Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Party Stores 'Fun' w Social Media: Racial Slurs, Photos. Later Apologies...

Black customer photos with racist remarks posted on social media

Some Detroit party store customers were horrified to see their pictures on social media sites with racist comments. They called Fox 2 looking for answers.

People who think racism is wrong and disgraceful will be disgusted and sickened by this. Cell phone pictures were taken of black customers who did not know they were being disrespected, and some of them were kids.

See video for details

I hope no one takes this into account that it happens at every small business in the city. Really unfortunate and immature of these idiots to do this, my family has owned stores in the city for almost thirty years now and have never done anything remotely close to this. Nor do we even tolerate it. Hopefully when I'm home from Ann Arbor this summer I don't hear this from customers & it get generalized by city residents.

That's what you get when you refuse to support your community/local neighborhood.

Treat their own like dirt, and trip over themselves to rub elbows with people who'd sooner see them dissolve into thin air than treat them with respect as neighbors and fellow human beings.

Modern black people deserve every indignity they allow this country/state/region to put on them.

Thanks so much for raising the level of this discussion brizee.

I don't believe the "My son's account was hacked" excuse for a second. The idiot has the right to say stupid things, but he also should realize that they come with consequences. If these were my friends and family in the pics I would be out front picketing until the son publicly apologized at the very least and probably would not step foot into the place again unless he was fired.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; April-24-13 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I don't believe the "My son's account was hacked" excuse for a second. The idiot has the right to say stupid things, but he also should realize that they come with consequences. If these were my friends and family in the pics I would be out front picketing until the son publicly apologized at the very least and probably would not step foot into the place again unless he was fired.

Supposedly the father fired him....

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit Stylin View Post
    Supposedly the father fired him....
    Until this blows over then he'll be back. In the meantime I'm sure pops it keeping money in his son's pockets. People can bitch about the patrons at some of these stores but I have found that the owners [[certainly not all but a lot) are worse. I've known people who've owned a few stores like this and the contempt they have for their customers is appaling

While racist comments might be out of bound, taking humiliating pictures of customers in their worst light and posting it on the innertubz has a long and glorious history. Check "People of Walmart" sometime where cellphone photographers take embarrassing pictures of trailer park trash and post them on the innertubz.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Until this blows over then he'll be back. In the meantime I'm sure pops it keeping money in his son's pockets. People can bitch about the patrons at some of these stores but I have found that the owners [[certainly not all but a lot) are worse. I've known people who've owned a few stores like this and the contempt they have for their customers is appaling
    The state of the vast majority of the stores is even worse. I can barely stomach going into my corner party store, which sucks because it's only like 5 houses away. What really gets me is the places that let open-air drug dealing happen outside or even inside.

It works both ways. If you create a decent, clean environment with halfway decent product in your stores then you will attract halfway decent people.

This isn't Faces of Wal-Mart. That's customers taking pictures of other customers. These are the very people who own/run the stores taking pictures of unsuspecting customers, who they are making a living off of. This is all besides the fact that these are human beings who you would think deserve respect as such.

And really, as Chaldeans, they're a minority too. In Iraq, a very persecuted minority, and here I'm sure they face discrimination and distrust from others as well. Yet it's cool to be racist, so long as it's the other guy? Have a little self-awareness, at least.

As long as people in Detroit patronize businesses owned and operated by racist jerks the business owners will be laughing all the way to the bank. You have a choice where you can spend your money.

I must agree with that. That seems to be the case since people's memories seem to get shorter and shorter...

I put in the first reply a bit ago regarding this issue. Since I am Chaldean and my family owns stores in the city. I cannot speak for every one only for myself and my family that at our stores we do not tolerate anything illegal to take place inside or outside of our businesses and that we keep our businesses cleaner then most bars/etc. downtown. Especially treating everyone with respect. I feel ashamed.

No doubt there are good places. I'm curious, when someone in the black or Muslim community does something stupid the general public seems to insist that the respective community must do something about it or publicly denounce the actions of the few.

Why doesn't it apply here? Why isn't anyone insisting that the owners of the other stored in the city speak out against their peers and insist this is not acceptable behaviour? Is there perhaps a double standard at play?

Horendeous stupid and act of hatred! That should be charged with THOUGHTCRIME! However this is America and he's, protected under the 2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. That former Arab party store employee had to be extremely cautious while dealing with certian ethnic people in their community. Especially doing business in the black community! He and his family who runs a business could get beaten up, shot or possibly dead. Even his business getting burn down.

No doubt there are good places. I'm curious, when someone in the black or Muslim community does something stupid the general public seems to insist that the respective community must do something about it or publicly denounce the actions of the few.

Why doesn't it apply here? Why isn't anyone insisting that the owners of the other stored in the city speak out against their peers and insist this is not acceptable behaviour? Is there perhaps a double standard at play?

I don't think that's the case. I think the "double standard" is more of a reaction to those that irrationally defend someone just because they happen to share the same ethnic background or race [[That's the exact opposite of what umbound is doing here.)

Umbound, you do not share any blame for the actions of this idiot, nor should you feel any shame just because he happens to belong to the same ethnic group. The racist comments this guy made are his own.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; April-24-13 at 01:06 PM.

I agree and I certainly was not trying to blame Umbound or his family. I am speaking about the fact if something happens in the black or muslim community, the expectations now, is that the community should apologize and condemn the actions of the ignorant few.

Why does this seem to only come up for specific minority groups?

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Modern black people deserve every indignity they allow this country/state/region to put on them.
    Wow, that is a really sh*tty thing to say.

That's basically implying that someone has control over what everyone else in the country/state/region is doing, and if you fail to satisfactorily control them, it's your fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    Umbound, you do not share any blame for the actions of this idiot, nor should you feel any shame just because he happens to belong to the same ethnic group. The racist comments this guy made are his own.
    I agree 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    Wow, that is a really sh*tty thing to say.

That's basically implying that someone has control over what everyone else in the country/state/region is doing, and if you fail to satisfactorily control them, it's your fault.
    I'm black and spent my entire life in Detroit.

I just want us to do better.

When I see we treat each other/our community like absolute shit but go out of our way to clean up our act for others, it drives me nuts.

We won't start our own businesses, and those here we won't patron.

When business does get created it's ghetto bullshit and customers get treated like dirt. Or the customers act like dirt.

What is it Detroiters annually spend in the suburbs 1.3 billion or 130 million? That is tremendous power but we refuse to use it it. We won't vote except with the threat of an EFM over our heads. There is no reason we should have to beg anyone for sevice, products, or jobs.

I had a conversation with my father recently. He stated if every grocery store in the state adopted a no black customers rule, Detroit would starve in a week.

I'm tirerd of us standing with hat in hand wishing for others to treat us with respect. Respect isn't given, or earned. It's demanded, which we refuse to do.

Yes this country did reprehensible things to us, so let's stop giving people the opportunity to take advantage of us.

PS. Don't take this to mean I have animosity with any one race of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Horendeous stupid and act of hatred! That should be charged with THOUGHTCRIME! However this is America and he's, protected under the 2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. That former Arab party store employee had to be extremely cautious while dealing with certian ethnic people in their community. Especially doing business in the black community! He and his family who runs a business could get beaten up, shot or possibly dead. Even his business getting burn down.
    Actually the second amendment is the right to bear arms. The 1st amendment is free speech.

Well said, brizee.

This doesn't surprise me one bit, these store owners have always felt contempt and disdain for the people that keep them in business. I've been around and had conversations with a number of middle eastern store owners who have let their guard down and felt they could speak freely to me about my own people and boy let me tell you, they barely tolerate us, if it weren't for us patronizing their business they wouldn't deal with us, their opinion of the very people they serve is so low that if it weren't for the fact they recognize the power of the black dollar they wouldn't even venture into the neighborhoods where their businesses are located. The flip side of this is that we blacks don't like them either, most of the time they are the only store that is close by, so we frequent their business. There is this little dance that takes place, we pretend to like them and they pretend they like us and all the while we really can't stand each other but we its accepted as a necessary evil.

[QUOTE=brizee;380323]

Respect isn't given, or earned. It's demanded, which we refuse to do.

I agree with what you say except the above. Respect is earned, we try to demand it, and you cant demand that some respect you. you can demand that they let you in there store or live on there block, but you cant demand respect, it is earned, and untill we start acting like we give a damn, nobody is going to give a damn about us.

[QUOTE=jaytheory;380340]
    Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post

Respect isn't given, or earned. It's demanded, which we refuse to do.

I agree with what you say except the above. Respect is earned, we try to demand it, and you cant demand that some respect you. you can demand that they let you in there store or live on there block, but you cant demand respect, it is earned, and untill we start acting like we give a damn, nobody is going to give a damn about us.
    How can you earn respect from someone that clearly is unwilling to give respect no matter what?

[QUOTE=jt1;380342]
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytheory View Post

How can you earn respect from someone that clearly is unwilling to give respect no matter what?
    Prove your accusation.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast