Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Ian Cooke, Cello Phenom, Coming to Town in early May

OK, I'm going to try to do this right...I'm never good at advanced planning and promotion, but feel the strong need to do so for this community, since I've gotten too good at reporting an event after it happened.

Five years ago, we were surprised by a last-minute addition to Audra Kubat's fourth or fifth monthly Dinner & a Show home concerts in Woodbridge. She got a call from bandmates of Colorado-based avant garde cellist Ian Cooke, who was booked to play the Toronto Pride Festival and was catching small gigs along his drive across the country.

In Detroit, we had the extra advantage of meeting a few of his bandmates with corporate day jobs, since they planned to fly into Metro then continue into Canada with the rest of the group.

Every one of these Denverites were just wonderful people, having the advantage of the extra oxygen nearer sea level certainly helped. I've kept in touch with Ian O'Dougherty, Cooke's guitarist, video producer, and occasional booking agent, ever since. I've always intended on finding a way to bring his musical genius back to town, and showcase his art properly. I've finally found my home to do such things.

We've undertaken a grand effort at the Detroit Contemporary division of CAID [[the Contemporary Arts Institute of Detroit) to revamp the music room. Using the existing equipment...all rescued from various states of disrepair, but still state-of-the-art enough for a venue of this size and intent...and through the volunteer energy of two student groups from Ann Arbor...we are ready to finally stage some serious music events.

Over the summer, we will dedicate the room in memory of a very special person who used to play here often.

But for now, please consider joining us for either the Wednesday night or Sunday afternoon performance from Ian Cooke. These are May 8th and 12th, repectively. The Sunday show will co-incide with the closing of the current art exhibits, as well.

Since meeting him, he has earned awards from the local Denver music press and an independent music webzine. You can read about them, and catch a hint of his music style on his site: http://www.iancookemusic.com/

I'll have more details as the weeks progress.

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; April-17-13 at 07:51 PM.

Wow, this is the week. Time does indeed fly.

Ian is on the road towards us now. I'm cleaning house.

Wednesday afternoon, he will be on the Craig Fahle show along with Jackie Strez, the manager of the Detroit Contemporary division of CAID.

The Wednesday show will start at 8 o'clock, and Sunday's is at three in the afternoon. Sunday's show will co-incide with the current art exhibit's closing, so we will have additional refreshments. Both shows will feature a minimal cover charge of $5. Ian will have CDs and DVDs for sale as well.

There is a very good chance that Audra Kubat will open the shows, but I will only have confirmation of that tonight. She was mightily enthusiastic at Saturday night's Fund Raiser for the Rodriquez for Mayor campaign, but didn't fully know her schedule.

More later...

Oh my, that was fun.

Just got back from WDET's studios...it was odd walking in there outside of pledge time...and Ian wowed Craig and Alex. I had the same awe as the first time I ever saw him play, but it is really great to see where he's gone musically in five years.

Segment should air tomorrow, as far as we know.

But, tonight's show is going to be great. Audra will arrive straight from work just after 8, so...doors at 7:30, but the music won't start until 8:15.

Sunday's show will be earlier, since the closing party for the art exhibit will be happening at the same time. IF the party is still strong when she gets off work, Audra wants to do a longer set, but it will be after Ian plays.

The doors at Detroit Contemporary will be open Sunday at noon, but we've an inaugural yoga session for the first hour in the music room or back yard. We'll have some recorded music, but the live portion will not start before 3. Ian is driving back from Chicago that morning, and I'm trying to give him slack enough to enjoy the drive through the Indiana dunes.

So, I'm excited to stage our first extra-Detroit music talent at the newly refurbished stage in the music room at the Detroit Contemporary division of CAID...come visit us on Rosa Parks just north of Warren, across from the Boy Scout headquarters...look for the painted fence, but the door is around the corner near the alley.

Tonight, 8pm. and/or Sunday 3pm. You won't be disappointed.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; May-08-13 at 03:55 PM.

Couldn't get here in time...but the interview aired on Craig Fahle's show at the beginning of his second hour. The whole show will be replayed tonight.

It was really fun watching the expression on Craig's face as Ian built up his layers of sound.

Come on out Sunday afternoon. Audra has promised to come play after her day job...as long as the party is still rockin'.

5141 Rosa Parks, just north of Warren...across from the Boy Scout headquarters. $5 cover, and you'll want to bring some extra for a CD or two, and his latest is available on vinyl also. I was impressed with the recording quality, as well as the unique perspective with which Ian approaches his art.

Doors open at noon for a new yoga program starting up here, then the art exhibit closing party will begin to roll...and we expect to have live music by three p.m.

Hope to see a few familiar faces...
    Last edited by Gannon; May-10-13 at 03:13 PM.

Well...it was sparsely attended, but those who showed...on Mother's Day...were very attentive and appreciative. Many mentioned hearing him on the radio. Nobody was disappointed, save perhaps me.

But then again, promoting shows is a new learning curve for me, obviously. New rule, take all standard holidays and the hallmark derivatives OFF the calendar, unless the show directly appeals to those expected to adhere to them.

Ian was VERY pleased by the reception both here and in Chicago...he can feel momentum building in his career outside Denver now. It was great to see the development in five years, and the rapport and friendship we've built will continue to grow.

One very precocious three-year-old stole the show, though. Ian mentioned that they now had a little addition to their smartphone to accept credit cards. Immediately a wee voice called out..."How? Do you have a little cash register in there?"

Ian's reply? "It's a crazy robot world out there."

Yes. Yes it is.

I will build on this visit for the next time Ian Cooke graces Detroit with his music. One of my sisters in unofficial Detroit Ambassadorship wants to get him together with Dixon's Violin next time. I think she may be onto something.

If you don't yet know about Dixon's Violin...you've got to get out more.

Cheers!
    Last edited by Gannon; May-13-13 at 08:36 AM.