Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Corktown's New Mascot...

Well, I can't say I didn't already know about this, but I figured it was better not to say anything and let people have their false sense of security.

That was, until a young woman got shot and killed there the other day:

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...ity_dummy.html

But I will say this, I talked more than one neighborhood teenager out of breaking in the vehicle to steal that dummy. It wasn't exactly a well kept secret.

Quote Originally Posted by detroitsgwenivere View Post
    Well, I can't say I didn't already know about this, but I figured it was better not to say anything and let people have their false sense of security.

That was, until a young woman got shot and killed there the other day:

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...ity_dummy.html
    Safety is becoming less about geographical borders. I've been living less than a 1/4 mile from the Corktown Inn but have never gone near there.

Why?

Call me a skeptic, but I'm wary of a motel that charges $60/night. That would be true if I was in Sterling Heights or Roseville.

Out in Washtenaw County, there is a "hotel" called the "Harmony House Hotel". It advertises at $49/night. A friend of mine that grew up in Ypsi jokes about how that place was super sketchy 15 years ago. It's not any better now.

That said, it is tragic what happened to that woman...and whether it happens in Corktown, Brightmoor, Toledo, or Grand Rapids, it's horrible.

BTW, the building has been listed for sale for several months...am curious if there has been any interest.

http://www.freep.com/article/2013042...wn-inn-killing

The man may have been targeting women online to rob. He’s accused of killing Ninoshka Nueves-Figuera, a mother of two.

We might have caught another "Craigslist Killer". BTW, correction, building not for sale. Owner looking to lease out space. Not sure if it's to lease [[and convert/redevelop) the entire hotel or if it's just space in the building.

May he rot in detention.

I find it encouraging and interesting that the arrest was by the "U.S. Marshals Service, which is part of the multi-agency Detroit Fugitive Apprehension Team". It means the overwhelmed and under-compensated Detroit Police are getting help.

The promptness of the arrest is also encouraging and hopefully they have captured the true perpetrator!

Shollin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    Safety is becoming less about geographical borders. I've been living less than a 1/4 mile from the Corktown Inn but have never gone near there.

Why?

Call me a skeptic, but I'm wary of a motel that charges $60/night. That would be true if I was in Sterling Heights or Roseville.

Out in Washtenaw County, there is a "hotel" called the "Harmony House Hotel". It advertises at $49/night. A friend of mine that grew up in Ypsi jokes about how that place was super sketchy 15 years ago. It's not any better now.

That said, it is tragic what happened to that woman...and whether it happens in Corktown, Brightmoor, Toledo, or Grand Rapids, it's horrible.

BTW, the building has been listed for sale for several months...am curious if there has been any interest.
    Yikes I know of a motel that charges $40 a night in Sterling Heights. Oddly enough, there is never dead bodies found in there. I would be more skeptical of the hotels who offer rates by the hour.

what a sad thing to happen!
    never a good thing...but all to reply...when i watch the news and some local says...we don't get this kind of stuff out here. i just want to shout out and say that it happens sometimes...get over it and accept that crime happens everywhere!

It does not sound like a random killing. I wonder if he was an old boyfriend or something.