
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Yes, but this time there are deep pockets.

Cool......a reboot.
    Got to be immensely frustrating for the folks that tried to do this very thing to see that after they were totally conned and destroyed... Gilbert comes in an does exactly what they were trying to do.

especially when one considers how much direct assistance Gilbert gave Kwame.

Exactly why I've asked our savior to add a little 'on top' of the mortgage and throw these guys a few hundred grand bone or two.

We can pretty much bet on the fact this time is for real. What a handsome building this is, I dont get the same emotional response looking at post war buildings, this is the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintoid View Post
    Anyone remember how many apartments were in the plan from before the recession?
    The previous project was for one residential condominium unit per floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Next he would buy the Masonic Temple and bring some real Broadway shows in.
    Broadway - Nederlander - Detroit

Can't imagine a closer connection.

Quote Originally Posted by erikd View Post
    This time around Kwame Kilpatrick and Bobby Ferguson aren't involved. It's much easier to get things done when you don't a criminal enterprise working against you.
    It's a good thing that Coleman A Young isn't envolved in this project or he would say this to Dan Gilbert. " Get that white Mother------ out of city business. I will call the shots!"

Maybe I'm talking out of my butt here but is it wise to pin the hopes of Detroit's revival on one individual, particularly when that individual is involved in the chicanery that's better known as the mortgage and loan business? I'm not implying that Gilbert is anything but an honest businessman but have we forgotten the financial meltdown of 2008?

Quote Originally Posted by hortonz View Post
    Maybe I'm talking out of my butt here but is it wise to pin the hopes of Detroit's revival on one individual, particularly when that individual is involved in the chicanery that's better known as the mortgage and loan business? I'm not implying that Gilbert is anything but an honest businessman but have we forgotten the financial meltdown of 2008?
    tons of non-gilbert projects going on irght now.

And outside of all the non-Gilbert projects... Quicken is just his biggest company. He's very diversified into many other things. Sports, Real Estate, Gambling, Business Start Ups, etc.

I don't think anyone is pinning the hopes of Detroit's revival on one individual.

Quote Originally Posted by hortonz View Post

Default Gilbert++++++

Quote Originally Posted by rjlj View Post
    I don't think anyone is pinning the hopes of Detroit's revival on one individual.
    Absolutely true: we cannot pin it on "one individual". There are also Illitch, Karmanos, GM, Blue Cross/Blue Shield, DMC, and many others. But to deny that Gilbert is the prime mover is to be the proverbial ostrich!

The Vinton seems to finally be moving forward.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...-roof-deck.php

I'm curious about the buildings between the Vinton and the First National. Does anyone know if the upper floors are utilized?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    The Vinton seems to finally be moving forward.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...-roof-deck.php

I'm curious about the buildings between the Vinton and the First National. Does anyone know if the upper floors are utilized?
    The two immediately left are not owned by Dan. Motor City Wine bar was above Grand Trunk until, I believe, last year when they moved. I don't believe anything replaced it.

Pretty sure Dan's buildings are empty upstairs but there is a reno going on in the building adjacent to First National.

Next door to the two structures mentioned in the last post and also owned by Bedrock, are a group of very old brick buildings, painted an unflattering brown. This block sure would benefit with the addition of a replacement cornice, awnings, a better color combination and outdoor planters/window boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shai_Hulud View Post
    The two immediately left are not owned by Dan. Motor City Wine bar was above Grand Trunk until, I believe, last year when they moved. I don't believe anything replaced it.

Pretty sure Dan's buildings are empty upstairs but there is a reno going on in the building adjacent to First National.
    The Whisky Parlor has replaced Motor City Wine. I believe it is the same owners as Grand Trunk.