Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Washington-based Digital Marketing Firm to open offices in RenCen, hire 150

Here's some great news for Detroit, and it's even an outside company, not just displacement

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2.../BIZ/304240444

At least people can still complain about tax incentives since they can't complain about the company just displacing jobs from the suburbs to the city.

Ha! I was thinking it would've been nice to get them without the abatement, but I'm not worked up about it. Outside businesses are key to this region's recovery.

The company ... chose to locate in Detroit over locations in suburban Chicago and Seattle, where ADP Digital Marketing is based.
    Pretty key.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Ha! I was thinking it would've been nice to get them without the abatement, but I'm not worked up about it. Outside businesses are key to this region's recovery.
    ADP, eh? Maybe they could send a salesperson over to the COD Payroll Department.

Shollin Guest

150 new jobs from an out of state company is progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    150 new jobs from an out of state company is progress.
    What just happened here?!?

I don't understand why they would have moved in the city with tons of better options. Now the people that work there are going to have to drive hundreds of miles, battle gun fire and pay income tax. They're better off not submitting their resume for a job there in the first place

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    What just happened here?!?
    In the Campbell Ewald thread I stated very clearly I supported firms from out of state adding new jobs to Detroit.

In the Campbell Ewald thread I stated very clearly I supported firms from out of state adding new jobs to Detroit.
    Just because one supports the movements of jobs from the suburbs to the city doesn't mean they don't also support jobs from out of state moving to the city.

That said, either way you flip it, a region where the jobs are centralized in one area is much healthier in the long term than a region where they're sprawled every which way.

I'm not sure why that's so hard for you [[and a few others) to understand.
    Last edited by 313WX; April-24-13 at 04:39 PM.

I know, I remember, I'm just messing around.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Just because one supports the movements of jobs from the suburbs to the city doesn't mean they don't also support jobs from out of state moving to the city.

That said, either way you flip it, a region where the jobs are centralized in one area is much healthier in the long term than a region where they're sprawled every which way.

I'm not sure why that's so hard for you [[and a few others) to understand.
    I have no problem with downtown Detroit being a core for jobs. However just taking jobs that have been established in the suburbs and moving them downtown without creating a single new job does not help the region. Adding new jobs to a centralized core does.

I have no problem with downtown Detroit being a core for jobs. However just taking jobs that have been established in the suburbs and moving them downtown without creating a single new job does not help the region. Adding new jobs to a centralized core does.
    It does the help region, the moving these suburban has clearly helped the downtown core in big way and that reflects positively on the entire region. Since the image of a city's downtown generally defines the region to outsiders more than it's suburbs. Those suburban jobs have made downtown and ultimately the region more attractive to outside investment like this, which we all agree is the real key to bringing back the city.