Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default High-end retail - Milieu to open in Midtown

I've heard - and actually, I've seen some choice merch in the window - that Milieu, the high-end, avant garde women's clothier now of Ferndale, will open a store in the N'namdi Center in Midtown.

This is very good news and very cool shopping for uber-fashionistas. In fact, this is a very big deal, for a retailer of this caliber to locate in Detroit.

[I don't read anything about the N'namdi Center for Contemporary Art here on DetYes. Some of the biggest and best events in Midtown Detroit happen there, the new-ish Seva restaurant is located therein, and it is the core of some of the coolest Midtown life.]

This is great news! Although, I have never heard of them. Any new retail is good! Especcially higher end! Detroit doesn't have enough of that!

Quote Originally Posted by marshamusic View Post
    I've heard - and actually, I've seen some choice merch in the window - that Milieu, the high-end, avant garde women's clothier now of Ferndale, will open a store in the N'namdi Center in Midtown.

This is very good news and very cool shopping for uber-fashionistas. In fact, this is a very big deal, for a retailer of this caliber to locate in Detroit.

[I don't read anything about the N'namdi Center for Contemporary Art here on DetYes. Some of the biggest and best events in Midtown Detroit happen there, the new-ish Seva restaurant is located therein, and it is the core of some of the coolest Midtown life.]
    Where is the N'Mandi center? I am glad that more boutiques are moving into the city. Midtown is underutilize when it come to retail especially for women. More shops along the Woodward corridor especially for women will make midtown/new center a nice destination place

Ah yes, the big four, Milan, Rome, Paris, and Ferndale.

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    Where is the N'Mandi center? I am glad that more boutiques are moving into the city. Midtown is underutilize when it come to retail especially for women. More shops along the Woodward corridor especially for women will make midtown/new center a nice destination place

The N'namdi Center for Contemporary Arts is a very elegant, modern arts gallery on E. Forest and Woodward. The gallery is part of an entire complex which wraps around the corner, ending in Seva, the vegan/veg restaurant.

The complex is just behind the Church's Chicken [[one reason that I doubt a "new" chicken place will work well here - discussed in an earlier thread). It's across Forest from the red brick Congregational Church. Many of the major, cool Midtown events happen here.

Milieu will be a grand addition; now, in Midtown, we have Flo's, The Peacock Room and Offin River Boutique. But between these places [[and a few others), I've not had to go to a single mall to shop for many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Ah yes, the big four, Milan, Rome, Paris, and Ferndale.
    Oh hush....obviously you haven't been in Milieu - wherein garment objets d'arts via Milan, Rome and Paris doth reside.

The N'namdi Center for Contemporary Arts is a very elegant, modern arts gallery on E. Forest and Woodward. The gallery is part of an entire complex which wraps around the corner, ending in Seva, the vegan/veg restaurant.

The complex is just behind the Church's Chicken [[one reason that I doubt a "new" chicken place will work well here - discussed in an earlier thread). It's across Forest from the red brick Congregational Church. Many of the major, cool Midtown events happen here.

Milieu will be a grand addition; now, in Midtown, we have Flo's, The Peacock Room and Offin River Boutique. But between these places [[and a few others), I've not had to go to a single mall to shop for many years.
    There is a boutique for women of all sizes call "The Black Dress" It is on Canfield between Woodward and John R. The store is next to a women's shoe store. The owner had once said that they are not getting the business she wanted. I told her that she should had set up shop on Woodward where people know that you exist. Many of these boutiques are on the side street and not on the main drag where people would notice them. Someone had said that Dress Barn was downtown. It was hidden away on Congress but not on Woodward. I hope that the Midtown area get more classy women's stores. That will bring life to the district.

There is a boutique for women of all sizes call "The Black Dress" It is on Canfield between Woodward and John R. The store is next to a women's shoe store. The owner had once said that they are not getting the business she wanted. I told her that she should had set up shop on Woodward where people know that you exist. Many of these boutiques are on the side street and not on the main drag where people would notice them. Someone had said that Dress Barn was downtown. It was hidden away on Congress but not on Woodward. I hope that the Midtown area get more classy women's stores. That will bring life to the district.

It is not the location, but the product, that does not appeal to the arts/fashionista crowd, especially of Midtown. There IS a market for it; probably on Avenue of Fashion, etc.

...and Dress Barn isn't my idea of classy, for sure.

It is compared to Walmart or Dollar General!

Being off-Woodward hasn't seemed to hurt Avalon Bakery.

Dress Barn was hidden? I've never bought a dress in my life [[really--or a barn, for that matter) but I remember it. So, being located in the heart of the Financial District a block from the Penobscot, Buhl, Ford Buildings and Cobo, and where sidewalks get as much, if not more pedestrian traffic as many parts of Woodward is hidden?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Being off-Woodward hasn't seemed to hurt Avalon Bakery.
    Or Flo's, a pillar of Mid-town, the hip clothing shop two doors from Avalon.

I had walked past the site today where Millieu will be operating. I wish that the store was in the same building that the Peacock Room is in. Milieu should had been on Woodward and not off to the side where a pedestrian shopper will have to find as well as motorist. I wish it success though I feel that retail such as this and the Black Dress misses their mark by not finding retail space on the main drag

It is not the location, but the product, that does not appeal to the arts/fashionista crowd, especially of Midtown. There IS a market for it; probably on Avenue of Fashion, etc.

I had never said that Dress Barn was classy but it caters to the average shopper who does not want to wear trendy or "ghetto fabulous" attire

I had never said that Dress Barn was classy but it caters to the average shopper who does not want to wear trendy or "ghetto fabulous" attire
    Ok, I hear you.

I had walked past the site today where Millieu will be operating. I wish that the store was in the same building that the Peacock Room is in. Milieu should had been on Woodward and not off to the side where a pedestrian shopper will have to find as well as motorist. I wish it success though I feel that retail such as this and the Black Dress misses their mark by not finding retail space on the main drag

It's a question of market. Milieu is in the exact right spot for the artsinistas that frequent Nnamdi, Seva, MOCAD. That is a very active area. And folks will drive to Midtown Milieu, just like they did to get to the Ferndale store.

The issue will be whether the students, artists, etc who are in that area can afford the art-wear in Milieu. I mean, a funky cotton coat can cost 2 grand.

But it will also be a destination for a certain kind of suburban ladies who lunch who'd like more than a DIA reason to come into the city and spend money. I have seen these women drop many thousands at a time, on the clothes at that store.

I do wonder, Statsu, if there would be more security at Park-Shelton, though they must have this issue worked out for them to set up shop there. I know the owner of Milieu has been pondering this for a very long time, this is no fast decision.

My only problem with the move is, it's gonna cost me more money. Now if we can get one of the Birmingham eyeglass stores to make that move, too.

I agree. How could a women's clothing store with the word Barn in it be classy???

What if the barn was full of arabian horses instead of chickens and goats?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    What if the barn was full of arabian horses instead of chickens and goats?
    Also Statsu, there's much more parking at N'namdi center than at Park Shelton, which is likely important since, as I said, they surely anticipate Milieu as a destination in Midtown.