Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Orr says city needs an auditor to make sure grant money gets spent.

The EM may have been jammed down Detroiters throats like a scene out of OZ, but when you're right you're right.

This is not on the council, the citizenry, the union worker or anyone else. This lies completely on that lost looking Muppet Dave Bing.

All you hade to was SPEND MONEY, that is it. And you failed to accomplish that.

Does he have kids? He might want to get a DNA test as impotent as he's shown himself to be.

I'm all for this. They need someone who is competent to go in there and manage this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    The EM may have been jammed down Detroiters throats like a scene out of OZ, but when you're right you're right.

This is not on the council, the citizenry, the union worker or anyone else. This lies completely on that lost looking Muppet Dave Bing.

All you hade to was SPEND MONEY, that is it. And you failed to accomplish that.

Does he have kids? He might want to get a DNA test as impotent as he's shown himself to be.
    You've read where the City had to return funds granted by the Feds to knock down derelict buildings, and in another case, return money to clothe people for the work force. I know you don't like the EFM, Brizee, but he DOES have a point. Evertime I read another story where someone has been raped, shot, bought drugs, or a body found in an abandoned building, I wonder why this structure is still standing in the middle of the neighborhood? Handing out money is one thing, making sure it actually gets spent what it's allotted for is another.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    You've read where the City had to return funds granted by the Feds to knock down derelict buildings, and in another case, return money to clothe people for the work force. I know you don't like the EFM, Brizee, but he DOES have a point. Evertime I read another story where someone has been raped, shot, bought drugs, or a body found in an abandoned building, I wonder why this structure is still standing in the middle of the neighborhood? Handing out money is one thing, making sure it actually gets spent what it's allotted for is another.
    I was agreeing with him.

And though I think the entire way this went down is complete and utter horseshit, I think my posting history proves I'm capable of giving credit where it's due.

PS. Did anyone see the article about Bing being blindsided by SEMCOG taking money from DDOT? This guy really needs to just go sit down somewhere, because I'm getting tired of insulting him.

i agree. No excuse for giving back grant money.

THANK YOU ORR, We needed your guidance to make sure the bruster projects get torn down, The State fair grounds gets developed correctly, Belle Ille turns into a state park,

Unfortunately Orr can rearrange the numbers and get the books in the best order possible but we need to address the crime issue and the mental health issue in Detroit. Until the crime issue is addressed, the city will fall back into the same mode that it's always been.

We need drug intervention programs, inpatient/out patient drug rehab, mental health facilities, we need the probation officers to tighten up, we need non-skilled good paying jobs, homeless shelters, a reformed educational system, we need religious institutions to get involved etc. Basically Detroit needs strong social programs to step-up and the funding for it.

No different than every other big city but like Orr stated, it's going to be tough because Detroit is at least two economic cycles behind the rest of the country and the world. Time is of the essence and we don't have time to fail again. We might not have another chance.

I hope the city/state addresses the social ills of the city because without fixing these problems, people are not going to want to move to a city that's still a dangerous place to live.

I can stand with Orr on this.

Only idiots [[and yes, if the shoe fits...) would let free money go unspent.

I always wondered about the concept of tearing buildings down based on the possiablity of someone getting killed in them,or raped , it happens.

So after the building gets razed and if it is an empty lot and somebody gets killed or dumped there , what then ? Is it possiable to spend millions to create a black hole where the lot was?

What would be easier when disposing of a body ? Roll them out of a trunk onto a overgrown vacant lot , quick and easy , or stop the car use a another helper open the trunk carry a body up the sidewalk,across a porch, through the doorway , which through no expirence of mine but that would seem risky and time consuming.

For that matter you have a big river and concrete , of course you could always drain the river and that would solve that part .

I know it sounds morbid but useing the statement of tearing down houses and such because they find bodies does make for a nice scary reasoning,good thing they never find bodies in cars.

The city of Detroit already had a office for grants and how they were distributed so where is this new brainstorm comming from, and who was running the office before and why were they getting paid ?

I guess it is proably better for those who profited from the past to walk now while the free card is there because investigations would slow everything down to a crawl.

I'd want an auditor to make sure the money isn't stolen by someone in office.

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I always wondered about the concept of tearing buildings down based on the possiablity of someone getting killed in them,or raped , it happens.

So after the building gets razed and if it is an empty lot and somebody gets killed or dumped there , what then ? Is it possiable to spend millions to create a black hole where the lot was?

What would be easier when disposing of a body ? Roll them out of a trunk onto a overgrown vacant lot , quick and easy , or stop the car use a another helper open the trunk carry a body up the sidewalk,across a porch, through the doorway , which through no expirence of mine but that would seem risky and time consuming.

For that matter you have a big river and concrete , of course you could always drain the river and that would solve that part .

I know it sounds morbid but useing the statement of tearing down houses and such because they find bodies does make for a nice scary reasoning,good thing they never find bodies in cars.

The city of Detroit already had a office for grants and how they were distributed so where is this new brainstorm comming from, and who was running the office before and why were they getting paid ?

I guess it is proably better for those who profited from the past to walk now while the free card is there because investigations would slow everything down to a crawl.
    I agree. My aunt lives in a vacant block and they have found more than one body left in a vacant lot. I'm no criminal but I imagine when someone decides to kill someone, where they dispose of the body is not something that is considered in the decision process. Usually it's shoot now, worry about the body later. I would rather have something aimed at getting people to want to live in the neighborhood and attract investors who will buy the vacant houses and redevelopment the lot.

Did not the City announce the appointment of a new auditor general just prior to naming Orr as EFM. Will have to double check this.

Quote Originally Posted by Shollin View Post
    I agree. My aunt lives in a vacant block and they have found more than one body left in a vacant lot. I'm no criminal but I imagine when someone decides to kill someone, where they dispose of the body is not something that is considered in the decision process. Usually it's shoot now, worry about the body later. I would rather have something aimed at getting people to want to live in the neighborhood and attract investors who will buy the vacant houses and redevelopment the lot.
    Yeah, both of you guys are right. Since tearing down burned, decrepit, houses is showing no effect on the overall crime, let's not do it. I know! How about a new coffee house in Midtown? We give everyone tax $s to buy the property and drink latte's there. Eventually, business will be SO overwhelming, it'll naturally make Detroit neighborhoods a better place to live.