Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Ken Cockrel won't be running for reelection.

Shrek calling it quits.

I don't remember much about his eight months on the job. I know he did try to merge DDOT and SMART.

I voted for that buffoon Bing over him, which in hindsight was a fustercluck of a mistake.

I can't say I blame him. Who the fuck would want to put up with idiots bleating "CLOWNSIL" all the damn time?

Monica Conyers as Council President [[along with Collins and Reeves) were a thorn in temp Mayor Cockrel's side, and helped him lose in the special election...

Big vacuum in District 6. None of the candidates that have already declared seem too strong.

As a resident in the District, I'd love to see one of the competent people from SW run. I think they've done some really good things down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    Big vacuum in District 6. None of the candidates that have already declared seem too strong.

As a resident in the District, I'd love to see one of the competent people from SW run. I think they've done some really good things down there.

I agree although be careful, JoAnn watson lives in Southwest

Quote Originally Posted by jaytheory View Post
    I agree although be careful, JoAnn watson lives in Southwest
    I think JoAnn the Hutt lives in Riverfront Towers. Still that district, though.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I think JoAnn the Hutt lives in Riverfront Towers. Still that district, though.
    Whatever happened to her tornado-damaged house in Russell Woods? Was she not able to afford the property taxes?

Goosbye to that same old leader. Now Detroit can move on without him.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post

Just curious. Who have you heard about running? No one on the Council currently lives in SW Detroit [[where I live) so I would like to see some one represent us for a change.
    Last edited by detroitgirl; April-23-13 at 03:24 PM.

Too bad. Cockrel was almost certainly the best of the lot on the Council. Can't say that I blame him for wanting to get away from that dysfunctional body though. I think a lot of people now realize that it was a mistake going for Bing over him, I wonder if he'd consider running for mayor again? Perhaps after the EFM has run its course.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; April-24-13 at 09:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitgirl View Post
    Just curious. Who have you heard about running? No one on the Council currently lives in SW Detroit [[where I live) so I would like to see some one represent us for a change.
    I've met with a majority of current candidates running in District 6 and am disappointed with the turnout as well. There are a fair share of interested parties who will pull petitions in the upcoming week. I will wait for the three major names to surface, but I'm excited about each and every one of them.

they can all go by 'the way side' as i see fit!
    it's an old term but means 'don't let the door hit you on the ass as you leave'

We voted for Kenny, Bing has been rally lame!

Quote Originally Posted by Chinman View Post
    they can all go by 'the way side' as i see fit!
    it's an old term but means 'don't let the door hit you on the ass as you leave'
    CAY term, nice.....

I voted for him for mayor. The Bing machine was already in full swing though, with the media and suburban business leaders falling all over themselves to defacto endorse Bing. What we needed was a [[failed) business leader from the suburbs to run this town [[into the ground).

Kenny didn't get any of their free campaign advertising. He also isn't a smooth talker, just a regular family guy from the neighborhood with a solid political history. He may not have been a pancea, but I think he would have done a much better job than that rancid old asshole we currently have shuffling around, powerless.

He left a long record of decent service and I wish him well. He also likes Star Trek, for you trekkies out there.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    He also isn't a smooth talker, just a regular family guy from the neighborhood with a solid political history.
    I couldn't agree more. Ken is the down to earth guy you'd want as a neighbor.

excited for the city councils clean slate. off with all thier heads

Out of all of the incumbents, Ken Cockrel is about the only one I would have maybe sorta kinda voted back into office.

Now I'm waiting for the day that Gary Brown announces he ain't running.

One of the saner members departing. Wonder where he'll work next?

Bump for the entire clowncil to be eliminated & use the money [[$10 million plus) to add more police & fireman!

He could always move across the river and run for mayor of Windsor. God knows we could use someone of his intelligence and experience at city hall.

KC struck me as actually caring for the city, trying to do the right thing. It was MonCon that did not like that someone could be decent and get something going in the right direction without thought for themselves. MonCon set the city back at least 5 years with nonsense. Ken might have been able to stick around as mayor for a while. A lot of what if's . We will never know. Someone with big money and backers will be the next mayor.