Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Detroit Entrepreneur guy meme

Have you guys seen this?

Lorimer posted an article on Model D about opportunities in Detroit and how he and others like him will save Detroit. He got skewered. Been n Detroit 14 months. Drives a Prius. Is of course white. Fabulously tone deaf. A meme was born.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3071712.html

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDrizzly View Post
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/12/white-entrepreneurial-guy-detroit-jason-lorimer-meme_n_3071712.html

Have you guys seen this?

Lorimer posted an article on Model D about opportunities in Detroit and how he and others like him will save Detroit. He got skewered. Been n Detroit 14 months. Drives a Prius. Is of course white. Fabulously tone deaf. A mme was born.
    http://www.quickmeme.com/White-Entre...ar/1/?upcoming

I think the meme is pretty funny, but the some of the feedback from it really shows that people are content with the way things have been for the past 30 years. More specifically this guy.

http://detroit.jalopnik.com/the-whit...nnie-472639838

Yeah, there can be alot of fluff talk when it comes to websites that motivate people to do good things. I just say get involved directly. Become a mentor, work at a soup kitchen. Help an elderly person do yardwork. At the same time his site might show tangible solutions at some point. It's okay to lightly poke fun, but it's not exactly good press when commentary [[beyond a playful meme) carries undertones of negativity and prejudice.

Another "Detroit" thread that will eventually turn into a discussion about race.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    I think the meme is pretty funny, but the some of the feedback from it really shows that people are content with the way things have been for the past 30 years. More specifically this guy.

http://detroit.jalopnik.com/the-whit...nnie-472639838
    I think Aaron Foley's article is a hoot.

I resemble the meme. I also don't put too much stock in it. There are about as many different ways of being a young white entrepreneur who moved here from out of state as there are people who fit that description. There will always be people who resent me for what I resemble--and, probably, always people who I will resent based only on what they resemble.

Detroit doesn't need a white savior. It does need successful white businesses. And successful black businesses. And Arab businesses, and businesses owned by anyone else who is willing to live and work and pay taxes and mow the lawn.

"Successful businesses" isn't the magic bullet. There isn't one. There never will be one. There's only a long series of gradual steps towards a city that might be better than Detroit is today. Many of those will be missteps. Many steps will also be extremely profitable for some people.

The average young white 20-something outside Detroit has access to way more capital than the average young black 20-something inside Detroit. The deck is stacked in America across the board in favor of white men -- our boats rise more when the tide comes in. The "rebirth of Detroit" will probably disproportionately benefit white men. I think we should try for it anyway -- and simultaneously, we should try to end the systemic inequality of race and gender in America.

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    I resemble the meme. I also don't put too much stock in it. There are about as many different ways of being a young white entrepreneur who moved here from out of state as there are people who fit that description. There will always be people who resent me for what I resemble--and, probably, always people who I will resent based only on what they resemble.

Detroit doesn't need a white savior. It does need successful white businesses. And successful black businesses. And Arab businesses, and businesses owned by anyone else who is willing to live and work and pay taxes and mow the lawn.

"Successful businesses" isn't the magic bullet. There isn't one. There never will be one. There's only a long series of gradual steps towards a city that might be better than Detroit is today. Many of those will be missteps. Many steps will also be extremely profitable for some people.

The average young white 20-something outside Detroit has access to way more capital than the average young black 20-something inside Detroit. The deck is stacked in America across the board in favor of white men -- our boats rise more when the tide comes in. The "rebirth of Detroit" will probably disproportionately benefit white men. I think we should try for it anyway -- and simultaneously, we should try to end the systemic inequality of race and gender in America.
    ...and if Jason Lorimer had just said that, instead of spewing a bunch of meaningless buzzwords and incomprehensible gibberish, nobody would be making fun of him.

Some of them are funny.

However, I honestly don't get anti-gentrification Detroiters. We're not talking about densely populated neighborhoods or occupied business districts with local business owners. It's half-empty neighborhoods or abandoned buildings. It's not really "gentrification"...it's redevelopment. Should we be content with a city less than half occupied? To me, there's plenty of Detroit to go around, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    ...and if Jason Lorimer had just said that, instead of spewing a bunch of meaningless buzzwords and incomprehensible gibberish, nobody would be making fun of him.
    I know, right? People aren't mocking this guy because he's white and of means. They're mocking him because he insults the intelligence of those who aren't of his socioeconomic background.

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    I know, right? People aren't mocking this guy because he's white and of means. They're mocking him because he insults the intelligence of those who aren't of his socioeconomic background.
    I imagine Ted Serbinski's article may be getting some attention soon as well. Instead of using random jargon to insult the intelligence of locals, he's claiming to be a revitalization hero.

Chutzpah is certainly necessary to succeed, but in this instance I don't think it's really going to win any friends.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...tandardLogin=1

BTW, I shared this article with some of my colleagues here in NYC. They particularly chuckled at the comment that entrepreneurs are "taking the easy way out" here.

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...tandardLogin=1

BTW, I shared this article with some of my colleagues here in NYC. They particularly chuckled at the comment that entrepreneurs are "taking the easy way out" here.
    Didn't you just make a long winded post only a month ago about how you were leaving Detroit because it was too hard to work with a technology startup? I believe you said you were going somewhere that welcomed your talent and desire to create a liveable city. So basically you yourself said you were going to take an easier way out. Be sure to have your colleagues chuckle at you next time.

Oh yes, here it is. http://www.detroityes.com/mb/showthr...City-[[for-now)

Didn't you just make a long winded post only a month ago about how you were leaving Detroit because it was too hard to work with a technology startup? I believe you said you were going somewhere that welcomed your talent and desire to create a liveable city. So basically you yourself said you were going to take an easier way out. Be sure to have your colleagues chuckle at you next time.

Yes, I distinctly remember that long-winded piece I wrote. I also remember you being pretty salted by it and interpreting my piece as claiming that I'm "God's gift to Detroit". Clearly, you didn't find it too favorable, and this response further solidifies that opinion, but we won't stray off topic.

There's a difference between "easier" and "rational", subsidized, and the reason why New Yorkers laughed at Serbinski's claim is because they're worked their asses off to get where they are now. The community in NYC is thriving because there's a continued development of coordinated resources that continues to take a lot of time and effort. But at the end of the day, there's just as much of a challenge to launch a successful company in the major markets.

A startup doesn't want to know whether or not it's an uphill climb to get the resources they need: they just want them. Ted's vantage point is one of someone that doesn't have to worry about that. Now, if his words were emanating from a guy that's still in early seed, with little or no VC pitches lined up but an awesome idea in store, and he can't find the talent to build out his team, then I'd view this piece a little bit differently.

But Ted's a VP at a prominent VC in town living in a really nice area, and he's commanding a six-figure salary + equity options. That doesn't seem like too much of a risk-averse situation to me, and to view them as "heroes" [[or even to view himself as a hero) is a pretty interesting spin.

What do you think, subsidized? Is DVP the golden egg for the Detroit startup community? Perhaps it would be helpful to understand your vantage point on all of this, since I've shared quite a bit about my perspective but I hear none of your own.
    Last edited by michimoby; April-22-13 at 04:42 PM.

What the heck is a Meme?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    What the heck is a Meme?
    Anything written or said that you disagree with and consider to be insidious propaganda.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    What the heck is a Meme?
    It is a hip test that you just failed.

Actually, a meme is a concept or an idea which propogates throughout society not unlike a virus or genetic mutation. Often a humorous twist on standard definitions, with its popularity now growing exponentially at the speed of electrons through the internet, memes are often misunderstood as ONLY comedic.

I think the rate of identification/implementation is radically faster than when this concept was introduced, since the standard definition says the geometric multiplication is through echoing and mimicing through generational 'training'...when the modern application is greatly accelerated through reading Facebook and Twitter and such. It may have been not unlike genetic change in the past, but is much more viral-acting now.
    Last edited by Gannon; April-23-13 at 08:40 AM.

This cohort of entrepreneurs was bound to be parodied at some point. Detroit is a town of makers and there is some perception that these new Detroiters are just selling snake oil via Facebook and Twitter and slapping their backs about it. But what I found most unusual though is their use of buzz words and this race-based public retort, if you will. They use the right buzz words that entrepreneurial white people are supposed to use in Detroit, such "community", "change", "engage", "education", "diversity". Yet, as we see by the creation of these memes, that's not good enough. The new Detroiters, regardless of their intentions, are just white, and for some people, that's just not ok.

So Memes can only be White Hipsters who use the types of words that my "Planning in Plain English" text would refer to as useless jargon?

Not necessarily...heh...they can be useful jargon as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Zozo View Post
    Yet, as we see by the creation of these memes, that's not good enough. The new Detroiters, regardless of their intentions, are just white, and for some people, that's just not ok.
    This is just bafflingly, mind-bendingly wrong. Read the memes. Look at who's circulating them [[hint: a whole lot of young white folks who recently moved to the city). Think! Use your head! Learn to distinguish nuanced critiques from torches and pitchforks.

This is just bafflingly, mind-bendingly wrong. Read the memes. Look at who's circulating them [[hint: a whole lot of young white folks who recently moved to the city). Think! Use your head! Learn to distinguish nuanced critiques from torches and pitchforks.
    Yeah, I got my thinking cap on. And I read the memes. I have no idea who is circulating them. Do you? I suppose any one could. I don't see why that is important. Nuanced? I don't think the "critiques" are that nuanced when they all rely on the same stereotype as a touchstone. A touchstone of class and race.

Yeah, I got my thinking cap on. And I read the memes. I have no idea who is circulating them. Do you? I suppose any one could. I don't see why that is important.
    Yes, anyone could, that's the point. People who choose to circulate them [[again, many of them young, white, and new-ish to the city) are doing so because the messages resonate with them. I know lots of people who are circulating them via Facebook and such. I've done it myself.
    Nuanced? I don't think the "critiques" are that nuanced when they all rely on the same stereotype as a touchstone. A touchstone of class and race.
    Is cluelessness a race or a class?

Is cluelessness a race or a class?
    "Cluelessness", or stupidity and unfamiliarity, which is what I think you mean, are big themes in those memes, which granted are very wide ranging. But the ignorance on display in those memes is not exclusive of race and class, they are all joined together in a very bold stereotype, which seems to get a pass around these parts.

"Cluelessness", or stupidity and unfamiliarity, which is what I think you mean, are big themes in those memes, which granted are very wide ranging. But the ignorance on display in those memes is not exclusive of race and class, they are all joined together in a very bold stereotype, which seems to get a pass around these parts.
    I meant "cluelessness." That's why I said "cluelessness."

....any response to my comment, subsidized? I can understand if you're busy, but you've indirectly antagonized me twice in these here forums now, and you've never provided a response to my questions. I start getting frustrated when I've been open and candid about my perspectives with no dialogue.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast