Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Dan Gilbert, Please Don't Demolish the Metropolitan Building

For some reason I cannot copy the link from Curbed Detroit who is speculating that the fate may be possiable ?

Would be sad to see but I guess it would happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    For some reason I cannot copy the link from Curbed Detroit who is speculating that the fate may be possiable ?

Would be sad to see but I guess it would happen.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...tropolitan.php

Thank you subsidized.

I'm going completely off my own suspicion and saying... RUMOR!! I cannot imagine Dan Gilbert demolishing such a beautiful building...shell or not. Detroit needs these structures especially at such an important location.

In this day and time, this would be a tragedy. Especially from a guy who has the financial means and connections to save this building.

So far all of Dan Gilbert owned building upgrades have been "easy"... that is to say they were well cared for buildings that required little serious restoration.

So his "historic preservation" credentials... have yet to be determined... and now that he has a restoration challenge... let's hope he passes the test.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    So far all of Dan Gilbert owned building upgrades have been "easy"... that is to say they were well cared for buildings that required little serious restoration.

So his "historic preservation" credentials... have yet to be determined... and now that he has a restoration challenge... let's hope he passes the test.
    Well you might want to take a gander at this it may give one some different thoughts,now that I have overcome the smart phone link copy thing.

http://blog.preservationnation.org/2.../#.UXCSqIl5mc0

In the comments section there is a link ,he was approved for the demolition of the landmark building with no solid plans in place.

Based on that it is about the dollar and anything in the way gets demolished,nice to see these cities have a savior ,to bad it could be one you would sell your soul to have.
    Last edited by Richard; April-18-13 at 07:57 PM.

Gilbert doesn't have a preservation record.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011...ommission.html

At the very least the Metropolitan Building lot would make a horrible spot for a parking deck, so he must at least have some sort of occupied use planned for this spot.

...Unless of course he picks up the Wulitzer Building too.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorath View Post
    Gilbert doesn't have a preservation record.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011...ommission.html
    The update is it is gone , another parking lot , I wonder if Greektown needs more parking lots? I guess in Detroit home of the automobile could also become home of the parking lot.

Dan's into making money. I don't think there's money in tearing down AND building it back up. I'd say RUMOR.

I hear he is going to buy the old Wayne County Building and tear it down to put up a McDonalds with a Drive-Thru!

Quote Originally Posted by 48091 View Post
    Dan's into making money. I don't think there's money in tearing down AND building it back up. I'd say RUMOR.
    It is cheaper and faster to build new verses renovate,I used to get $110 per sq ft new build and $180 per sq ft renovate.The last historic hotel we did,it took over 90 days just for the plasters to recreate 30% of the ornate ceiling in the ball room,could have sheet rocked it in a day.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I hear he is going to buy the old Wayne County Building and tear it down to put up a McDonalds with a Drive-Thru!
    You really have to think outside of the box with that group,try a drive through mortgage center ,1 st window drop off the paperwork 2nd window pick up the check.

Mortage express is proud to offer our new drive through service ,try our grand opening special loaded with no interest ,easy qualify,and no payments for the first 90 days.

Due to menu board size the fine print will be mailed to you new home within the first 180 days.
    Last edited by Richard; April-18-13 at 09:06 PM.

Can I get fries with that adjustable rate mortgage?

Can I get fries with that adjustable rate mortgage?
    But of course ,
    To make it easier on your pocket book and because we like you we can tack the cost of those fries on to the end of your term.

But seriously, if anyone finds any actual information on what will happen to this building please say so! The article said that they'd turn it into a park... which seems unnecessary considering that there are so many parks right around there.

A public space is not necessarily a park

A public space is not necessarily a park
    It could be a decorative sidewalk... like Ilitch planned for The Women's Exchange Bldg. on GCP...

Quote Originally Posted by AuburnSpeedster View Post
    But seriously, if anyone finds any actual information on what will happen to this building please say so! The article said that they'd turn it into a park... which seems unnecessary considering that there are so many parks right around there.
    Maybe they meant "Park & Lock"?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    It could be a decorative sidewalk... like Ilitch planned for The Women's Exchange Bldg. on GCP...
    What I was thinking was something like a giant glassed in atrium that would connect the buildings along Woodward and Broadway. One thing people have to remember is that building is severely damaged from radioactivity and the damage done to it from trying to remove it. That is one building while I do find its facade interesting and iconic, I sure would not want anything to do with.

this blg is in a defined historic district, no? wouldnt he have to apply for demolition from the Historic District Commission? he has a pretty good track record of working with them, but i cant see them approving demolition for him on a blg like this.

he cant prove financial hardship, thats for sure. i call rumor on this at least until the next DHDC meeting, which is May 8th.

and didnt he already try to buy the Wurlitzer once? i'd say theres definitely more than meets the eye here. Curbed is like any other news source, and should be taken with grains and grains of salt at all times.
    Last edited by WaCoTS; April-19-13 at 11:22 AM.

What I was thinking was something like a giant glassed in atrium that would connect the buildings along Woodward and Broadway. One thing people have to remember is that building is severely damaged from radioactivity and the damage done to it from trying to remove it. That is one building while I do find its facade interesting and iconic, I sure would not want anything to do with.
    Wait... I thought the building was remediated of all radioactivity?? Or so it was stated in news items about the building. And also the building is not severely damaged... just stripped down to the bare concrete of each floor. The biggest complaint I heard about this building is that it has low ceilings. That might be bad for commercial use, but it should be OK for residential use.

Also... there are 2 alleys [[that come together V shaped).. surrounding the Metropolitan Building. How can they close the alleys? These businesses have dumpsters, and in the case of the restaurant on Broadway... kitchen vents going up the alley side. Although not impossible... how could they close the alleys, when they serve utility functions as well as garbage pickup?

I am reluctant to criticize Mr. Gilbert's development in Detroit. He has spent million$$ in the past three years and improved many buildings. His thousands of employees are welcome additions to the downtown environment.

But there is truth to the criticism that his organization is uninterested in tackling difficult National Register listed buildings. Bedrock had development control of the Lafayette Building for at least 2 years before Quicken moved its operations. During that two years, millions of dollars of additional vandalism damage was inflicted on the building. Bedrock bailed on the building after only cursory due diligence during the extended period of time it controlled the property's development rights. This large site on a main thoroughfare is now a park. Bedrock's failure to insist that DEGC secure the building speaks volumes as to that organization's interest in the difficult preservation projects. If Mr. Gilbert gets control of Metropolitan Building, there will certainly be a regrettable attempt to demolish.
    Last edited by swingline; April-19-13 at 12:52 PM.

Gilbert has The National Trust's attention in Cleveland right now... it will be interesting to see what becomes of it... It will also be interesting to see if he gets more attention for a similar scenario with the Metropolitan Building.

I don't live in Detroit or Michigan for that matter but I think that one person buying up all the real estate downtown is strange. I'll give you guys an example here and it'll hit home with all of you since it involves Detroit. When Detroit was booming and at it's peak population there was only one major industry and that being building cars. Well when that industry went down the economy of Detroit hit rock bottom, Dan Gilbert being the sole owner of several downtown buildings is pretty much the same thing. What happens if Gilbert runs into financial problems, I'm not saying he will but what happens if he does? Then all those downtown buildings he bought and renovated will go just like the auto industry did.

It doesn't make any sense, here in Chicago I don't think we have too many buildings owned by the same person and only one person at that. I don't even know who owns many of the buildings in Chicago. It just seems strange that Dan Gilbert is the only or one of the only people doing anything in Detroit.

And if the Metropolitan Building gets demolished so be it. I've looked at satelite views and seen some inside views of that building and it doesn't look like it's worth renovating. Let them demolish it for something better, you can't just save every single building just because it's historic.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast