Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Where was this church located at?

I found this picture online.
    It was tagged to have been the Old First Baptist Church in Detroit.
    That is was said to have been on Cass ave.
    Would anyone know the exact location on this one?
    Thanks for any and all input.Name:  Old First Baptist Church [[Cass Avenue).jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  40.4 KB

Cass and Temple is where this photo in the Burton Collection places it.

http://quod.lib.umich.edu/d/dpa1ic/x...Baptist+Church+

The 1905 Polk Detroit City directory places 1st Baptist at the NW corner of Bagg and Cass. Bagg would become Temple.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    The 1905 Polk Detroit City directory places 1st Baptist at the NW corner of Bagg and Cass. Bagg would become Temple.
    right where that ugly building is [[next to the MT)? when did the church get demolished??

This is the building that sits on the sight now. From the architects of the Metropolitan Building Weston & Ellington.

Hotel Fort Wayne 410 Temple built in 1926 Detroit, MI.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

This Guy Vinton design replaced the existing church around 1909.

First Baptist Church of Detroit 8601 Woodward Avenue built in 1909 Upper Piety Row Detroit, MI.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks for the info everyone.

Can someone PLEASE edit the title of this thread to delete the "AT"?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one...

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    This is the building that sits on the sight now. From the architects of the Metropolitan Building Weston & Ellington.

Hotel Fort Wayne 410 Temple built in 1926 Detroit, MI.
    what a waste

You've been on the west coast too long. Next you'll be trying to tell us that Meijer's doesn't have an "s" on the end of it.

Nah, they were more likely raised Catholic and when they read dangling prepositions it hurts like a stiff ruler across the backs of their hands. Probably part of their programming.

Quote Originally Posted by antongast View Post
    You've been on the west coast too long. Next you'll be trying to tell us that Meijer's doesn't have an "s" on the end of it.
    Or that Fordz doesn't have a "Z".
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; April-19-13 at 05:51 AM.

Yeah, we like our Kmart as Kmartz and Lahser rd as LASHER too! ------

I've been on the west coast for some time, but I NEVER asked where something was "at" even when I lived in Michigan. My schools had English classes, and I paid attention.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; April-19-13 at 02:18 PM.

"Ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I shall not put!" Does anyone know where that's from? Oops.

I've been on the west coast from some time, .
    What time are you from?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    What time are you from?
    Oops! Typing has never been my strong point. Unlike the title of the thread, my comment has been corrected.

I am for removing the "...AT" too. Heheh.. [[Seriously, please).

One that's always bothered me was, "THE Home Depot." I don't get it. Or why not, The Walmart, The Starbucks? Because it's stupid.

It's funny, after years of growing up on the east side, in unguarded moments I still say things like "where's the remote at?", or even "where you going at?" These constructions, along with phrases like "go ahead on," used to baffle people when I lived outside of the immediate Detroit area.

As for the subject in question, the church pictured at the beginning has a link to the Ft.Wayne/American Hotel. After the Baptists moved out of the building, it became the Detroit Temple of the fraternal order, the Knights of Pythias. In the 1920s the hotel business, like so many other types of businesses, was booming in Detroit, both for tourist and residential hotels. So, the Pythians put together a group to build the Ft. Wayne Hotel, which included a new meeting hall for the Knights with a separate entrance.