Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Oval Track at Southfield Road and Ford Freeway

The aerial map attached, is that of the Southfield Road and Ford Freeway intersections. CIRCA 1952

To the right mid way down, you'll see an oval track.

I would like to know is anyone knows what this was at one time, a car racing track, or horse racing track?

Thanks for any and all response.
    Name:  Oval Track c.1952.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  43.0 KB
    Last edited by highjinx2; April-25-13 at 10:56 AM.

It was a cesspool.

Do you know what year the photo is from?

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    It was a cesspool.
    Doesn't look like Midtown to me...

It's too irregular to be a race track. I'd put money on it being an excavation pile

The buildings just to South look like they may have been a farm house and some out buildings. Possibly just a private horse riding area for the farm owner? They are somewhat common out here around Milford, but they rarely leave the grass area in the middle anymore.

it was a cesspool.
    omg........

It's where they used to hold City Council meetings. The imprint you see indicates that they never got anywhere, they just kept going in circles. Eventually they had to give the property back.

try Nick with Village of Fairview. knows lots of info on horsetracks

That is not a track... it actually is closer to a cesspool!

The interchange appears to be only a few years old. In the early years of freeway construction they would create borrow pits near freeway interchanges where they had to build up grades. That classy place Heath Beach is a borrow pit. Some borrow pits were modest in size. I suspect that this is a one of those that was eventually filled in with other stuff.

What a crazy intersection.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    What a crazy intersection.
    Yeah, that is the original one with the exits and entries from the speed lane...it was idiotic from the very beginning, but apparently had to go through its lifecycle before they replaced it.

I think it took the negative-accelerating Chevettes and Pintos to force the issue...that used to be quite dangerous. Telegraph's interchange, too, had the same crap, if I remember right.

They finally removed the left-exit for Grand Boulevard, too. Only one remaining is the Lodge now...and that second Gratiot exit in the far NE.

I think it's too close to the train tracks to be any kind of race or horse track, or even running track. I'd agree with DetroitPlanner.

Quote Originally Posted by mallory View Post
    I think it's too close to the train tracks to be any kind of race or horse track, or even running track. I'd agree with DetroitPlanner.
    Could this be the Dahlinger Estate in Dearborn?

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    I tried to find when they built the Allen Park police station, which doesn't seem to be in this image. Nothing along that stretch was built yet. Heck, the subdivision that ends at the SE corner of Outer Drive is not even half-full!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    Could this be the Dahlinger Estate in Dearborn?
    Everything on that side of I-94 is Allen Park, including the land east of the Southfield Freeway on the other side...maybe even up to Oakwood!

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    It says 1952

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    That is not a track... it actually is closer to a cesspool!

The interchange appears to be only a few years old. In the early years of freeway construction they would create borrow pits near freeway interchanges where they had to build up grades. That classy place Heath Beach is a borrow pit. Some borrow pits were modest in size. I suspect that this is a one of those that was eventually filled in with other stuff.
    See!!!!!!!!!

See!!!!!!!!!
    I'm humbled..... I'll never doubt you again......

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'm humbled..... I'll never doubt you again......

[[dang! I have to have at least 10 characters)

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Everything on that side of I-94 is Allen Park, including the land east of the Southfield Freeway on the other side...maybe even up to Oakwood!
    Actually, there is a part of Allen Park that kind of shoehorns in up to Rotunda. There's this little slice of it that follows along Fairlane Dr. primarily that is bordered by Southfield on the west, Rotunda on the north, & the Rouge River on the east. This is the area where there are many Ford offices [[most are vacant now) and the Lions' training facility is located.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Yeah, that is the original one with the exits and entries from the speed lane...it was idiotic from the very beginning, but apparently had to go through its lifecycle before they replaced it.

I think it took the negative-accelerating Chevettes and Pintos to force the issue...that used to be quite dangerous. Telegraph's interchange, too, had the same crap, if I remember right.

They finally removed the left-exit for Grand Boulevard, too. Only one remaining is the Lodge now...and that second Gratiot exit in the far NE.
    As I type, they're working on the Gratiot exit in Roseville now. I don't know if they're removing it though.

It would be a shame if they did. It's a very convenient exit that merges into the right lane on Gratiot that easily gets one from the lower east side/downtown to/from all of those shopping malls and restaurants along Gratiot [[versus having to use the Little Mack or the 12 Mile/I-696 exits.

The Allen Park police station moved to that location about 1974. It was Gilead Baptist church. I think the church was built in the late 50's or very early 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    Actually, there is a part of Allen Park that kind of shoehorns in up to Rotunda. There's this little slice of it that follows along Fairlane Dr. primarily that is bordered by Southfield on the west, Rotunda on the north, & the Rouge River on the east. This is the area where there are many Ford offices [[most are vacant now) and the Lions' training facility is located.
    That explains the Allen Park police presence there then...they have to protect their northern border! Maybe now with Allen Park's economic distraction, Dearborn can finally conquer that land!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast