Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hygrade Deli fighting for its life

Revived Thread Discussion: Jump to new discussion ->

================================
    This article got me thinking about other Detroit restaurant institutions. Any favorites having a hard time staying open?

"A lot of places around town try to create a retro atmosphere [[think every restaurant touting exposed brick and I-beams). Hygrade can't escape it.

Many of you know the story: Nate Stutz opened the Hygrade Deli some 60 years ago in what was then the Western Market. The deli got its name from the market's largest vendor, Hygrade Food Product Corp.

But after the Western Market was leveled to make way for I-75, Hygrade Food moved to Livonia, while Stutz moved the restaurant to Michigan Avenue.

And there it has sat ever since, in an unaltered state, serving some of the city's best corned beef sandwiches to an ever-shrinking customer base."

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...roits-comeback

When I was living in the neighborhood, and using the same vendor for some of the meats at Eph's, I learned mad respect for these folks. They are within a short walk to one of the best deli meat producers, Sy Ginsberg...or rather, the United Meat and Deli headquarters. Those folks really rock it out daily, and Hygrade are their loyal darlings...often getting the choisest cuts.

People gotta keep Hygrade in business. I forgot about them when I moved outta town...an oasis of good among a tonnage of bad memories. They are one of the top dive joints in town...and jumped up a few notches in my consideration after I learned Duly's only uses margarine. I might put them in the top five...
    Last edited by Gannon; April-23-13 at 10:08 AM.

My dad has a great story about this place. I don't know if it is the same owner now as it was when he went there. But he only went there once and grew up in the neighborhood. After hearing his story I have avoided it. Thats all I am sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    My dad has a great story about this place. I don't know if it is the same owner now as it was when he went there. But he only went there once and grew up in the neighborhood. After hearing his story I have avoided it. Thats all I am sayin'.
    I've heard generally good things about Hygrade, but the neighborhood is basically a wasteland. That can't be helpful.

Basically everything to the north is vacant, and everything to the south is Mexican/Puerto Rican which probably isn't their target market. PR are concentrated heavily towards Michigan, and Mexican to the south.

BEST REUBEN this side of Chicago.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    According to the article a new owner took over in 1972 -- was your dad's experience prior to then?

I used to frequent a bar called "The Roxy Bar" across 25th street from Hygrades during my Wayne State years. The building is now called "Staars Bar".

- Saw an off-duty cop shoot the clock off the wall at closing time at the Roxy Bar.

- Was playing pool with a local named Russ, when someone threw an M80 into the front seat of his mail-jeep. "What do you want to do?" I asked Russ. "Lets finish the game" was his response. Blew the windshield right out of the jeep.

-Used to give a ride to the owner, an older guy named H.E. after closing time. He often bought me a late dinner at the Senate Coney in return for the ride.

- All rum&cokes I ever paid for cost $2 each. I think I received the student discount.

Good times.

Had breakfast there last week. Outstanding.

Their corned beef is excellent. For purists who only swear by the likes of Stage Deli or Zingerman's, Hygrade is half the price and twice the atmosphere.

More folks working downtown should take a little extra time for lunch, get in their cars and take a very short road trip to the Hygrade.

Stu,you will survive.I can't recall how many meals of yours went down my tubes,but I enjoyed every bite.Our fathers are looking down and pushing us always forward.Of course Bernie is telling Dave where not to sit,he doesn't want his floor "shmootz-up"!

I think I'm hitting this place up for Reubens. This Puerto Rican loves Reubens.
    Last edited by Islandman; April-23-13 at 01:30 PM.

I hope this publicity gives them a ton of business.

I ate breakfast there opening day. The food is fantastic and the staff are super nice. Top notch corned beef.

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown Lady View Post
    According to the article a new owner took over in 1972 -- was your dad's experience prior to then?
    Unfortunately dad is 75 and has worked in Detroit for 45 years. Have no idea of when he went. He has been retired for the last ten though!

It's a great place, and with the nearby Mike's Famous Ham, makes a good lunchtime destination. I used to stop in there pretty often when I worked downtown and had friends who lived out Michigan Ave. and W. Warren.

They used to subsist off of trade from the nearby industrial areas, particularly Cadillac over at Clark St. As those industries have died off or moved away, and the surrounding neighborhood has more or less disappeared, I'm sure it has become harder and harder to keep the restaurant profitable and operating. Even the commuter trade isn't what it once was, as the neighborhoods further out Michigan and the west side have also declined and begun emptying out.

I'll make a point of stopping in next time I'm over on the west side.

I've heard good things about the Hygrade Deli, but have never made it there to try it. Will put it on the To Do list!!!

From UrbanSpoon:

Hours:

Monday 6:30 am – 3:00 pm
    Tuesday 6:30 am – 3:00 pm
    Wednesday 6:30 am – 3:00 pm
    Thursday 6:30 am – 3:00 pm
    Friday 6:30 am – 3:00 pm
    Saturday 7:00 am – 2:00 pm
    Sunday Closed

Goodness I am not a big red meat eater but I am gonna try one of these out ASAP, like ummm - this weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtragedy View Post
    BEST REUBEN this side of Chicago.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-24-13 at 04:21 AM.

Got my attention!

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I hope this publicity gives them a ton of business.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline View Post
    Their corned beef is excellent. For purists who only swear by the likes of Stage Deli or Zingerman's, Hygrade is half the price and twice the atmosphere.
    What's a Zingerman's?

If a long-time business like this got half of the publicity that the media salivates over every "new Detroit" or hipster project, it might not be in such an unfortunate, precarious situation.

My husband is in search of good Ruebens, we'll have to go there.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    What's a Zingerman's?
    Zingerman's Deli in Ann Arbor
    http://www.zingermansdeli.com/

It's a must-visit eatery!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Zingerman's Deli in Ann Arbor
    http://www.zingermansdeli.com/

It's a must-visit eatery!!
    If you're a wealthy person

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    If you're a wealthy person
    Hey, you gotta splurge every once in a while!!! Plus the sandwich is so big, I split it across two meals...

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    I've heard generally good things about Hygrade, but the neighborhood is basically a wasteland. That can't be helpful.

I can vouch for their Corned Beef too - Proper Jewish Rye bread, kraut, swiss and Russian dressing. Not too many places left like this. I only wish they were open for dinner since it's such a big sandwich. What if they leased a new location closer to Midtown or Corktown? I'm sure someone could help them raise some free money for the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    I've heard good things about the Hygrade Deli, but have never made it there to try it. Will put it on the To Do list!!!

From UrbanSpoon:

Hours:

Monday 6:30 am – 3:00 pm
    Tuesday 6:30 am – 3:00 pm
    Wednesday 6:30 am – 3:00 pm
    Thursday 6:30 am – 3:00 pm
    Friday 6:30 am – 3:00 pm
    Saturday 7:00 am – 2:00 pm
    Sunday Closed
    Strange hours. Who are they catering to with this schedule? Reubens taste more delicious after 3 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast