Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default What is Southeast Michigan's political outlook for the next 10 years?

I'm in Detroit so I somewhat have an idea of the political climate here where things may be going. Things are uncertain but I have some idea of who can and can't get elected. I

Default What is Southeast Michigan's local political outlook for the next 10 years?

I'm in Detroit so I somewhat have an idea of the political climate here where things may be going. Things are uncertain but I have some idea of who can and can't get elected. From what I understand Northern and Southern Oakland county is divided. Is there a similar issue in Macomb? Are there new political leaders coming up with a different view of how Metro Detroit should be compared to the past 40 years? Or will people vote to maintain status quo? I'm guessing the latter maybe true considering who leaves and who stays here. What is your opinion of where local politics are heading in SE Michigan?

Macomb is very similar though more democratic.

outside of detroit proper, look for SE Michigan to turn more sharply "red" than before; regardless of whatever "progress" happens in Detroit the city will likely still have antagonism at the state legislature level and the near-suburban level..

After some resistance to the dozens of Emergency Financial Managers who have replaced elected representatives, the next governor finds a solution: Give electronic voting machine contracts to the managers and their sponsors in advance. Saves time.

Change? Faggedaboutdit. SE Michigan has been the cradle of the Democratic party and it ain't about to change in your lifetimes. Hooray for the Democrats! Free everything for everybody! Why work when we will provide for your every comfort? [[Oh, while we line our pockets at the same time, of course.)

[[For the unsophisticated on this forum? This is really just a spoof.)

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    outside of detroit proper, look for SE Michigan to turn more sharply "red" than before; regardless of whatever "progress" happens in Detroit the city will likely still have antagonism at the state legislature level and the near-suburban level..
    Agreed.

The great state of Michissippi.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Agreed.

The great state of Michissippi.
    I'll agree about Michissippi, but it won't be because more people are voting Rep.

Gerrymandering will ensure Rep control of the legislature forever, despite Dem majorities of the votes, money will ensure Rep governors, elected by the yahoos in Kent and Ottawa counties and the rest of the hicks. For profit charter schools will provide a third-rate education for all the kids who can't afford Cranbrook or Country Day, the freeways will turn to gravel [[if you really want to get someplace buy a helicopter!), and everyone who didn't go to Harvard or Yale will be happy to work for minimum wage just to have a job [[by this point UM, MSU, and the rest of the state schools will officially be farm teams of the NBA and NFL).

More divided than ever before

10 years from now, Michigan will be one of the poorest states in the union, if republicans still are in control. Detroit is already the largest poor city.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    10 years from now, Michigan will be one of the poorest states in the union, if republicans still are in control. Detroit is already the largest poor city.
    As I read your post, I thought you were going to say if the democrats are still in control.

Why do we each so little faith in those with whom we disagree? How do we bridge this gap?

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Michigan has a surplus budget. Detroit in bankrupt. Who's on first?

SE michigan? IDK. Autos seem to be well while the region has moved away from dependance on the industry. I dont really understand politics in Detroit. Churches seem pretty influential tho. People probably take political direction from their spiritual leaders. Religion is supposed to inspire good, far cry from what you hear in the news. Same with jail. You got to jail and everyone is covered in religious tattoos and & tryin to preach the word. I expect the church represents their constituents as well as their own interests to city council.

republicans privatize everything, including the police force.
    the corporation that owns the police force starts running the city.
    eventually they come up with a plan to build a new delta city on top of old detroit.

but instead of getting a robocop, that corporation goes bankrupt. the police force is reduced to a small force of part-time minimum wage workers. detroit returns to a chaos more horrible than it finds itself in now.

after that, the state just figures its cheaper to build a big ass wall around detroit and call it even.

or maybe i've seen escape from new york and robocop too many times.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    or maybe i've seen escape from new york and robocop too many times.
    So has Dan Gilbert, apparently...

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    SE michigan? IDK. Autos seem to be well while the region has moved away from dependance on the industry. I dont really understand politics in Detroit. Churches seem pretty influential tho. People probably take political direction from their spiritual leaders. Religion is supposed to inspire good, far cry from what you hear in the news. Same with jail. You got to jail and everyone is covered in religious tattoos and & tryin to preach the word. I expect the church represents their constituents as well as their own interests to city council.
    Detroit is still very dependent on the auto industry. It's going good now after they cleared all that debt, just wait until another calamity comes along and then what?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Michigan has a surplus budget. Detroit in bankrupt. Who's on first?
    Yeah I guess so, after Snyder used his "butcher knife" to cut the fat from the poor and middle class to enrich his republican cronies and big business constituents. The dems don't get a free pass either, they haven't lived up to their billing as "being for the good of the people" either, so I guess we're at a stalemate.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; April-24-13 at 09:33 AM.

What about a closer end to Welfare Checks to Food Stamps for Michigan DHS if Republicans in Lansing have their way:

1. New policies will make those applying for either cash assistance or Bridge Card MUST work recently and had laid-off not fired! If worker quits for reasons, that client must bring a written excuse from that person who made other person leave the workplace. And not recieving unemployment benefits. Laid-off workers who are physically fit MUST see a medical doctor and pass a mandatory drug or blood test. Clients must have not over 5 to 10 year felony or violating 5 probations.

2. Cash assistance and Bridge Card clients who are physically disabled are first priority for approval. Person[[s) who are mentally disabled MUST get see a psychiatrist for approval and pass a mandatory drug or blood test. Clients must have not over 5 to 10 year felony or violating 5 probations.

3. WIC clients who are applying for food benefits MUST recently work and being laid-off and pass a mandatory drug or blood test. Clients must have over 5 to 10 year felony or violating 5 probations.