Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Is it even possible to lock Detroit down the way Boston currently is?

Due to bombings and mayhem right now Boston, it's suburbs and nearby communities are on lockdown.

Don't leave leave your homes, checkpoints on the roads, transit is suspended, nobody gets in or out of the metro.

To search for one man

Los Angeles recently went through a similar yet much less extreme measure on the hunt for Chris Dorner.

I've read similar stories how the entire city of New York was frozen looking for Ronell Wilson

Would it even be possible to pull something off like this in the D?

Maybe the freeways could be shut down with checkpoints but there's so many little roads between city and suburb, suburb and other suburb and it's so huge geographically.

I'd say I'm glad we don't have to deal with that nonsense, but someone did try to blow up a plane over us twice a few years ago.

Sure, why not? What a silly question. Bring in the police departments from a 100 mile radius along with military backup and you could accomplish anything.

NM.

Whatever.
    Last edited by brizee; April-19-13 at 05:01 PM.

Are you talking about your original post?

I can assure you that there are many, many little roads between the towns around Boston. The number of crossings over the Charles River is limited, but other than that there aren't a lot of barriers. But from what I can tell they aren't trying to block every street, just asking people to stay inside, and cordoning off specific areas.

Of course it's possible. Lock the freeways down, barricade the medians where no freeway exists. A quarter of the city borders the riverfront. Done.

Not a chance way to much square mileage to cover!

Boston has to be one of the hardest cities in the U.S. to navigate, [[streetwise). It's one of the most confusing street grids due to the age of the city and the way it was forced to follow the original plan of the city. I believe it's based on agricultural patterns and moving livestock around. It's a 21st. century nightmare for drivers.

Yep, absolutely. With very little notice or little required written or presently considered edict.

Quote Originally Posted by devman1983 View Post
    Sure, why not? What a silly question. Bring in the police departments from a 100 mile radius along with military backup and you could accomplish anything.
    Last edited by Zacha341; April-19-13 at 11:17 PM.

I remember in the years after the '67 Riots, there were many discussions/articles disseminated about the potential/threat of various forms of lock-down, occupation of the city - elements such as the freeways, foliage, main arteries, etc.

Odd that any would question not only the ability, but the seeming PLAN to do so. Why else are there cameras at so many intersections in the city...but not in the suburbs as much?!

And don't go telling me they are traffic cameras, that is bullshit and you know it. Only at major intersections? Try again. Not so.

Why are there cameras at Warren and Dickerson?!

It would be a fun exercise to map out where all of these cameras are located...crowd-sourcing at its finest, let's all chip in and figure out where they think the most of the population will need to be observed from afar. Because they'd obviously be too chicken to patrol that intersection themselves.

That was likely the lesson learned in '67. More technology, less trigger-happy scaredey-cat green military...more of the war-hardened ones. Then wait a generation...so most forget.

Detroit can, and will, be locked down. As quickly as Boston, although I fear the people will not be as polite.

Detroit has something Boston does not ,drones that could grid out the city from the comfort of an easy chair.

It was ridiculous overkill. All that to get one guy, and we can't get universal background checks.

Our priorities are pretty effed.

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDrizzly View Post
    It was ridiculous overkill. All that to get one guy, and we can't get universal background checks.

It kinda makes one wonder why a foreign country asked the FBI to investigate the guy two years ago ,they must have had a reason.

Sometimes it seems as though priorities are based on politics and who stands to make the most profit at the time .

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    It kinda makes one wonder why a foreign country asked the FBI to investigate the guy two years ago ,they must have had a reason.

Sometimes it seems as though priorities are based on politics and who stands to make the most profit at the time .
    I don't know if "profit" is the motivator here. Read some of the posts both here and other places on the internet. The minute someone in authority asks to look in you bag, out comes the "my civil rights" card. Peter Bergman's article brings up some interesting questions about these "first time" bomb makers. Beginner's luck, or a trained operative? Maybe there was information they traveled to and met with questionable people. Either way, I'd rather some POS rights get violated then good people ending up dead or as amputees.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Due to bombings and mayhem right now Boston, it's suburbs and nearby communities are on lockdown.

Don't leave leave your homes, checkpoints on the roads, transit is suspended, nobody gets in or out of the metro.

To search for one man

Los Angeles recently went through a similar yet much less extreme measure on the hunt for Chris Dorner.

I've read similar stories how the entire city of New York was frozen looking for Ronell Wilson

Would it even be possible to pull something off like this in the D?

Maybe the freeways could be shut down with checkpoints but there's so many little roads between city and suburb, suburb and other suburb and it's so huge geographically.

I'd say I'm glad we don't have to deal with that nonsense, but someone did try to blow up a plane over us twice a few years ago.
    I don't feel very warm and fuzzy with the DPD, but I have seen them respond in difficult times, and I was pleasantly surprised. I'm sure there is training being done, and a plan of action for when the shit hits the fan.

Quote Originally Posted by MommaDrizzly View Post

Not only that. The search was a miserable failure. They find the guy a half mile from where he was last seen only after a homeowner notices and calls it in. Also, it's shortly after the "all clear" in the area is given. It was pretty embarrassing the way everyone comes out and shouts USA! USA! Let's face it. They achieved everything they set out to do and people are dead and maimed for life. Nothing to cheer about just because the guy is caught.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I don't know if "profit" is the motivator here. Read some of the posts both here and other places on the internet. The minute someone in authority asks to look in you bag, out comes the "my civil rights" card. Peter Bergman's article brings up some interesting questions about these "first time" bomb makers. Beginner's luck, or a trained operative? Maybe there was information they traveled to and met with questionable people. Either way, I'd rather some POS rights get violated then good people ending up dead or as amputees.
    Good people have ended up dead and as amputees fighting for those rights through out the history of this country to protect those rights ,right or wrong.

For this country to lay down and give up those rights would make those who sacrificed be in vain,we pay a price for the freedoms that we have and most of us have never witnessed what it is like not to have them and seem to not have a tendency to fully understand the meaning and reasons behind those rights.

Not to you personally but I do not know you but there was a time when I signed up ready to give my life to protect those rights for you and those who come after me,I for one would never lay down those rights to insure a level of security that can never be obtained ,for those who would there are a few south amercian countries and others that I am sure they could move to experience what it is like to have no rights.

The short answer to this thread's question is yes. I witnessed that in 1967. In my neighborhood, Warren near Woodward, there was a National Guard troop at every intersection, law enforcement vehicles buzzing up and the streets. Nightfall was a bit difference but in the end it prevailed and quelled the rebellion.

The real question is for how long. Look at the Baghdad example. It was a relatively simple matter to occupy it; holding it for the long term was problematic.

And when you leave, then what happens? Unless the core problems which led to the occupation are resolved, nothing will change.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    there was a time when I signed up ready to give my life to protect those rights for you and those who come after me,I for one would never lay down those rights to insure a level of security that can never be obtained ,for those who would there are a few south amercian countries and others that I am sure they could move to experience what it is like to have no rights.
    For that, Richard, I am truly grateful. All I ask is to evaluate the situation, and lay the blame on those who actually took away our rights, not those who are merely put in charge to enforce the new laws and protect us.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-20-13 at 11:29 AM.

lock Detroit down? did you even see the pictures from Boston? it looked like downtown on any given day past 5:00

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    For that, Richard, I am truly grateful. All I ask is to truly evaluate the situation, and lay the blame on those who actually took away our rights, not those who are merely put in charge to enforce the new laws and protect us.

Thank you, not to divert the thread but that came out in the Nuremberg trials , I was just following orders.

It is sad the world we now live in and no clear lines ,I think what has happened will be studied and see if we learned from 1967,the towers and now and what has changed and how to react in the best way in the future ,maybe not.

[[SAR)
    Last edited by Richard; April-20-13 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    did you even see the pictures from Boston? it looked like downtown on any given day past 5:00
    Yes, I tuned into CNN for a few minutes yesterday to get an update on the drama. The reporter was in Downtown Boston talking about how eerily quiet and empty it was... but there were more people walking around Boston in the midst of a lockdown than are walking around Detroit on any given day.

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    Yes, I tuned into CNN for a few minutes yesterday to get an update on the drama. The reporter was in Downtown Boston talking about how eerily quiet and empty it was... but there were more people walking around Boston in the midst of a lockdown than are walking around Detroit on any given day.
    It was more so a request for the public to lock down not like Detroit in 1967 where it seems not so much as a request.

I live in a very quiet very civil neighborhood near Belle Isle. Very surprised to see major camera video equipment on my block corner. Be nice if any street lights worked on Vernor but we have surveilance intact???.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast