Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default RIP Richie Havens

Richie Havens died of a heart attack. on Earth Day. very fitting given his dedication to environmental issues

He was another artist best appreciated in concert

I met him once. I was working with a number of people co-producing a concert in Illinois about 40 or so years ago with him, Jefferson Starship, another headliner I can't remember and Stonefront, a Detroit based band.

After the concert, Starship took off in a Limo but he hung out. A violent fight broke out between two concert attendees as they were leaving. We were sitting around shooting the shit and he jumped up, got in the middle of the fight and stopped it. Within about a minute he had both of the people in his arms and got them to shake hands.

He was a special person with incredible social skills and one hell of a performer. I for one will miss him.
    Richie Havens - All Along The Watchtower [[Live) - YouTube

Richie Havens, Freedom, [[Woodstock) - YouTube

If I remember correctly, he played guitar in open E, always. I'm not even going to look that one up. Just a guess.

yes, I think you are right about his tunings. the guy had huge hands and he allegedly did that to make playing easier

Okay rb, now George Jones, where are we at? Is there a 2013 thread count of musicians on the horizon?

no, not doing it this year. as far as well-known names, I think we are WAY behind last year

I believe Tom Brokaw coined the phrase "The Greatest Generation", in reference to those who lived and died during the second of the wars to end all wars. Similarly, the pioneers of breaking musical boundaries are slowly falling away as well. The cross pollination that happened during those turbulent years - roughly 1954 thru 1971 - will always be regarded as nearly "myth". But I'll be damned if that shit didn't really happen. It did :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ggores View Post
    I believe Tom Brokaw coined the phrase "The Greatest Generation", in reference to those who lived and died during the second of the wars to end all wars. Similarly, the pioneers of breaking musical boundaries are slowly falling away as well. The cross pollination that happened during those turbulent years - roughly 1954 thru 1971 - will always be regarded as nearly "myth". But I'll be damned if that shit didn't really happen. It did :-)
    and the "backlash" against the bloated thing rock became during that area produced some pretty amazing stuff too

Saw Richie Havens a couple of times, but the best one was when he was touring just after the release of "Mixed Bag". It was at The Chessmate, must have been '69. Great performance, great artist who took the time during a break to talk to an 18 year old radio geek.

Dave played with Thornetta at Blissfest in 2010, opening for Richie Havens. Name:  2010 Blissfest Thornetta_RichieHavens.jpg
Views: 1488
Size:  38.2 KB

After we took photos with Richie, there was an incident whereby a young guy strung out on something hopped up on the stage and ran backstage like someone was after him, knocked me down, and then jumped up on top of a table where Richie's guitar was sitting....and broke the guitar!!!! It was unplayable. The young man was held down until the sheriff arrived, and taken away by ambulance. Blissfest folks tracked down a guitar that Richie looked over and said it would do...and proceeded onstage like he didn't care that he had just lost a guitar that he had for years...and played a magnificent show!Name:  2010 Blissfest Richie Havens.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  29.1 KB

Last time I saw him was a few years back @ the DIA. I got there plenty early to catch both shows, and the place was half empty. The show was just Mr. Havens and his guitar. I kept thinking "damn, I should've brought my drums".

Wasn't this song derived from a song '' Motherless Child'' or something like that which was a bout a common practice for slave owners to sell off children of slaves to other slave owners ? I loved Richie's voice and his music just mesmerizes me . The story is Richie opened up Woodstock and played almost 3 hours straight because the other acts had trouble getting there .

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnatic View Post
    Wasn't this song derived from a song '' Motherless Child'' or something like that which was a bout a common practice for slave owners to sell off children of slaves to other slave owners ? I loved Richie's voice and his music just mesmerizes me . The story is Richie opened up Woodstock and played almost 3 hours straight because the other acts had trouble getting there .
    the story is true, but the length of time has ranged from 1 1/2 hours to 4 hours. officially he was on just under 2 hours. I think the next closest was the Dead, who cut their set short at 1 1/2 hours due to equipment malfunctions