Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: 4th st. Fair

Default 4th st. Fair

Has anyone heard if fourth street fair is going on or not this year. You guys at this forum seemed to be the only ones who knew anything last year, so I'm coming to you to try to find some answers. Thank you for any information you might have.

also, if you want to just talk about how cool 4th street fair was that would be cool too.

I don't know, but there was absolutely no support from the City of Detroit last year, I was told.
    It has always been a nice celebration with a good, laid back vibe.

This is one of those events no support from the city is best the only year the city showed up they gave the vendors a hard time and its been down hill from there from what I understand the city had threatened to crack down and the neighborhood didn't want the hassle from the city
    If they do have it I would recommend the date not be shown on websites like this and if there smart they will keep it out of Metro times and Real Detroit and do like they just did in Iran with the election protests texts, and social networks as screwy as that sounds
    This was hands down my favorite event of the summer in Detroit I went every year for years I miss it.
    It was laid back total fun, great bands great people, everyone got along I always stayed for the whole day and night

Ah, what support would an event expect from the city? Is there a reason the event organizers don't jump through the hoops and get a event permit?

Default shhhhhh

The city tried to support it 2 years ago by sending in an inspector. He was looking for permits and health code violations for food vendors permits for for this type of event has to be purchased from the city. I believe they cost near $500.00. The fair was delayed for about 4 hours while he hung around . We vendors had a lot invested and eventualy the fair went on that day however we couldnt take the chance on the following year. so that was it They found out about in on places such as this and the Metro Times. It was truly the last vestage of free enterprise in the city. I guess it just got too big. But there is always the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by ddaydetroit View Post
    This is one of those events no support from the city is best the only year the city showed up they gave the vendors a hard time and its been down hill from there from what I understand the city had threatened to crack down and the neighborhood didn't want the hassle from the city
    If they do have it I would recommend the date not be shown on websites like this and if there smart they will keep it out of Metro times and Real Detroit and do like they just did in Iran with the election protests texts, and social networks as screwy as that sounds
    This was hands down my favorite event of the summer in Detroit I went every year for years I miss it.
    It was laid back total fun, great bands great people, everyone got along I always stayed for the whole day and night
    Not that this is news to me, but after reading your post, I get a feeling that the city might be trying to clear the area out? Take into consideration the school they built there a few years ago, and the drug free school zone laws that follow the school.

Drug free school zone, in fourth street. Lets be realistic. Is there some long standing grudge regarding the 94 interchange debacle from years ago?

Just some speculation.

Blarf Guest

I heard the 5th street fair is better. It's more X-Treme.

Quote Originally Posted by Blarf View Post
    I heard the 5th street fair is better. It's more X-Treme.
    LOL, yeah, since it's the lodge.

anyway, thanks for posting all of you that did, your right, after that fiasco I'd keep it hush, hush as well, that's why we used to only do fliers and word of mouth, we didn't want it big, like Dally in the Ally is now. [[or was last time I was there)

Thanks again. ^_^

Years back, I used to learn about it by looking for flyers on information tables of bars and such in the Wayne State area. Maybe that is how to look for it from now on.

If I understand the responses, the organizers do not want to pay the supposed $500 in event fees and the city's "support" is really a euphemism for "looking the other way and ignoring city ordinances." It's not like there's a dearth of events in this town. Others groups seem to pull it off. If there are no sponsors to cover this cost, you could always approach Council for a waiver of fees. Or contact the New Center Council for help.

And if it's true that the Fourth Street Fair isn't legit with the city, that will likely have major negative repercussions in the future.

MDOT has plans to widen I-94 and put in a service drive. That will wipe out a major chunk of the Fourth Street neighborhood. You can probably kiss the fair goodbye if that comes to fruition.

If you want the city to stand beside you and help block this, now is the time to start nurturing a friendly relationship.

I just want to point out that what made the festival so great was that it worked OUTSIDE the system. Instead of applying for permits, opening it up to vendors from across the city, they had kept it local for years and years, like a block party or street party. People mixed up weird drinks, served food, and took care of the trash.

Now, opening it up to city inspections generates a lot of money for the city. It also floods events like this with vendors of sunglasses, shea butter and other bullshit that has no place in a community event.

Before everybody starts getting all excited about permits and dotting I's and working within the system, let's remember that the lawlessness was what made it so great to begin with.

If you want to live outside the law you have to live honest. --Bob Dylan

I heard it's on this weekend, anybody have info on who's playing?

Stromberg2

There's some information on my blog - www.detnews.com/melodyblog

I know the Amino Acids are playing, but I can't find any other bands scheduled. They try to keep it underground [[I guess so they don't get busted).

Damn health code enforcers, ruining everybody's fun!

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...oses_perfectly

To requote Norwalk:

SHHH!
    Less said, the better.
    Damn. New job, and I am scheduled to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I just want to point out that what made the festival so great was that it worked OUTSIDE the system. Instead of applying for permits, opening it up to vendors from across the city, they had kept it local for years and years, like a block party or street party. People mixed up weird drinks, served food, and took care of the trash.

Now, opening it up to city inspections generates a lot of money for the city. It also floods events like this with vendors of sunglasses, shea butter and other bullshit that has no place in a community event.

Before everybody starts getting all excited about permits and dotting I's and working within the system, let's remember that the lawlessness was what made it so great to begin with.

If you want to live outside the law you have to live honest. --Bob Dylan
    agreed, it's why I stopped going to Dally in the Ally, it got to big.

anyway, I just heard 4th street fair is canceled due to weather and not enough money.

If I was all of you I'd go anyway though. >_>

I went anyway, and there was a bit of activity--nothing like prior years, though. And nothing of interest to city inspectors of any kind.

Anyone know the name of the band playing in the yard around 11pm? Very entertaining! I'd like to hear more from them.

Also there's supposed to be a puppet show [[?) and a couple bands playing sometime today, at some Trumbull space. Any info on that?

Thanks!

My guess would be the at Trumbullplex

Yes, Trumbullplex, that's it.

Any hunches on the name of that band?

The puppet show, that would be Maurice Greania. I talked to someone in the Space band, I think they may have played. They usually help with the puppets too.

Space Band looks like fun-- sorry I missed them!

These guys were not in costume. One of them did play a plastic melodica at one point. Two of them looked to have military hair cuts. One shaggy-haired fellow was quite the energetic dancer. I think there were four of them, though it was a bit hard to see the entire stage from where I was.

Can anyone PM me when and where this might be? I'm down to check it out.

Thanks!

-Tahleel